The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 1999, 06:04 PM   #1
bookkie

I'm looking for two different powders to load up some 357's. A real fast one that will finish it's burn in 2 1/2" of barrel and a slower one that will fill a 8". does anyone have any recomendations? I'm
also looking for a good source for the powder and primers. Best prices I've come up with so far is $50 per 5000 on the primers and $14 per pound on powder.

Thanks,

Richard

P.S. Golden rule of reloaders.... It don't save you any money... It just allows you to shoot more for what you spend...
Old March 17, 1999, 07:21 AM   #2
Ray VanderLinden

Bullseye is about as fast a powder as I can find in my load book I don't think you gave a bullet weight so I can't give you powder weights.
As for the longer barrel Unique, 2400, Blue Dot, and H110 spring to mind. Blue Dot, and H110 burn cleaner than the other two. Unique tends to give you the most loads per pound. Unique also can be used in just about any hand gun or Shotgun load there is, and even some reduced power rifle loads. And I've heard that 2400 is very consistant. (but very dirty)
Hope this helps a bit.
Old March 18, 1999, 03:19 PM   #3
Walt Welch

bookie; your prices sound very good. Buy enough primers and powder so that you can stick with the same lots (once you select a powder and primer that you like).

The American Rifleman did a study on velocity and bbl. lengths some years ago. They concluded that the powders that will produce the highest velocities in longer bbls. produce the highest velocities in shorter bbls. I know that this doesn't seem reasonable, but it was the case.

Further, if you use a faster powder for maximum loads, you are risking a great deal. The pressure obtained tends to be more affected by the typical variables; powder lot, primer brand and lot, brass brand and lot, bullet brand and lot, handgun used, temperature, etc. It is easy to obtain overpressure trying to make maximum loads with fast powders.

I had a near death experience when in my 20's; there was this guy shooting his M 29 .44 Mag, and couldn't hit the target. I tried it out, and got all the shots in the black, but noticed the loads were really hot. He then told me how much Bullseye he was using, and I am sure I blanched. I hurriedly put my stuff away and got out of there.

I use 2400 or H-110 in my 3" SP-101, and have had good results. Likewise in my M 66 6" bbl.

Be extremely wary of using primer condition in an attempt to judge pressures. I was shooting some hot, but not max loads in my .357 (essentially the old Elmer Keith .38 Spl load which was really MUCH too hot). The recoil, and extraction seemed in line with the expected pressure. I looked at the (new) primers, WSPM's, and was horrified to see cratering, flow into the firing pin hole, and flattening. I went back to the identical loads I had loaded and fired, except with my usual Rem 5 1/2 small pistol Mag primers. These primers, as I had noted before, showed absolutely NO signs of over pressure; in fact, they looked like .38 Spl mid range loads! All things considered, I think that the pressure was the same in the two different loads, but the primer cup was softer on the WSPM's. Had I been trying to judge pressure with the Rem's, I would have been badly misled. So, be careful.

Hope this helps, Walt
Old March 18, 1999, 09:12 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

Try AA9. It has the right characteristics for 'hot' 357 loads.
Old March 20, 1999, 10:21 AM   #5
RJ in Rome NY

I agree , Bullseye is a good powder.. it burns fairly clean and is quite popular
amoungst the competitive shooters..
As far as prices go.. I have seen Bullseye
and Unique on sale at Natchez for 44.96 for
4 lbs of powder..
Additionally, remember that the hottest load
isn't always the most accurate..
Old March 20, 1999, 05:27 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

If you MUST use only one powder you can't do much better than Universal Clays. It's like Unique except MUCH cleaner (and meters more accurately in some measures).
Old March 20, 1999, 08:30 PM   #7
ga41

I agree with weshoot,Universal is tough to beat.You want get top velocity,but top velocity doesn't always equate to accuracy
Old March 20, 1999, 10:32 PM   #8
dundee

I have started to like imr4227 for all my magnum revolvers. Yes it does not give the highest velocity but the muzzle flash is much reduced. I am willing to shoot 1350 instead of 1450 if I do not have the flash I get with h110 or win 296.
ps. I shoot better with less flash/blast