The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2001, 06:36 PM   #1
Therapydude

Beretta A390ST or Benelli Super Black Eagle?

I can get a new Benelli Super Black Eagle for $1039 or I can save half of that money and buy a new Beretta A390ST at Wal-mart. The Beretta has 3 interchangeable choke tubes, will handle up to 3" shells and has a 28" barrel. The Super Black Eagle, at twice the price, can handle 3 1/2" magnum shells. I'm going to use the shotgun primarily for casual trap/skeet shooting (plinking, nothing formal). But I'd like to have versatility in case I want to go duck or deer hunting with it. Anyway, both brands have fine reputations for their shotguns; both shotguns "feel" good when I shoulder them. I've always wanted a Benelli because of its mechanical simplicity, but is that worth a price double the Beretta? Thanks for any help you all can provide.
Old July 7, 2001, 08:11 PM   #2
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
To answer your question I'd say get the A390. They're both fine shotguns but played off one another it's an apples to oranges comparison. It would be more fair to compare the Beretta to a Benelli M1 Field or Montefeltro which are still more expensive... around $775 NIB and aren't sold at Walmart.

Given that choice for an all-around shotgun I'd opt for a 12ga Montefeltro with a 24" barrel. It's 1/2 lb lighter than the Beretta, so it has a little more perceived recoil, but carriability is very important to me. I like Benellis in general and IMO the Montefeltro is the cream of the crop.

I wouldn't spend the money on a 3 1/2" gun unless you had a specific reason - such as late season goose hunting -- and even then the benefit is debatable. For plinking, trap shooting, and 99.7% of conceivable hunting scenarios 3 1/2" shells won't do anything for ya. -- Kernel
Old July 7, 2001, 11:04 PM   #3
MiniZ

For your intended purpose, I suggest the A390. Your specified use doesn't justify the price of the Benelli. HOWEVER, if you have the $$$, then go ahead and get the Benelli. You will have a shotgun that will cover every base for you.

Zane
Old July 8, 2001, 03:23 PM   #4
STEVE M

Don't make your decision based on the 3-1/2" chamber. shoot some 3" heavy loads and you won't ever see a need for 3-1/2".
Both are great shotguns. Buy the Benelli for the bragging rights, or buy the Baretta and spend the extra money on lots of practice shells. You won't go wrong with either.