The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2006, 02:09 PM   #1
drvector

RCBS vibratory case cleaner

Greetings all,

I'm just getting starting in re-loading - picked up a RCBS rockchucker supreme reloading kit and RCBS vibratory case cleaner. Have any of you used the RCBS vibratory case cleaner? I tried it out a couple of days ago with about 200 38 cases and the crushed walnut media. The thing is as noisy as all-hell! A friend of mine picked up a tumbler by franklin (I think that was the name) and only spent about $40 and his was very quiet. Anyone out there have any experience with these? Thanks and happy New Year

Last edited by drvector; January 2, 2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old January 1, 2006, 03:59 PM   #2
gary2905

Have used the Frankford Arsenal tumbler for over 2 years now and am very satisfied. It does just what it is supposed to do- cleans cases par excellance.
I think I paid around 45 bucks for it from Midway. Cannot go wrong for the price.
Old January 1, 2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Tim R

Did you tighten down the lid enough? Might sound silly but my Dillon makes a lot of racket until I get the lid screwed down tight.
Old January 1, 2006, 05:06 PM   #4
smedley

More media may help too.
I don't like the noise or the dust so I tumble in the garage.

Smedley
Old January 1, 2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Hairtrigger

I had a Midway tumbler for more than 10 years. When the motor gave out (it was under water once, very noisey after that) I called Midway looking to purchase a replacement motor.
They GAVE me a new tumbler after I sent my old one to them.
I now have been sending more orders their way
Old January 1, 2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Bob - S.C.

One thing I would suggest that might cause that problem. Remove the bowl from the tumbler and check to insure that the threaded rods that hold the motor to the tumbler base are tight. They usually have four small nuts with lock washers. If they are not, that might be your problem. As previously mentioned, a loose lid can also cause a whole lot of racket.
Old January 2, 2006, 05:35 AM   #7
gary2905

Just an aside to the noise question and lid on the tumblers, Midway sells a neat little washer and "quick release"nut for the vibrating tumblers that is slick.
No more turning that godawful thumbscrew to tighten down the lid- it is faster, easier on the fingers and snugs down the lid nice and tight.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:00 AM   #8
steve4102

I have both RCBS and Midway Tumblers. The noise is about the same for each. Make sure you have enough media and all screws and wing-nuts are tight. IMHO the RCBS is a much better tumbler. It is much faster and better built the my Midway. RCBS also has a lifetime warranty.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:00 AM   #9
RERICK

tumbler

Love the Frankford.Its fairly quiet and no problems with it at all.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:27 AM   #10
ulflyer

My midway is noisy as heck and i think thats par for the course. I don't bother to put the lid on...doesn't help the noise factor much.
Old January 5, 2006, 08:36 PM   #11
ditty22

Iv been using mine for the last month and its the ****!
Old January 7, 2006, 05:03 AM   #12
drdirk

noise

I have the RCBS and don't mind the noise. Reminds me that it is still going. I leave it in the basement and it runs all day. At night, when the house gets quiet, I hear it and it reminds me to go down and shot the thing off
Old January 7, 2006, 08:28 AM   #13
Foxman

RCBS make 2 one like the Midway/frankford and a hexagonal one the runs on wheels on a base, that one is noisy whatever you do, the vibratory one is the same really as the other two. Midway/frankford is same machine different colored drum, I hae two and they are fine, the Midway is ten yrs old still going, the frankford 2 yrs and fine. I fill 2 thrds full with corn cob and add a half packet of the RCBS polish powder, ( which works better than anything else ive tried and doesnt harm the brass) the other has walnut in and a little polish powder for final finishing. I just dont pile cases in until there is no room left, but put reasonable number in like 100-150 rifle cases and leave it for a couple of hours , then move them over to the walnut media for the same time, they come out like shiny gold. Hornady and Lyman make bigger ones if you want to polish a lot of handgun cases at once.
I dont leave the lid off because you quickly lose the polish out of them as dust and it cannot be good for the lungs either. You can see the difference, if you put cases in and it doesnt rotate media and cases , just trickle in a bit more polish powder and it immediately starts to rotate everything round properly, when it starts to not polish so quick do the same again. that way a packet lasts for ages. the liquid stuff just makes a mess and doesnt work as well in my experience, plus my cases arfe dry and a dustoff with a little compressed air or a vacuum and they are ready to load. All the car restorer compounds contain ammonia which weakens the brass and shouldn't be used on cases anytime. IMHO
Old January 15, 2006, 12:46 AM   #14
22bore

You should place the lid on the tumbler to contain any dust, not to reduce noise!

Use pleanty of media is my suggestion to reduce noise.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:39 PM   #15
Plated

I have found that the combination of not enough media and too much brass has the biggest effect on the noise lvl for me.

more media and a little less brass = less noise.....

Check the instruction manual that came with it(if you still have it)It gives guide lines as to how much of what caliber brass can be added for best effect.

Question here as well, my manual says to not clean the brass for more than about 2 hours....What is everyone else doing? I usually clean a little longer than this to get the desired results.