The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2001, 12:30 AM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Help me build a riot gun

Having looked at various options, I decided to make my own.

Would like to start with a Remington 1100.

Need an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, can't find one anywhere. Suggestions?

Would like to add a magazine extension (+3) -- please recommend a brand/model.

Would a thumbhole stock (such as Choate) be legal on such a thing?
Old June 30, 2001, 01:22 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

I'm not sure anybody has an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. You might take a look at Remington's Law Enforcement web site. I think their short barrel is 20", but I'm not 100% sure. Best bet is to buy a plain barrel, and cut it down yourself.

A 3+ magazine extension will stick out beyond a 18.5" barrel. You would need a 2+ extension, commonly called a 7 shot extension. The Choate is the standard, having been made for years. Tac-Star makes a good one, as does Scattergun technoliges.

A thumb-hole stock is perfectly legal.

For a good selection of shotgun parts and accessories, check out Brownell's at;

www.brownells.com

They carry just about everything that fit to have for shotguns.
Old June 30, 2001, 06:52 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thumbhole stocks tend to be slow to mount and dismount,Oleg. IMO, a standard stock is better for your intended purposes. A full stock with PG will also work.Either HAS to fit.

If I were doing this project for a special purpose, dedicated WIHTF/HD shotgun, I'd....

Cut the bbl wherever convenient between 18 and 20", taking the vent rib posts into consideration.

Add a 2 shot extension and a Side Saddle.

Make the bead high viz with bright paint, a fiber optic add on, or a tritium bead.

Have the smith doing the cutting lengthen the forcing cone and reduce the trigger weight to 3-4 lbs.

Replace the springs and friction ring.

And except for the so far fruitless quest for a working, durable light that costs less than a wild week in Vegas,you're ready....

Now, go burn up some ammo, including reduced recoil buck, and see how it works....
Old June 30, 2001, 03:16 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

What Dave said plus.

Carefully consider the length of pull. You want the stock short enough that it mounts quickly regardless of what you are wearing.

Sam
Old July 1, 2001, 10:47 AM   #5
KSFreeman

Mr. Volk, no need to go to trouble (but can if you wish, it's a quasi-free country). Scattergun Technologies, Bill Wilson bought them out a while back, already has the critter you wish to create. It's called the "K9" model--makes sure they put a light on it and get a Giles Sling. I like the short mag for added reliability and saves weight (but I am desk-bound wimp, not like the former SEALs, Dreaded D, Air Farce PJs, USMC Force Recon, and SAS that make up my gun club).
Old July 1, 2001, 12:02 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

KS, we have the same guy at our club too.....

Funny how you never see them at IDPA or IPSC shoots..

Giz
Old July 1, 2001, 12:24 PM   #7
KSFreeman

Mr. Moderator, you have those guys in the Land of Stars and Bars too? Funny how those ex-SEAL, Green Berets, Selous Scouts, ad naseum, et al, travel around, huh? And those Mike Force Vietnam Vets keep getting younger and younger.

IPSC and IDAP??? I'm a little leery about gun games myself. The only shooting accident at LFI, that I know of, was committed by a gun gamer. Some IPSC "champion" or such who was playing games instead of training.

I helped a friend help paint and tack up targets for an IDPA "match" at my club here in Lafayette. Shooters were doing all kinds of silly things, like firing over a car hood (YIKES--head kind of important) instead of around engine block or under car and running toward a threat (DOUBLE YIKES).

All interest is this sort of stuff evaporated right then and there. Perhaps I was premature for judging all gun games on this one event and the way I understand it IDPA is run by each club to varying degrees of reality vs. gamesmanship. Well, Mas, sez its good to do this stuff to simulate stress. I guess it depends on who you are shooting with.
Old July 2, 2001, 05:50 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

S'funny, the vets I know who've seen the elephant tend to fall into two loose groups. The first have nothing to do at all with gun games, or guns for that matter. The second tend to be rather quiet and low profile, and absolutely deadly. Neither group does much talking about some things.

Still in touch with two buddies from that time. Both live in Northern Ca, one's just been rehabbed into a computer job, the other lives up past Yreka and farms. The farmer hunts and fishes, the other is a city boy. Both get pensions for physical probs and PTSD.Both have guns,shoot them informally for practice, and are w/o a doubt, very good with them. Besides the usual VSMs,etc, We've at least 2 Purple Shafts, and a Presidential Unit Citation. Neither does any games per se, tho one is starting to shoot a bit of trap.

Switching the subject, I quite shooting IPSC long ago, the day I first saw someone win with a handgun I wouldn't carry on the street. Some of those folks are excellent shots, but the idea of standing in plain sight and engaging a foe just upsets me no end. Some habits are easy to acquire. Finding cover when fired at became a lifelong habit milliseconds after my first incident began.

My committment to being as capable as possible for those luckily rare incidents led right here, 30 years later....

Sometimes I wonder if the expertise that comes with practice and proficiency in games is worth the bad tactics and mindset the various Combat Oriented games give.
Old July 2, 2001, 06:04 AM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

There are drawbacks to any kind of serious shooting practice. I shoot IDPA and it reminds me of the early days of IPSC. We have "good" stages and "bad" stages. Prior to IDPA, I shot two or three IPSC matches a year and simply skipped stages that required horrendous errors (IMHO).

I agree about the pressure that a good stage can generate.

FWIW, the last time I had a problem (hopefully the very last time) it took place in a parking lot with no cover other than prone on the asphalt. Paraphrasing Clint Smith, (IIRC) sometimes the fight comes to you if your ready or not..

Giz
Old July 3, 2001, 08:50 PM   #10
KSFreeman

Prone on asphalt?!? DOUBLE YIKES--Hope all was resolved as best it could.
Old July 3, 2001, 09:21 PM   #11
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

KS - I'm posting aren't I?

Short version - drunk ran over a red light, got offended at my horn, circled back, cought me in the parking lot of a grocery store, looked at me with my hand in my jacket (ala the Godfather), drove off.

I did not have a gun.

Bet your fourth point of contact that sort of event will never see my with out a firearm again.

The horn in my truck does not work either.

Giz
Old July 4, 2001, 12:19 AM   #12
Elmo

"While I have never seen the elephant, I have been face-to-face with more than my share of jackasses."

Sorry, feeling pithy tonight.
Old July 8, 2001, 05:23 PM   #13
Rock

Olga
The thumbhole stock and pistol grips are a little slow to mount but if you like the pistol grip Choate's later model p/g comes with removable spacers. I still like the p/g giving a free hand for opening doors etc, and with Choates new style I was able to remove all the spacers but kept the butt pad and mounting is back up to speed.
Rock