The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 9, 2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Micro man

Military surplus

I have been interested in older military surplus rifles for some time now and was hoping to be able to find one in good shape at a good price. I especially like bolt guns like K31, Swedish Mauser, and Kar 98. I read forum comments about snagging rifles like these in the $250-300 range , but when I check the internet I have no luck finding them.
I was hoping that if the members of the forum had any information where I could look they could enlighten me.
Thanks for your time.
Micro man
Old May 9, 2015, 04:28 PM   #2
jsust

aimsurplus
Old May 9, 2015, 06:28 PM   #3
tahoe2

jgsales.com, samcoglobal.com, simpsonltd.com, gunsamerica.com, gunsinternational.com, gunbroker.com; that should give you some online shopping to do, pawn & loan shops can also be a great source for sleeper's, if you know what to look for; the deals are out there, it requires diligence and patience to find the right deal. Keep looking, you'll find it !
Old May 9, 2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Here's a little list of possibilities.
http://milsurpshooter.net/topic/1187/CampR-Links
From a great forum dedicated to just what you are interested in.
http://milsurpshooter.net/

Depending on if you live in a free state, or one of the Peoples Republics on the coasts you might want get a C&R FFL. Easy to get, minimal record keeping, and $30 for 3 years. Less than the FFL transfer fee most dealers would charge for one transaction. You can buy surplus military guns from the supplier, and have them shipped directly to you.
Like I said though, it could depend on oppressive state laws.
http://www.garandgear.com/cnr_ffl_03
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 9, 2015, 10:57 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Milsurps originally appear at very low prices because one way a nation gets some money when needed is to dump its obsolete weaponry on the market. That gets money and saves the costs of storage.

But even those large quantities are eventually exhausted, and when that happens, the guns become of interest to collectors and the prices go up. Anyone interested in the guns mentioned by the OP should buy now, at the best prices, since those prices will go up. (I bought my first K.98k for $17, my first Swedish 94 carbine for $29, my first K31 Swiss for $35, so I know prices go up even aside from inflation.)

Jim
Old May 10, 2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Anyone interested in the guns mentioned by the OP should buy now, at the best prices, since those prices will go up. (I bought my first K.98k for $17, my first Swedish 94 carbine for $29, my first K31 Swiss for $35, so I know prices go up even aside from inflation.)
Yup! My first center fire, first "deer" rifle, first milsurp. SMLE No5 "Jungle Carbine". New, in cosmoline----$35. Traded for a Hakim years ago. One of the regrets that lead to my signature line!
After the No.5 I "upgraded". A Mauser 98k in similar, beautiful condition. Another $35 rifle. But of course in the 60's you couldn't use an old military rifle. So, even though it was very well done, it got the "treatment" (abuse) of being sporterized. Bolt handle bent for scope, safety and trigger changed, drilled and tapped for a scope, petty blueing, walnut stock. A couple hundred dollars later I had a fine "sporter". Eventually involved in a trade for my Remington 700 7MM Magnum. Where ever it is it's probably worth a couple hundred today. Had I left it alone, it would be worth a couple thousand!
Old May 11, 2015, 08:06 AM   #7
MFitz

I bought my first milsurp (a gorgeous Savage Lee Enfield No.4 Mk I that shoots amazingly) in 2006 for $89. Haven't seen one like that for less than $400 for a while.

There was a long gap to my next milsurp rifle but I started collecting in earnest just under two years ago. Have now added the following:

Mosin Nagant M91/30
Lee Enfield Mk I (1906, sporterized)
Lee Enfield Mk III (Australian)
Yugoslav M48 Mauser
Carcano Model 1938 in 7.35mm
K31
Mosin Nagant M1944
MAS 36
Swedish Mauser m/1896

All of the above picked up mostly at gun shows but a few at gun stores in the $130-350 price range.

I also have:
FN SAFN 49 8mm (Egyptian Contract)
MAS 49/56
Iver Johnson M1 Carbine (post war reproduction)

Those were spendier in the $500-800 range. All were found in gun stores.

I am lucky in that several gun stores in my general area tend to cater to old milsurp lovers like myself. But almost half my stash came from gun shows and that is where I would suggest you start looking.
Old May 12, 2015, 09:30 AM   #8
jaysouth

When I see something that is on my list, I buy at the asking price. You will kick yourself for a year or so for doing this, but 10 years from now the price will seem like peanuts.

I often wonder what happened to the millions and millions of weapons imported here from world wide battlefields. They disappear for the most part into attics and basements.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:15 AM   #9
Micro man

Thanks for all the useful information! I see that many of the places recommended are online,I have never purchased a firearm without holding it and checking it over how has that worked out for members?
I guess that I worry about investing a fair amount of money and not being sure what I get in return. Any pointers on what to look for when purchasing online?
Old May 12, 2015, 10:27 AM   #10
madmo44mag

I have had a C&R for years and collect WW2 battle rifles.
Most of the real nice guns are now in privet hands but you can find a gem every now and then on the open market.
A great site for info on these old milsurp is http://www.gunboards.com
They cover just about anything milsurp and have great knowledge.
They can also help you find what you are looking for.
They have a buy/sale forum that members trade on and some nice guns come up for sale.
Good luck.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:38 PM   #11
seanc

If this is your 1st time buying online, you'll need to find a local FFL to handle the transfer. The transfer fee for my FFL is $28. You can find a list of FFL's in your area by looking them up on Gunbroker.com (there are other sites, but Go-Broker makes it easy to look them up). When you pay for the rifle, you'll then have to contact your FFL and have them send their paperwork to whomever you bought from online.

As far as inspecting the firearm before online purchase: you take a gamble. When I bought Mosin Nagants or SKS rifles, I bought in person, since the quality of said rifles can vary GREATLY. As a general rule, K31's are in pretty good shape mechanically, though their stocks are famous for being in rough shape.

Since this is your 1st time buying online, I'm guessing the next question you're going to ask is: Where can I find ammo for a K31?

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/75swiss/
Old May 12, 2015, 09:53 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

I realize that this is the information age, but there are still things around that you will not find online.

If you live somewhere it is legal, check the want ad papers. Giant Nickel, Thrifty Nickel, Penny press, what ever they call it in your area.

A lot of these guns are "coming out of the closet" these days, as their owners retire or pass away. Often the sellers ask well below current market rates.

A while back, I got an SMLE (No4?) the WWII one, and a Moisin M38 carbine, both look brand new. Private seller, in the Giant Nickel. $150 for both of them.

Another place to keep an eye on is, surprisingly, yard sales. Not common but it does happen. Friend of mine found a couple guns at a yard sale. A semi .22 for $100, and an "old army gun" for $40, which he bought. The old army gun was a VG condition 1903 Springfield. And no, he wouldn't sell it to me!

SO look in local places, or around your state, you'll likely find a lot of things you won't find online. Offer not valid where prohibited by law.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:05 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If this is your 1st time buying online, you'll need to find a local FFL to handle the transfer. The transfer fee for my FFL is $28
Ah, or read post #4 so you can order all of them you want, and have them sent directly to your house without the FFL transfer fee each time.
Old May 13, 2015, 02:00 PM   #14
DennisCA

Micro man - to wet your appetite:

From Left to Right:
1942 Mosin 91-30
1941 Finn M39
1924 Swiss K11
Yugo 24/47
1943 Enfield MK 4 No 1
1953 Polish M44
1934 Steyr M95 (A.K.A. - The A** Kicker)

I also have this:

(which is in the process of being restored to milspec)

Last edited by DennisCA; May 13, 2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old May 13, 2015, 02:29 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
1934 Steyr M95 (A.K.A. - The A** Kicker)
You got that right! I am usually never bothered by recoil.
Even my friend's 458 Lott, and 450 Nitro Express are more pleasant to shoot than my Steyr 95 with the old Nazi marked milsurp ammo!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; May 13, 2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old May 13, 2015, 05:55 PM   #16
Micro man

DennisCA-that is a -VERY impressive collection! I am off work this week end so I better make a plan to scope out the LGS and other sources.
Old May 15, 2015, 05:46 PM   #17
cheygriz

The Russian model 44 carbine is a a great start, and ammo is still cheap.

The SKS is another great gun. Get a Russian, or a Chinese if you can find one.

I love my Enfields, No.1,Mk lll (Australian) and No.4 Mk 1*(Canadian) but prices are high nowadays and cheap surplus ammo is gone.

During the 50s and 60s, millions of these great old warhorses were senselessly "butchered" by wannabe gunsmiths to make so-called "Sporters:" mad: