The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 4, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1
F23Blackwidow2

Are bi-pods worth it???

Hello again,
I was wondering. I always liked the tacti-cool aspect of bi-pods, and the fact that they give you a semi-elevated firearm placement, but are they worth it? I planning on going coyote hunting in the Midwest, and I shoot at the range. Are they really worth it, or just a cool looking, sometimes really expensive, peice of tactical bling?
Old February 4, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2
MRL21

For coyote calling some form of rest is one of the best things to have. Especially if using hand calls. Allows you to keep the gun on your shoulder while hands free. That said shooting sticks can be bought or made that get the job done.

I keep a bipod on my calling gun. I like to keep my movement to a minimum and it makes it possible to not have to lift my gun. Also takes the need to sit awkwardly for the 10-30 minute stand holding the gun in the up position.

For about any other shooting I go prone off of a pack. Target range is on a pack on a bench. I try to practice how I shoot in the field as much as possible.

Edit to add. They do have a legitimate purpose other than tacticool, and I don't really see a tacticool need for them. The downside can be the extra weight, but if you can get a good rear rest as well it is about as steady as can be. I shot a bear using a Harris bipod on front and a rock rear. It was as steady a rest as one could ask for.

Last edited by MRL21; February 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3
chris in va

I wouldn't mind having one for my AR if it was quick disconnect. The last thing I want is to load down my lightweight rifle with tactical junk weight.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:24 AM   #4
allaroundhunter

If you are coyote hunting you are usually better served with shooting sticks. Rarely do you lay prone to hunt 'yotes, and the bipods with legs long enough to be used while sitting just aren't worth it, IMO. Shooting sticks are cheaper, and give you easier and more adjustment.

Now, for prone hunting or target shooting? A 6"-9" bipod is great.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:36 AM   #5
Ben Towe

I have one on my .338 and I like it, but it already weighs like a boat anchor, so the bipod doesn't make a lot of difference weight wise.

@chris in va: For ARs they make front rail mount handle that has a bipod that springs out the bottom. Very light and convenient, but pricey.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:19 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

I put one on my .223 Howa heavy barreled varmint rifle. It's the heaviest rifle I have and the weight of the bi-pod isn't at all noticeable. So far I've only shot it at the range but I couldn't imaging a day of varmint hunting with this tank if it didn't have the bi-pod on it...

Tony