The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 9, 2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Pops1085

High stress shotgun reloading tips anyone?

Just picked up a hd mossberg 500 with a stock that has a shell holder on it. Anyways I see 3 gun shooters speed reloading with their weak hand and going under the gun to dump a round in it (still weak hand) but I got to thinking,if something goes bump in the night and I need more than the 3 rounds my gun holds I'd probably reload with my strong hand to make sure it got done right. Maybe I'm off in this line of thinking and if so lemme know! How would you reload a shotgun when the excrement hits the ceiling occilator?
Old February 9, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

Pops, your 500 should hold more than 3 shells -- the standard capacity is 6. If it holds only 3, the magazine tube probably still has the dowel in it that's meant to limit the capacity for hunting. Remove the barrel (see owner's manual), point the gun at the floor, and shake it a few times; I'll bet that dowel will drop out.

As to reloading... practice, practice, practice. It does make sense to learn do it with your weak hand. And you should practice, practice, practice shooting the thing anyway, so there's your chance...

Last edited by Evan Thomas; February 9, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
tmorone

Best thing you can do is practice. I got some 12ga snap caps and practiced using them over-and-over, and over, and over and over... until it became pretty easy.

Under stress it does get more interesting, especially when you add walking or running into the mix. One thing I found that REALLY helped was joining in on some local action shotgun matches, 3-gun would work well too. Granted, nobody is shooting back but the stress of the buzzer and trying to get a decent time cranks up the urgency and exposes weaknesses.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
bt380

My newly purchased Mossberg Maverick 88 only held 3 shells in the tube. I removed the wooden dowel in tube so now it holds a total of 5. Find your shotty on the you-tube an see how to remove yours if that is possible. I like the Maverick for an under the bed shotty. I only take it out from under the bed every couple of month to cycle the ammo to prevent mushrooming and also to check the spring to ensure the last round functions in the cycling process. I clean it every 6 months. I swap my cycled ammo with my son who shoots skeet and he gives me new replacements. Gun stays clean and the ammo shoots fine. For quick reloading practice, you can practice with shotty snap caps. Practice feeding from underneath rolling the round in against the shotty frame and flipping it in with the finger tips. You can find that technique on you tube. You may change from primary storing rounds on the stock and add another storage forward. As you cycle back w/ an empty tube, you can finger another round into your hand to do the above roll in of the round. If you practice a lot, you can get quick enough. I keep a 40 cal as a backup. If you don't have any apartment neighbors or others in the firing line, use at least #4. It will kill wild boar zombies thru sheetrock!!! The lesser stuff may not. There is some nice defense rounds that fires rifled slugs and 3 BB's. It will make that shotty into a Benford 2000 model for sure. Know where your power and water travels thru the walls.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Pops1085

Thank you so much yea there was a dowel in there! I thought I heard something when I picked it up the first time but didn't put too much thought into it. 5+1 now baby man I thought that was weird that the mag tube looked long enough to hold more.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Pops1085

What a bitch that magazine spring was though! any tips on that too?
Old February 9, 2013, 10:53 PM   #7
bt380

Not sure how your mag tube (mt) is installed so I will use mine and you can modify accordingly. Before you remove the mag tube, note where the barrel engages the receiver mounts. We'll start with the mt screwed out of the receiver. Take a moment and clean the mt. Wipe the threads of the mt clean as well as the receiver threads that the mt goes into. Run a light oil on a barrel wipe thru the mt then use one of those auto store blue paper roll sheets and wipe out the mt. Then lightly wipe the spring down with one of those REM wipes by simply passing thru the inside and light wipe on the outside. Then lightly wipe that off as well. Don't leave oil residue in there cause it will get all over the shells. You are only making sure there is corrosive protection. Now place a little 30 weight motor oil on a white cleaning pad used for cleaning the barrel and wipe the threads of the mt that will screw into the receiver. It makes it easier to remove later since it handles the heat better than gun oil. Insert the spring in the mt, place the magazine follower (mf - chrome widget that covered the spring that went into the receiver) on the spring and push it all in and hold with your finger stuffed into the mt. Stick your free hand finger thru the receiver thru the hole that the mt screws into and then into the mt to replace the finger you are now using that is holding the spring in the mt. Then screw on the mt. These tubes do not need a wrench to screw them in. Use your weak hand to screw tight with light to medium pressure. Check where the barrel normally sets to ensure you have the mt screwed in all the way.

Last edited by bt380; February 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Greybeard

Please describe more specifically what you encountered with the magazine spring.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Pops1085

sorry, I think I got it, buffer just went sailing like 3 times in the process along with the spring. Unless theres some trick that I don't know about like rolling up paper around to compress the spring uniformly with the cap or something I think it's just a tricky part. Thanks for the responses though
Old February 9, 2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Nanuk

The reason for the left hand reload it to maintain a firing grip on the gun during emergency reloads.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:13 PM   #11
g.willikers

Some folks turn the gun upside down and load with the (strong) gun hand.
It can be as fast.
The weak hand grasps the top of the receiver as the gun rotates, and the stock goes under the armpit.
There's plenty of youtube videos to show how.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N67mxw7WA7Q

Last edited by g.willikers; February 10, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:15 PM   #12
g.willikers

Here's a good one loading with the strong hand, gun upright, not rotated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3E5wtmWCk4
Old February 12, 2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Dwight55

As previously mentioned, . . . practice is the key to performing under stress.

No pun intended, . . . but that fact cannot be stressed enough.

First thing: play around with your setup and see what "works" for you. For example, I use a Beretta semi auto, . . . so I can have a 5 shot sleeve on my fore end, . . . your Mossberg is a trombone so that won't work for you.

Most often in pictures, . . . you'll see a stock sleeve with shells in it, . . . bases pointed up. For me that is wrong, . . . it is ergonomically a whole lot better for me if the bases are pointed down, . . . YMMV.

I do not have a sling on my shotgun when it is in HD mode, . . . but for rabbits afield, . . . it goes back on.

Because it is a slide action, . . . you can take some fired shells, . . . load em up like dummies with plaster of paris or some such stuff, . . . and simply practice loading, shucking, reloading, shucking, etc.

Try different ways of loading, . . . try both hands, . . . different positions, . . . there is no "Perfect" way, . . . just the one that works for you.

I can load my shotgun in the dark, . . . looking out the window, . . . listening for other noises, . . . but only because I have practiced it so that it has become the type of muscle memory like tying shoes, . . . you just do it and don't think about it.

One final point: develop "your" plan. Do it the same way every time. DO NOT try this today, that tomorrow, something els on Friday, . . . you will not function when the time comes that you need to. You will stop to try to reason out what you need to do, . . . an by then it just may be too late. Get a plan together, . . . practice it, . . . learn it, . . . and don't chang it unless you get some REALLY good reason to do it.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 12, 2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Pops1085

Hey man thanks I appreciate the response. I have been watching some instructional vids online about weak hand reloading and am going to try to get good at that. Like I said I was just wondering if the 3 gun stlye reloads were applicable in a self defense situation. I don't think that I would try holding 4 shells in one hand though that's just asking to start dropping them when your hands are probably shaking.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:26 PM   #15
The Great Mahoo

I realize you just got a shotgun, but if you're really concerned, you could look into a shotgun with a detachable magazine. Though, now is certainly not the time to buy one, given the inflated prices, but it could be an option if you don't get comfortable with loading a tube-fed gun.

That said, I recommend just what others have said. Practice, practice, practice.
I like that tube-fed guns can be topped off as you go, but that's just me.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:48 AM   #16
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Hey man thanks I appreciate the response. I have been watching some instructional vids online about weak hand reloading and am going to try to get good at that. Like I said I was just wondering if the 3 gun stlye reloads were applicable in a self defense situation. I don't think that I would try holding 4 shells in one hand though that's just asking to start dropping them when your hands are probably shaking.
I shoot 3-gun and I try to avoid grabbing 4 shells at once out of my caddies. I don't have the biggest hands, and as a result can't retain control of 4 shells during a quick reload.

However, my preferred method of reloading is "dropping deuces", loading two shells at once.

IMO, neither of those are directly applicable in a defensive scenario. No one will grab a competition shell carrier when they pick up their shotgun for defense. The best thing that you can do is get a side saddle on receiver. That way, you can keep a firing grip on the gun, and reload with your weak hand (one shell at a time).
Old February 14, 2013, 01:27 PM   #17
FireForged

I am no expert but I do not reload when empty... I pop a shell in there at any reasonable pause in shooting. I just keep up with how many I have shot and add (1) or (2) as I go so that I do not find myself empty. Thats how I practice anyway.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:08 PM   #18
SIGSHR

And please use snapcaps or dummy rounds when practicing reloading drills.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:45 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

Room brooms; good training sources....

I do not own any room brooms, .
But I may get a Browning BPS 12ga or a left hand 870 12ga pump in 2013/2014.
For shotgun tips & practical tactics, I would get the skill training DVDs or books of Massad Ayoob, John Shaw, Clint Smith, John Farnam, or maybe Louis Aweback(check spelling).
For books/videos, see: www.massadayoobgroup.com www.gunvideo.com www.paladin-press.com www.deltaforce.com www.nra.org .

I would also suggest using the factory made LE brand 12ga loads.

Stay safe & stay legal...
Clyde
Old February 15, 2013, 07:14 PM   #20
Pops1085

Any free videos in that list
Old February 20, 2013, 07:04 PM   #21
ltc444

Find something that works for you and safely practice, practice ..... practice and more practice.

It should become second nature. Do not try for speed just accomplish the reload without dropping the rounds or shotgun. Train your muscles and when a serious social occasion arises you will not screw up.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:02 AM   #22
Hook686

another option used by this disabled old man is to dump the now empty shotgun and draw the handgun. I find this makes for a much quicker reload.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:17 AM   #23
Mobuck

Best advice I can give is "keep your nails trimmed fairly short".
Old February 21, 2013, 08:30 AM   #24
Seaman

Ahoy Pops,

"...if something goes bump in the night ..." [Pops1085]

Once I have shot my 5 or 6, and there are still BGs attacking (very unlikely) I would not bother trying a reload (just too risky in the dark, too many things can go wrong), would just toss the shotgun at the perp(s) and blast away with 45ACP and 44spl S&W (both revolvers, slow bullets, lower risk penetrators) till the attack is stopped.

Best of luck to you, and.... check your 6.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:42 AM   #25
g.willikers

If, by the time the shotgun is empty, they're still coming, it's not a break in, but an invasion.
About all one can hope for then, is not to die alone.
Not every situation is survivable.

Tags
shotgun tips , shtf , tactics