6-5-2147 he says he thinks it went to egypt for a while
or some thing what do you guys think.the finish appears
to very original and it seams to work perfect he has shot it alot
well not alot.anyway these #,s take up the length of the
butt and are about an 1 1/4 tall not stensils hand pianted
not by an artist for shore
Old October 4, 2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Chris_B

Very difficult to tell. Most identifiers like this meant something to the unit or person that did it but not necessarily to anyone else. However, I do not think that this number is a definite indication of any foreign service, unless something in the way of records someplace or other exist. It's an old rifle, lots of things could have happened to it

Some photos of the rifle and closeups of the markings and any stamp the stock may still bear could be useful. A lot of M1 helmets bear hand-painted numbers, and typically but not always these would be a soldiers serial number. I have a wartime M1 helmet and liner that has the number '171' in it. Who knows what that was for
Old October 4, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3
SAIGAFISH

i like this little gun

the way my stepdad put it was that these guns were loaned
to egypt for some amount of time i dont know how long
but i dont know were that info came from.i wish i know how
to post pics it has all its serial #,s and markings there are
some markings on the under side of the barrel that are pretty rough
but it looks like its the name of some place in VA. I also
ordered some reproduction canvas carry cases for them
the place i ordered from even had the parratrooper case.
i need to find a bayonet any help
Old October 4, 2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Chris_B

Understood. M1 rifles and M1 carbines were sent all over the world, on loan to or sold to the allies of the USA. The numbers you see painted on your stock may be from it's service overseas with a foreign military. Or it may not be a sign of that. It may have served in Egypt. It may not have. I'm not sure how anyone can pin down where a particular M1 carbine or M1 rifle served except by some unusual means, such as somebody recorded a serial number in some document, which was not commonly done.

I suspect that the stamp you see on the barrel reads "Arlington VA", which was the location of an importer called 'Blue Sky', making your carbine (or perhaps just the barrel which was previously on an import carbine) an "Import". Nothing necessarily wrong with that at all, although some people had bad experience with the rifles that Blue Sky imported. The stamp you see is an import mark, because no USGI barrel stamp reads "Arlington VA", or anyplace in Virginia

Bayonets can be found on places like Gunbroker.com. Bear in mind that no WWII carbine had a bayonet lug, although the bayonet lug does impart a potential for more accuracy (as long as the bayo isn't on it!). All bayonet lugs were put on post war; all USGI carbines were built for WWII

To post photos, get a free account at a place like photobucket.com . I recommend photobucket, it seems the easiest service to use

Register at photobucket, and upload photos to your online album at their website. Put the pointer on the thumbnail of the photo, and a list of 'tags' comes up. Then copy and paste the last 'tag' in the list you see under the photo, the one called 'image code'. That last tag is typically the one most websites want to 'see'. There will be no need to type [img] [img/] or anything like that if you copy and paste the entire tag from there to a post you make here.
Old October 4, 2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Tom2

Probably either Korea or Israel if it has hand painted numbers on the stock, usually the Korean imports have that sort of thing, usually white paint. I don't know about Egypt getting US carbines, weren't they sort of Soviet partners in the post war era for a long time?
Old October 6, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
SAIGAFISH

american made

it is an inland so it was built by gmc in the great U.S.A AND
this is turning into a duplicat thead so .i cant figure out how to close
so go to my otherr m1 thead

Last edited by SAIGAFISH; October 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: need to close
Old October 7, 2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Drachenstein

Armorers in unit armsrooms often mark the weapons for quick accountability. Granted every armsroom is required to weekly inventory by serial number but the marking will often tell an armorer who hasn't turned in their weapon yet without going to the serial numbers. The numbers will often also coincide with their place in the rack.
Old October 7, 2009, 06:43 PM   #8
SAIGAFISH

please close