The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 1999, 01:18 PM   #1
muddyboots

I'm in the process of loading my first 44 mags. I've got on order some: 240gr jhp, 240gr lswc, and 210jhp. The best powder that I've got on hand it looks like is win 231.
What a good clean load (it looks like HS7 may be a good choice) . I'll be shooting in a 6.5" barrel S&W.
Old March 17, 1999, 09:09 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Muddyboots: If you're loading "plinkers", the 231 works nicely at around six grains.

Eons ago, for hunting loads, I used a bunch of 2400. Disremember how much, but any book gives you starting points. Dirty, but the burn-rate was great. In today's world, there is a lot of cleaner-burning stuff; I've used 4227...

I happen to like the format of the Sierra loading book, plus the ballistic tables are handy in comparing different rifle bullets. Lots of data at sites on the Net, but I prefer having the ready-made hard copy; old-fashioned, that way.

While I enjoy (?) shooting a .454 Casull, I see no point in beating myself to death. I shoot a lot more plinkers than hot stuff, and get the old muscle-memory trained. Then, you automatically "do it right" when you turn loose a Thumper...

FWIW; hope it helps...Art
Old March 18, 1999, 09:15 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

If you're feeling frisky get some Universal Clays. It works great with lead bullets in the 44-clean, clean, clean...........
Old March 19, 1999, 08:04 AM   #4
muddyboots

I have clays (works good in 40 S&W) but don't have any load info for 44 mag. Do you have specs for these?
Old March 19, 1999, 09:42 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

There are three "Clays" powders; International Clays, Universal Clays, and Clays. They are NOT interchangeable.
Old March 20, 1999, 02:48 AM   #6
Walt Welch

Here is the way to obtain the best loading data. First, go to Shooter's Gunlinks:

http://www.shooters.com/gunlinks/index.htm

Then, look up the powder company in which you have interest. Most of these are found in the 'Product Manufacturers, non-Firearm' section. Hodgdon makes Clays powder, so look them up:

http://www.hodgdon.com/ is the website you will find. Look for reloading info, and you will be at a site where you can pick out data, then pistol data. Select .44Mag, and you are at:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/44magpistol.htm#top

This website gives you data for Universal (Universal Clays), HS-6, HS-7, and H-110, among others, for various bullet types and weights.

Suppose you want to look up data for W-231, or other Winchester powders. Go to the same site, Product Manufacturers, non-firearm (another company makes Winchester rifles now), and click on Winchester, you will be at:

http://www.winchester.com/ look for reloading data, and you will end up here:

http://www.winchester.com/reloader/index.html

You will find there a 1.3 Meg downloadable file, which you can read on site if you prefer, and it has loads for W296 and W231, in the .44 Mag. on p. 48. I will warn you that the W231 loads are very hot, and would suggest you consult some other data sources following the same methods as above for reduced loads. Be advised that reducing W296 charges is not recommended. This is a powder very similar to H-110 (not coincidentally also manufactured by Olin, who makes W296); reduced loads with H-110 are strictly limited to a 3% reduction maximum.

Obtaining data in this fashion is the safest way to do it. You are sure you are getting the latest data from the manufacturer. Use printed reloading manuals for confirmation of the load (that is, make sure the load you got from the mfr.'s site is close to what is in the manuals. If the manual says to use more powder than the mfr. does, DO NOT do so. Take the powder manufacturer's data as maximimum).

I have used both H-110 and W231 in the .44 Mag with good results. Use magnum primers with H-110, and crimp heavily to avoid bullet creep. I use regular primers with mild loads of W231, and do not crimp so heavily. Good luck, and happy reloading. Walt
Old March 22, 1999, 02:01 PM   #7
muddyboots

Walt
Thanks for all the info. You have once again provided a plethora of information.