The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 22, 2011, 03:58 PM   #51
spacemanspiff

Yeah, lifting is definitely a good idea. However, the problem is that few weights or devices accurately mimic the grips of a pistol. So I had my smith spotweld arms on the sides of the frame of my gun and I put 1 to ten lb weights on each side while at the gym.
I do make sure its not loaded though, but for some reason everyone runs out of the weight room when I unholster, maybe I need to use more Axe bodyspray?
Old July 22, 2011, 04:13 PM   #52
Glenn E. Meyer

Coming in late, I just do a general lifting routine and don't have problems with my guns? What am I missing?

I've lightened up a bit with age and some specific health issues but hand strength doesn't seem to be troubling.
Old July 22, 2011, 04:32 PM   #53
Clifford L. Hughes

Huskeruy:

When I was shooting on several Marine Corps' pistol teams I din't lift weights but I did do push ups. However, my main exercise was shooting a 44 Magnum pistol. I loaded Magnum ammo by the hundreds at a setting. I was station at 29-Palms so I had the whole desert to shoot in. I would walk the desert and pick out rocks up to 100 yards or so away and see how many shots it took me to hit it. I shot about 200 hundred rounds at an outing. My right arm soon became brick hard.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old July 23, 2011, 04:54 PM   #54
Huskerguy

Interesting replies. I started lifting free weights about 10 years ago although I have always kept in really good shape which was much easier in my younger years.

I don't do specific exercises for shooting aside from general arm, wrist and hand strength which I think will naturally occur with most basic lifting. I also work pretty hard on my core but it is still a long ways from a six pack and I won't be doing any commercials for PX90. My wife walks by and says "not bad for a 57 year old man."

I, like many who have replied, lift mostly to maintain some conditioning as I age gracefully which is not easy.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:24 AM   #55
KevininPa

I workout,.....

......have been since I was 15 or so. Started then to get big. Now at 50 it's to stay toned and smaller. Have a Bowflex in the living room. If I had a gym membership I wouldn't go. But with that thing taking up space and screaming at me that I paid money for it, it gets used. Hate wasting my hard earned cash!
That aside, I don't work out specifically to shoot but have found that it helps. My shoulders don't bruise as bad as my friends who don't exercise when shooting rifles and shotguns. I handle recoil very easily compared to some I shoot with. Working construction probably helps with this. Though there hasn't been a whole lot of that lately. (Sigh) No new toys for awhile yet.
Old August 8, 2011, 10:52 AM   #56
C0untZer0

It doesn't take long...

I mentioned before that I wasn't happy with my follow-through on my G34 and tailored my workouts to focus on improving my grip, forearm, wrist and hand strength.

It doesn't take long... I noticed on Friday that some of my exercises were getting easier so I increased the weight on those, I also moved up one notch on the Captains Crush grippers.
Old August 8, 2011, 11:47 AM   #57
Dino.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how lifting weights would be beneficial.
Unless you're toting a .50 cal

Practice trumps weight lifting IMO.
Old August 8, 2011, 12:02 PM   #58
Scorch

Overall physical conditioning will indeed help in shooting, particularly in steadiness, control, and endurance. I lift 2-3 times a week, with conditioning thrown in. I am 54, and I can still hunt almost as hard as when I was 40, but nowhere near as hard as when I was 30. But my buddies that are in their 40s wonder why I am stronger than them and can shoot and hunt longer.
Old August 8, 2011, 12:09 PM   #59
ltc444

I have used many excercises including weight lifting to improve my shooting. The thing which was most effective was shootin a bow. I set up a range in my back yard. I shot 30 to 40 arrows from a 55 lb draw bow.

After 6 months without shooting a pistol, my scores improved by 20%.