The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 8, 2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Polinese

Mount for Enfield No. 4

Buddy has a long branch enfield that has been severly bubba'd. Would require a whole new barrel and stock to try and get it back to military configuration, so...

Planning on putting a boyds stock on it and having the barrel re crowned. Looking for a scope mount. Does not matter if it's clamp on or drill and tap just looking for what's going to work best. I've seen the s&k, the b square, and the ati but find very conflicting reports on all of them.
Old May 9, 2015, 09:31 AM   #2
wogpotter

These all use the original rear sight base & charger guides to mount, so they won't fit if the "severe bubba'ing" extends to modifying those parts.

I've tried the B-Square. I suggest you don't as its bendy alloy & very weak (bendable by hand) at the cuts for the scope ring cross bolts. The fit was also problematic.

I like the original "Fultons of Bisley" one personally, but its big, heavy & expensive. Here's mine on my No4 Mk2.

If you want a good clone of it then I suggest the S&K as it uses a clamp for the front end, not the grub screws of its competition. Here's mine on my No5 ("Jungle Carbine") in the S&K ring configuration which is lower than the Weaver ring style.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 9, 2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Polinese

Thanks! I looked at both of those, have you had any problems with the s&k?
Old May 9, 2015, 03:45 PM   #4
wogpotter

Only having the wedge block turned 90 degrees when installing it first. It didn't want to fit until I worked out the right alignment. The rail is a little short for some scope designs, so check the scope & rail as a unit when picking your setup. The Fultons (of which its a copy) is a good bit longer if you look at them side by side.

Once fitted its been 100% reliable & held zero perfectly.

Old May 9, 2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Polinese

Gotcha, thanks for the insight, doesn't look like the fulton one is still available at least I couldn't find it on their site.
Old May 10, 2015, 08:10 AM   #6
wogpotter

They updated the website since I visited last. Try giving them a phone call. Once you get used to the accent they are very helpful.

Old May 11, 2015, 01:37 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

None of the 'no gunsmithing' mounts work well. ATI's I think it is, at least uses more than 2 screws.
Old May 11, 2015, 08:34 PM   #8
Polinese

I don't mind having to drill and tap but saw even fewer of those mounts... and by fewer i didn't see any other than repro sniper mounts
Old May 12, 2015, 08:05 AM   #9
wogpotter

Quote:
None of the 'no gunsmithing' mounts work well.
That is the exact opposite of every experience I've had with the two I suggested. As noted though the B-Square is flimsy & useless & the ones that use pointed grub screws to gouge into the charger bridge are iffy. I don't know how the ATI secures at the front end.

My Fultons ND/NT has held zero for over 5 years at this point.
The S&K for almost 2,but I bought that later, based on how well the Fultons did.

What problems have you had with them & what brands were they?

Old May 12, 2015, 09:39 AM   #10
CowTowner

Quote:
I don't mind having to drill and tap but saw even fewer of those mounts... and by fewer i didn't see any other than repro sniper mounts
How's this?
http://specialinterestarms.com/index...ld_accessories
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 12, 2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Polinese

Oooo that's promising. Hadn't come across that one before. Was mostly old side mount style stuff.