The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 4, 2009, 07:04 PM   #1
govmule84

Security Six Sights

My, that title was alliterative, wasn't it, now?

Gentlemen and Ladies...

I have a Ruger Security Six I care to replace the sights on. The SS, as you may now, is different from the Speed and Service Sixes in that it has target (adjustable) sights. I hate these, and mine are all dinged up.

I've got the rest of the gun all polished out, but these sights look awful. I'd like, ideally, to convert it to a fixed sight model of some sort, but, barring that, I'd look to fit it with a new set of targets. I carry this gun fairly often, and it is a 2 3/4" barrel, and for me, the target sights are not necessary. It's a wonderfully accurate gun; I simply do not ever use it for target work.

Problem is, I can't find anything.
Do any of you pros have any advice or suppliers for me?

Thanks!
Liam
Old June 4, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Bowen makes a nice rear sight for Rugers.
Old June 14, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
govmule84

...as a brief followup-

Got the sights. They didn't technically fit my gun without using a punch to flatten a staking dimple on them - which is irritating. They come in a two pack, and the aperture on both of them, for my liking, was waaaay too big. To big to be useful at distances greater than the stock target sights, and super-way-too-big for stuffing in my holster (My Security Six is a 2 3/4" barrel; I pack it often.)

The sights wore off their phospohor coating really quickly, and, being the size they were, simply were snag- and bend-prone. I think the guy had a great idea, just could have been executed better.

I took the stock sights off, polished them up to match the rest of the gun, and voila, nice, accurate sights. I sighted it back in, and they grouped in four inches at fifty feet - perfectly acceptable for a carry gun, and darn good considering that was offhand, without my glasses.

I'd avoid them, unless these were going on a safe queen that doesn't get carried often. And if you don't carry it, perhaps it is because it has a longer barrel - which would probably propel you to sights with a smaller aperture. I'm not talking peeps, but goodness, this ring was purty big.