The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 15, 2012, 07:15 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

Mik

I can friggin confirm that I am friggin polite to every jerk I deal with.

Ain't that right, Guys?
Old March 15, 2012, 09:29 PM   #27
mykeal

What's it to ya, punk?

Actually, after living in the UK for 5 years I'd say the Brits were almost painfully more polite. Most if not all the store clerks I dealt with seemed to go out of their way to avoid conflict. This was about 10 years ago, and most of my time I was in Scotland. But we did get to every other part of the UK during those 5 years. Were they just trying to be extra nice to a Yank?

However, now that I think about it, that seemed to have changed a bit during my most recent trip back, about 2 years ago. Seemed less polite somehow. Maybe that's because I spent too much time in London.
Old March 16, 2012, 04:09 AM   #28
mikthestick

A bit off topic perhaps.

London is not really representative of the UK. The people seem all wrapped up in their own business. Lived about 40 years in Scotland. Hewlet Packard opened a factory in my village they payed good money. Those who worked there (mother & sister) became very American. Those who didn't work for HP tended to become very anti American. Scotland England Wales and N. Ireland make up the UK, Scotland was finally defeated by FIREARMS in 1746. It may interest you to know that in my village small boys were brought up to hate the English for being English. If a Brit is pleasant to you he probably means it.
Old March 18, 2012, 10:20 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

Black powder is treated differently from smokeless for a reason, not just to annoy muzzle stuffers. As Mike says, it is an explosive, not a flammable solid, and in many areas is illegal to have unless kept in an approved magazine. I just posted a note about bulk BP and I am sure I will be the target of raves and rants, but I get antsy when folks talk about buying 25 pounds in a plastic sack. 25 pounds of BP letting go will thoroughly wreck a house and the insurance company won't pay a penny.

Store BP in small amounts, in its original containers, and keep them separated by wood boards, since BP (unlike smokeless) WILL "sympathy" detonate.

Jim