The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 20, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Furtekjr

Mossberg 500 - Frustration

Hey Everyone,

A few months ago, I purchased a brand new Mossberg 500. Because of stuff going on in the "real world," I didn't get to use it as much as I would like (I shot a few times 25-50 shells total). A few weeks ago, I went out an shot my first round of sporting clays (100 clays total). After shooting for the first time, I tried to reengage the safety and it wouldn't budge from the "off" position. I finished up my round (unloaded and chamber open of course when moving from station to station) and when I got home I tried again and the safety worked fine. I figured that is was some sort of fluke.

Last weekend, I went out and used my trap launched to launch some trap. Again, after this first shot, I tried to reengage the safety and it wouldn't budge. I continued to shoot and shot 110-115 more shells. I then launched a trap, mounted the gun and pulled the trigger. Nothing. I looked at the safety and it was positioned midway between safe and fire, but appeared to be engaged. The safety button itself felt loose.

I am more than a little bit frustrated with Mossberg right now. I recognize that the Mossberg 500 is a utility shotgun, but, in my opinion, it shouldn't break within the first several times I try to use it.

I emailed Mossberg about having it serviced under the warranty and they said to send it back to them. I am frustrated that I have to pay for it to be shipped back to them as well. Anyone have any recommendations on how to ship a gun like this?

Thanks!

FurtekJR
Old February 20, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
ronto

Spray some CLP or equavalent and let it soak in overnight in the horizontal position. Maybe just gunked-up with factory lub.
If you bought it at Wal-Mart, they will return it to the factory at no cost to you during the first year of ownership.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old February 20, 2011, 02:58 PM   #3
zippy13

I suspect sending the gun to Mossberg will exceed the cost of the repair. Rest assured, you are not the first person to express dissatisfaction with the M-500 safety. Many folks chose to replace the factory unit, have a look at http://www.brownells.com/1/3/mossber...ty-replacement.
Old February 20, 2011, 04:22 PM   #4
aTm papi

hmm?

my mossberg has been great. i've put over 500 rounds without any hiccups.

Gig 'Em!
Old February 20, 2011, 04:34 PM   #5
g.willikers

That's the one and persistent flaw in a 500.
And it's been one for a very long time.
Just buy yourself a steel replacement and carry on.
It's an easy fix.
Old February 20, 2011, 05:19 PM   #6
911JB

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=619
Here is a link to a pictorial that I did on the disassembly and reassembly of a 500. If you disassemble it you can then clean and/or replace the safety.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:34 PM   #7
SBD Firearms

Shipment to Mossberg

To save some shipping cost just send the receiver.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:54 PM   #8
dreamweaver

ask mossberg to send you a prepaid shipping label.
they will do it if you push them for it.
mention the FACTORY defective safety mechanism.
worked for me.
Old February 21, 2011, 12:32 AM   #9
Kmar40

The cause is usually an overtorquing of the bolt that holds the stock on. Or an aftermarket bolt that is too long. If you look inside that silver L shaped thing gets bent by the bolt.
Old February 21, 2011, 01:40 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

i don't have a Mossberg but have heard of a couple of complaints with the safety. One has to do with the bolts mentioned by Kmar40. Another involves staking a detent ball. See http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-146938.html and the post by mnrivrat. I don't know if switching out he plastic safety slide without staking the detent ball will do the trick but I think it would if the problem you are encountering is due to your detent ball becoming wedged in the plastic safety button.