The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 18, 2013, 09:02 AM   #126
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I want an actual walther made PPK in 9mm mak. And I think I would like a LCR in 327 mag.
That has been one of my dream guns as well. But I have been told, and rightly so, that the SAAMI pressure standard for the 327 Federal Magnum is much higher than even the 357 Magbum making a 327 LCR highly unlikely. The 327 being 45,000 psi VS 35,000 for the 357.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 18, 2013, 12:31 PM   #127
fallingrock71

Maybe I'm a weirdo(ok, I AM a weirdo) but...

I'd like to see some ccw semi-auto pistols with longer barrels. Like my SR9C lower with an SR9 upper. Then offer that pistol in 10mm and .45acp. Heck, just a SR10c and a SR45c would be a nice start. Anyone else think a short grip/long barrel make sense for cc?

I'd also like to see some double action revolvers in 45lc. GP, SP, LCR in 45lc? I was hoping that the popularity of Judges and Governors would bring about double action 45lc pistols for people that don't want the .410 aspect.

Sorry to sound like a Ruger fanboy. I'm really not. I'm just more familiar with them.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:52 PM   #128
pelo801

Quote:
making a 327 LCR highly unlikely. The 327 being 45,000 psi VS 35,000 for the 357.
A guy can dream though.
Old August 18, 2013, 02:34 PM   #129
Brutus

I know this is the handgun forum but I would love to get a semi-auto 10mm carbine with a 16 or 18" barrel and a 20 round magazine.
Old August 18, 2013, 02:45 PM   #130
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I was hoping that the popularity of Judges and Governors would bring about double action 45lc pistols for people that don't want the .410 aspect.
Are you listening Taurus? Shorten the frame and cylinder on the PD and PD Poly and voilà, the Juror . A 45 Colt somewhat compact and light, especially in poly, D/A carry revolver.

BTW, even with the extra length of the cylinder my PD Poly is quite accurate with 45 Colt loads.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 18, 2013, 03:10 PM   #131
barnbwt

"I thought about starting a new thread but remembered this old one. I like my idea so much I just had to share it and raise this thread from the dead.

I always ragged on the broomhandled mausers as ugly but I think I would like to see a reproduction in .22lr by say GSG. I would definately buy one."

1) I can't believe you remembered a 6 year old thread
and
2) +1 on the plinker broomhandle

My entry to the list would be a new anything doublestack pistol in 7.62x25. Cheap import ammo is gone, so manufacturers have no competition to worry about undercutting their operations, and the small/fast projectile is perfect for both armor/barrier penetration as well as rapid bullet expansion in a man-sized animal. With a quality hollowpoint, it would functionally bridge the gap between 9mm and 357mag, but penetrate less (with expanding ammo) and feed from any autoloader design with a stretched magwell.

TCB
Old August 18, 2013, 04:11 PM   #132
CCCLVII

A break action revolver in 357 magnum.
Old August 18, 2013, 04:27 PM   #133
jhenry

I want something along the lines of a CZ75 in 7.62x25.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:55 AM   #134
BillCA

Some comments and thoughts on recent posts.

CCCLVII, Ferretboy, et al - Breaktop revolvers. Keep in mind that break top revolvers have inherent weaknesses in the design. The latch mechanisms are generally not robust enough to stay locked under magnum recoil. Plus there will be a lot of wear and pounding on the front hinge of the frame. At least until someone comes up with much better designs.

barnbwt - Broomhandle (1896) Mauser pistol in .22LR. IIRC, one of the earlier Charter Arms incarnations produced a "Mauser-like" pistol with the magazine in front of the trigger. Even in .22LR, it didn't sell well and they dropped it. However, if we went full-goose Gonzo and built that Mauser pistol in .45 ACP and 10mm with detachable box magazines... And since the length of the cartridge won't affect the grip, we could offer it in .45 ACP and .30 Carbine to start with, since the .30 Carbine makes a dandy pistol cartridge. (Obviously modify and simplify the action to reduce costs too.)

Cheapshooter, et al - Small, compact .45 caliber revolver. Taurus did make their "Big Bore Snubbies" for a while, including 5 shot .41/.44/.45. The models were designated as 415 (.41 Mag), and 445 or similar for the others. Ask Taurus how well they (didn't) sell. Seems there are some of us who like the idea, but aren't willing to buy. S&W's 696, a .44 Special 5-shot L-frame, sold poorly (and wasn't well marketed, IMHO) but now demands a premium. If we want these guns, we have to drum up the interest and specify the format. These would be carry guns and I see them with a 2.5-3 inch heavy barrel, low profile fixed sights, a smooth combat trigger, round butt grip, unshrouded ejector rod and made in a matte stainless steel finish.

Creek Henry - For cowboy shooting, why not a small break-top six-shooter in .32 H&R Magnum (also shoots .32 Long)? The .327 Magnum would be too much for a break top action I think.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:47 PM   #135
Bart Noir

Quote:
a compact 9mm revolver that takes advantage of the shorter case length of the 9mm to make the cylinder shorter
I believe that Taurus used to make such a gun. About 6 or 7 years back I had the chance to buy one used. Had the chance but not the change

I'm pretty sure it had a short cylinder, compared to .38 Special guns. I can't remember if it was a 5 or a 6-shooter.

Bart Noir
Old August 19, 2013, 04:51 PM   #136
Ferretboy

[
Quote:
CCCLVII, Ferretboy, et al - Breaktop revolvers. Keep in mind that break top revolvers have inherent weaknesses in the design. The latch mechanisms are generally not robust enough to stay locked under magnum recoil. Plus there will be a lot of wear and pounding on the front hinge of the frame. At least until someone comes up with much better designs."
The Russians did it, why cant we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP412_REX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 357rex.jpg (29.1 KB, 10 views)
Old August 19, 2013, 11:39 PM   #137
BillCA

Ferretboy,

In 2009 I had a long discussion with an entrepreneur who wanted to bring back the Merwin-Hubert revolvers. During that discussion we talked about top breaks. He'd done his market research for the M-W revolvers and found considerable interest in the cowboy shooters and historical buffs. Since break tops like the Schofield are competitors, he researched them too.

When it came to break-tops, he found some folks were interested but not many would be the first to pony up money for a .357 break top. Lower powered cartridges from .32 to .38 Colt and .38 Special sure. Even .44-40 or .44 Special would have gotten interest. Among defensive users and hunters there was even less interest. He said the market isn't there for a top break .357 revolver.

He also pointed out there were some "challenges" to making a break top reliable and durable with the higher pressure cartridges. Maybe the Russians found a way to make the hinge & latch durable but he didn't think the design effort would break even from sales.
Old August 20, 2013, 12:17 AM   #138
Ferretboy

I am far from an expert, but, I enjoy the learning. I wonder if the answer is in the 6 o'clock position might be the answer on the pressure issues with the hinge and latch. A top break Rhino type revolver. If nothing else the speculation is fun. I would buy one if they were developed and made availablle. A guy can always dream.
Old August 20, 2013, 07:49 PM   #139
egor20

BillCA

Quote:
Broomhandle (1896) Mauser pistol in .22LR. IIRC, one of the earlier Charter Arms incarnations produced a "Mauser-like" pistol with the magazine in front of the trigger. Even in .22LR, it didn't sell well and they dropped it
Yes it was the AR-7 Explorer II pistol.

And your correct, it didn't sell very well.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old August 21, 2013, 04:28 AM   #140
BillCA

Ferretboy - I understand all too well. I think it would be pretty awesome if someone could modernize and develop a .45 ACP version of the old Webley .455 pistols. The short cylinder helps keep the overall length down and a 2-3" barrel like the old "bulldog" revolvers would make a dandy carry gun. Such a gun, made to fire five .45 ACP +P using 185 to 200 gr JHP would be just the ticket when equipped with automatic ejection and tweaked to use (half)moon clips as well as single cartridges. I could foresee that chambered in 9mm and .40 S&W too.

egor20 - thanks for the update. I knew about it, even fired one once, but couldn't recall the name. A friend had both the AR-7 rifle and the pistol. Both worked decently for a "survival" gun. The pistol was a bit awkward but suitable for potting squirrels or rabbits.

If someone decided to make a .45 Mauser-style pistol, I'd certainly be up for it as long as it wasn't hugely expensive. Make it in 10mm (or 10mm mag) with a double stack box magazine and it'd be seriously cool.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:17 AM   #141
Shadi Khalil

Re: What kind of hand gun would you like to see produced?

I don't know if it's already been said but I'd like to see a Colt 1908 remake.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:05 PM   #142
BillCA

The 1908 Vest Pocket .25 ACP? Like this one from Precision Small Arms?

At first I thought you meant the 1903 Pocket hammerless in .32/.380 until I realized the 1908 was the teeny .25 Auto. But then I thought.... Could someone make a compact version similar to the 1903 in .38 Super? Why not? The Pocket Hammer was chambered for .38 ACP. Some modern metallurgy and a little redesign[¹] could give you a hot little "pocket" pistol[²].

¹ The .32/.380 and .38 ACP were all blowback designs. The .38 Super requires a locked breech system like the 1911. Why .38 Super? Because it's a nifty cartridge and it's not yet another 9mm.
² Where a pocket is more like the pocket on a man's suit coat or slacks, not the smaller, tighter pockets of some of today's clothing.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:02 PM   #143
EnoughGUN

Dream guns

New mateba 6 unica
Witness limited or stock2 in 460 rowland
sig p220 match elite in 10 mm or 460 rowland
Semi handguns in a 50 cal round like.50 gi but more punch, say. 50 gi maximum if we are looking to name it. Give me a. 50 in the mid 300 grain at 1000+ fps
More 8 round .357 revolvers
A new shorter. 44 mag round like .460 Rowland but slightly longer that could be more easily adapted to semis because of the shorter length and lower pressure andhandguns to fire it
A steel xds. 45
Someone said a cz 97 in 10 mm he'll yeah and a high power too.
Ruger 22/45 with the 45 style steel frame instead of the stupid plastic one and while you are doing that chamber it in 5.7 x28 and for god's sake make them all hold more then 10 rounds
An alchemy arms specter in 10 mm and. 45. Hey kids Now you can have a metal glock, get respect from the 1911 guys AND be seen in public with it and not feel like you got caught riding a pink scooter with an ugly chick!
1911... Heck everything in 7.62 x25. And since you are tooling up for dream land make some jhp rounds for it. Don't forget the full copper ones at insane velocity because at some point you are going to have to drop a mountain lion in body armor at 100 yard. Seriously that happens all the time.
If we are dreaming where is all the cool guns with caseless ammo. It's 2013 for heaven's sake I don't need a gausse rifle but cartriges are barbaric.
Where the heck are the guns with biometrics!? Seriously if we can make a phone the size of a tic tac that communicates with a freaking satellite in SPACE we can build a gun only I can shoot. Not to sound unappreciatev but I've had paintball guns that talked to me, had programmable fire modes, lcd displays with more options then a blackberry, we're laptop programmable and could tell you howmany rounds you fired and at what speed. Handgun manufacturers are seriously slacking.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:20 PM   #144
power5

Unfortunately, until biometrics are 99% reliable, no one is likely to want that on a gun they trust their life to. And what if its cold and I am wearing gloves? All the other electronics should be available by now though. I want the count readout and thermal, zoom, reddot switchable sight.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:28 PM   #145
EnoughGUN

Bah

There are at least two company's that make round counters. As far as the biometric thing the custom uses a watch or similar transmitting device on the person to arm the gun. No actual contact is needed. As. Long as it is in close proximity to the watch it fires. Unless they cut your hand off and let's hope they don't figure that one out.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:14 AM   #146
Ferretboy

Quote:
There are at least two company's that make round counters. As far as the biometric thing the custom uses a watch or similar transmitting device on the person to arm the gun. No actual contact is needed. As. Long as it is in close proximity to the watch it fires. Unless they cut your hand off and let's hope they don't figure that one out.
I am sure people have see Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen (A good 90 minutes of brainless fun), so they would think of that
Old August 23, 2013, 09:23 PM   #147
power5

Hmm, have not seen 2 manufacturers with round counters. Will have to do some looking then since there was no link in that post.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:04 AM   #148
BillCA

Quote:
Where the heck are the guns with biometrics!? Seriously if we can make a phone the size of a tic tac that communicates with a freaking satellite in SPACE we can build a gun only I can shoot. Not to sound unappreciatev but I've had paintball guns that talked to me, had programmable fire modes, lcd displays with more options then a blackberry, we're laptop programmable and could tell you howmany rounds you fired and at what speed. Handgun manufacturers are seriously slacking.
What would these weapons have in common with a flashlight?

The old adage that a flashlight is a storage container for dead batteries.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:15 AM   #149
RsqVet

Things I would love to own:

A stainless sig p210

A 45acp steel frame in the p239 form

A 22 lr ppk or sig p232. Zamack guns don't count

7 shot 357 gp100

A 45 colt alaskan.. Not 454 / 45

A steel framed sig 938.. Might see this one since they have the steel 238

If ruger made a 5 shot 45 colt I would be all over it. I am guessing the tarus offerings in big bore 5 shot guns sold poorly due to distrust of tarus.

A slim, steel framed auto that shoots 22 win mag. Something like the old amt but that actually feeds well
Old August 24, 2013, 08:17 AM   #150
CWKahrFan

I'm still shocked that no manufacturer has come up with a 2/3-size version of the FN Five-seveN in 5.7x28mm that will sell in the $500 range... Instead of 20 rds it'll have 13 or 14 so will be a small yet high-cap SD gun that will sell like hotcakes and revolutionize attitudes about the 5.7x28mm round, eventually making it nearly as popular as 9mm... or so...

You'll see...!

Last edited by CWKahrFan; August 24, 2013 at 01:11 PM.