The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2007, 01:58 PM   #1
jkmola

Target/Defense Bullet for .45 ACP?

I reload now for a few rifle calibers, and I'm now rounding up the stuff to reload for my Para-Ordnance P13 in .45 ACP so that I can afford to shoot it as much as I would like to. So here's what I'm wondering:

Which type of bullet would provide the best combination of -

a) Cost effectiveness, i.e., cheap to shoot! This is the highest priority.

b) Decent accuracy. Doesn't have to be match quality, bit I don' want to be chucking marbles, either.

c) Some viability as a defense round.

The number one reason for this round would be target practice. I have a few boxes of Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok around for defense purposes. But I would like to load up several hundred rounds of the target load, and would like to feel like I wasn't handicapped too bad if worse came to worst. So what do ya think? Round nose, flat nose, SWC? Copper, lead? Heavy, light? Thanks.

James
Old February 7, 2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Cast lead 200 grain semi-wadcutter of the usual H&G 68 style bullet shape over 5.0 grains of Bullseye will function the gun with full power recoil springs, will reduce your recoil a little, will have the same muzzle energy as military ball ammo and is known to be a good stopper with slightly less penetration than 230 grain bullets, but more than a 9 mm.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 7, 2007, 03:08 PM   #3
rwilson452

I really like the coated 200 gr SWC from Bear Creek Supply. In my .45ACP pistols. I prefer to load W231 or HP38 for powder. I hesitate to give you a powder charge or OAL as your firearm may like something different. A moderate powder charge and a SAMMI spec OAL should get you started. With the coated bullets leading is not an issue. It is my understanding a 200gr bullet is what JMB had in mind for the .45ACP until the army insisted on a heavier bullet. These bullets do expand nicely when that hit something solid and punch nice neat holes in paper. Some .45s don't like to feed SWC bullets but I have had no difficulty with these.
Old February 8, 2007, 12:14 PM   #4
jkmola

Hey, thanks guys. When you say H&G 68 bullet shape, I assume this is what you are talking about - correct?

It sounds like the only issue that MAY crop up is reliable feeding. Probably depends on the individual pistol. I think maybe I'll run a small batch and see how they do. If any problems pop-up, then maybe I'll look at one of the two below, to ease any loading issues.

Old February 9, 2007, 05:01 PM   #5
The Real Wyatt

I use these from Midway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midway.jpg (19.4 KB, 85 views)
Old February 9, 2007, 08:42 PM   #6
alsmith

Question on Laser Cast Bullets

Do the Laser Cast Bullets that are made of an alloy, lead up the barrell on the 45?

Al
Old February 10, 2007, 09:34 AM   #7
Bailey Boat

In my personal opinion you should NEVER use a hand load for a defense load, too much potential for some BHL attorney to be able to probe you on if worst came to worst.......

As far as a "practice" load, I use the plated bullets (Ranier or Berry's) from Midway in 185 grain (same as my carry loads) and load them with 5.1 gr of HP38. I get the same recoil impulse and the accuracy is far above average. I have one series 80 Colt that does 1.5" @ 25 yds and my carry 45 is about 2.5" @ 25 yards...... These are loaded in random cases and it doesn't seem to effect the accuracy....
Old February 10, 2007, 12:06 PM   #8
jkmola

Quote:
In my personal opinion you should NEVER use a hand load for a defense load, too much potential for some BHL attorney to be able to probe you on if worst came to worst.......
I agree with you. I'm not looking for a defense load - that's what my Hydra-Shoks are. I'm looking for a practice round with a bullet that could do double duty, if the need should unexpectedly arise. In the case that two totally different bullets gave nearly the same level of performance for accuracy AND were cheap enough for practice, but one was adequate for defense and one was known for being terrible - I would choose the one that was adequate. You know, just in case you were caught "with your pants down", so to speak.

Maybe this is the wrong mindset and I hope it doesn't come off the wrong way, but if the event occured that was so terrible that I felt compelled to use my weapon, whether the rounds in my mag were reloads or not would not be first on my worry list. I just don't want to find myself in the position of protecting myself or my family from deadly harm and thinking "Crap, all I have is these practice rounds that won't stop a 'possum"!

Back to the bullet - I have seen "Berry" pop up a few times now on some other threads, and now you mention it. I'm thinking maybe I'll give that one a try and see how it shoots in my pistol. Thanks for the load info.

James

Last edited by jkmola; February 10, 2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added some text
Old February 10, 2007, 05:36 PM   #9
The Real Wyatt

It was Alsmith who said:
"Do the Laser Cast Bullets that are made of an alloy, lead up the barrell on the 45?"

No, not with Bullseye they don't.

I also shoot the Laser Cast .45 255 grainers outta my Blackhawk at > 1490 fps and outta my Rossi (LSI) lever .45 at > 1750 fps without gas checks and without leading. These are some HARD lead bullets.
Old February 11, 2007, 02:58 AM   #10
Slopemeno

The H&G 68 is really a great bullet. With a decent taper crimp it'll feed in guns that wont feed ball regularly. Drive it fast enough and it works great on Whitetail or for other hunting.
Old February 11, 2007, 09:13 PM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Do the Laser Cast Bullets that are made of an alloy, lead up the barrell on the 45?
I tried 2 loads. With Titegroup, I did get a lot of leading. With Unique, no leading. The way it was explained to me, Titegroup is a hot, fast powder. Hot enough that it melts/softens the base of the bullet, allowing lead to deposit. Dunno if its true. Just know that Titegroup=leading in my .45 with Laser Cast bullets. Unique=no leading.