The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 18, 2001, 09:59 PM   #1
pepemarine

IS ANYONE PREPARING TO SHOOT COMPETITION COLOMBAIRE?
ANY TIPS? I´VE SHOT A FEW TOURNAMENTS BUT APRECIATTE ANY HELP.

COLOMBAIRE = MAN THROWN PIGEON AND THE KILL MUST FALL INSIDE A 100 YARD PERIMETER FENCE OF 1 FOOT HIGH.
Old February 19, 2001, 04:30 PM   #2
SDC

You might have better luck posting this question in the shotgun forum; it sounds like you're asking about live pigeon shooting, a shotgunner's game. As far as I know, this is seen mainly in Europe, but there might be a few places in North America where it happens. (At the local trap club here a few years ago, a van full of PETA types rolled up to protest those evil shotgunners shooting at "birds", but when all they saw were these orange and black discs getting shot, they tucked their collective tails between their legs and piled back in the van.)
Old February 20, 2001, 10:17 AM   #3
TaxPhd

pepemarine,

At one time, there was a fair amount of live bird shooting in the U.S., mostly along the Mexican border. It seems to have died out up here. There are a few shoots, but they aren't really advertised, and pretty hush hush due to the P.C. climate here.

In your profile, you say that you are from Old Mexico. What part? There used to be a pigeon ring in Tecate but I don't know if it is still operating.

Seems like Colombaire has kind of died out. I only hear about box pigeon shoots now. Bob Brister's book, Shotgunning, The Art and the Science, has a decent section on pigeon shooting.

Best advice, find a ring near you, even if it is box pigeons, and shoot as much as you can.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old February 20, 2001, 08:30 PM   #4
blooch

i have a real good friend who used to participate in live pigeon shooting a lot, his advice on colobaire shooting is not to do it, throwers are to easily bought off. he recommends staying with box birds, the play is much fairer. he and his son are two of the best box bird shots in the world, at least according to what i can find out.

my wife used to referee, score , and chase cripples when she was in high school, at a very large gun club here in texas which still hosts both kinds of shoots, shooters come from all over the world; it's not dead, it's underground.

mr. p. thinks zz birds are good practice , as are skeet and trap. some people say skeet is of no benefit, but in box birds a real smooth swing helps a whole lot, it doesn't hurt in any game.

his credentials are hard to give here without getting some animal rights activist on his case, but i'll give you a hint, in box birds you are handicapped by how much money you've won, mr. p. has the longest established handicap ever given, with 0 chance of moving forward, and no company even near joining him.