The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 22, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
advantage1one

Laser grips for 686P

Anybody use Crimson Trace laser grips on the 686P or any other K/L frame? Just wondering how they hold up and are they worth the investment for eyes getting a little older...let me know if you have any experience with laser grips and larger frame S&W revolvers. Thanks
Old June 23, 2009, 07:09 AM   #2
indiandave

I have a pair on a 10-6. very accurate shooter.
Old June 23, 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
jaydubya

Posted elsewhere in response to this same query -- by the same fellow. Placed here for info.

I have had a set on my 686 plus for as long as I've owned it -- more than two years. I had problems installing it which, as hard as they tried, Crimson Trace customer service could not help me. Then I experimented. My 686+ came with a very good set of square-butt grips, which were held in place by a screw in the butt that connected to a stirrup pinned to the frame of the butt. On a hunch, I removed the stirrup, and the Crimson Trace grips snapped into place very nicely. I passed this on to Crimson Trace customer service, so they now are aware of that problem.

As grips only, the CTs are excellent, at least as good as the ones they replaced. As sighting devices, CT laser grips are superb. I have them on all my handguns that CT makes them for, and would not buy a handgun that CT did not make laser grips for. You speak of eyes getting older. Mine are seventy-eight years old. Without my glasses, I cannot even SEE the iron sights, much less use them. But I can see that red dot. I shoot my 686+ at an indoor range weekly, always double action, always 5-10 yards (HD/SD is what I practice for) I just love to put a black hole where that red dot was.

I have had no problems with the ones on that handgun, as well as the ones on my 637 Airweight. I did have problems with the ones on my T-series Browning High Power, which began to exhaust batteries in one or two range sessions. This happened after the two-year warranty had expired. I contacted Crimson Trace. Even though the warranty had lapsed, they sent me another set and asked me to return the originals to them, at their expense, so they could analyze them. Crimson Trace customer service is simply excellent.

I am happy to recommend Crimson Trace laser grips to anyone -- even those who think they are useless toys. If they are that good with iron sights in a darkened room, more power to them. But for me, iron sights are useless in the very situation that I train for.

Cordially, Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------