The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1
jbrown27

Which 22lr handgun

I was going to give my dad my Ruger SR40 for a car gun as he travels alot for work. He demands to pay for it but I instead just told him that he can just buy me a 22 for me to practice with. I have done alot of research and I have narrowed it down to the Smith M&p 22 or the browning buck mark. I really like the looks and size of the smith and have heard nothing but good things about it. The browning gets great reviews but i am not thrilled about the looks of it but I can get past it if it is good as all say. Just wanting thoughts about giving up on accuracy for looks vs getting accuracy and not liking the looks of a gun. Opinions please.
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old February 23, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
haltoo

I don't know about those 2, but I have a Ruger SR22 and it's awesome. I like the looks of the Ruger SR series and it performs flawlessly and accurately. Just another option for ya.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Parrot-Head

SR22...love mine! It's a blast to shoot.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Ralgha

Re: Which 22lr handgun

Beretta Neos. You'll either love or hate the way it looks, but it's a great gun for little money. Accurate, eats everything you feed it, and easy to take down and clean.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:06 AM   #5
BuckRub

I have a buckmark. Got it about ten yrs ago and still shoot it about every other week and at critters all the time. Most accurate handgun out there. I did the turn spring around from you tube and now it is even more amazing. Again, nothing but good things.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:58 AM   #6
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRub
I have a buckmark. Got it about ten yrs ago and still shoot it about every other week and at critters all the time. Most accurate handgun out there. I did the turn spring around from you tube and now it is even more amazing. Again, nothing but good things.
I have a 22/45 Target I would put shot for shot against your BuckMark. The BuckMark is certainly NOT the most accurate handgun out there. It is, however the better gun, compared to the M&P22. The BM has a proven track record, being capable of handling literally hundreds of thousands of rounds. The M&P22 is a new design, built by Walther, with very little time under its belt. Im not saying the M&P22 is not a fine pistol, but I would rather have a pistol that has proven itself, like the BM, over one, that really, no one knows how well will hold up over time. Get the BM.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:09 AM   #7
chrissy0022

My first gun was a Walther P22.. I used that to learn how to shoot and to increase my accuracy.. i have since moved onto bigger boys now just bought an HK P2000 the P22 is great and easy to shoot the only problem is it is damn picky when it comes to ammo i can only shoot CCI out of it everything else gets jammed...
Old February 24, 2013, 01:10 AM   #8
BuckRub

I like your confidence with your accuracy shooting the 22/45 just don't get next too me on the firing line or you'll lose that too.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Dragline45

Quote:
The browning gets great reviews but i am not thrilled about the looks of it but I can get past it if it is good as all say. Just wanting thoughts about giving up on accuracy for looks vs getting accuracy and not liking the looks of a gun. Opinions please.
Forget about looks and get yourself a Ruger MkIII or 22/45. The Buckmark is always a good choice too. They are tackdrivers and will outshoot the M&P22 all day long. Believe me you will get over the looks of either pistol real fast when you see how well they shoot. I shoot an 8" steel plate at 50 yards consistently with my 22/45.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:35 AM   #10
mdcmn7

I have a buckmark and love it. Great gun, accurate and fun to shoot. Decent amount of accessories and a bunch of model variations. Also spent lots of time with a ruger in my hand as well, they are also very good guns.

The 22/45 is a poly version of the mk3 whose grip has been formed to feel like a 1911 rather than the slightly more angled mk series

The ruger and the bm seem to share the top spot in Target .22 pistols. They are both outstanding and each has its own following for good reason. I get the impression regarding which is best is more of a Ford vs Chevy thing.

Check out both first hand each one feels a little.different, looks a little different and has a different takedown. See which works best and get yourself a new gun!!!!
Old February 24, 2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Pilot

The Rugers are hard to beat in either the MK or 22/45 configuration.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:38 AM   #12
mdcmn7

Forgot to mention the 22/45 lite is also awesome. It has a great balance to it. Unfortunately it looks so odd with the weird gold barrel
Old February 24, 2013, 07:51 AM   #13
RoosterBooster3632

I like the M&P 22

Got mine about 6 weeks ago and really like it. I bought it because it was similar is size to my larger autos and wanted to have a lower cost option for shooting while still having an auto that was close in size to my larger calibers. It is a newer gun but if you search the web you will see review after review with only good things to say about it. I also plan on introducing my wife to shooting handguns this summer and this is going to be her starter platform.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
vossman

M&P 22 is my choice. I have several thousand rounds through mine, feeds fine, runs with all ammo brands/weights. Fits in a standard M&P holster too. You will not be disappointed.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:40 PM   #15
IXLR8

I prefer the Ruger MK for 2 reasons.
1. It is easy to mount a red dot like a fastfire. Burris makes a conformal mount that does not require the rail to be installed. It makes it supremely accurate. And the red dot clears a suppressor.
2. Buy a Cliploader for $25, and you can load the mags in 2 seconds without ending up with aching fingers. Just dump a box of ammo in and push in the mag, amazing. (works with the 22/45 as well, but requires a minor screw adjustment.

They seem to last forever...
Old February 24, 2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Rogervzv

I too would recommend either the Ruger Mark III pistol or the Ruger SR22p pistol.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:28 PM   #17
k511

they are 2 different aminals IMO.... for target use and plinking i would choose the buckmark out of the 2, your going to get better accuracy and in my experience be able to use cheap ammo if you choose.....that said i would also look at rugers offerings the MKI ,, MKII,, MKIII, and 22/45 models are all great and are some of my personal favorites... i personally reccomend the MKII
Old February 24, 2013, 09:38 PM   #18
CajunBass

I've owned several of the Rugers, of all "Marks", and to tell you the truth I don't see any real practical difference between them. One shoots about as well as the other. I'd rather buy a used one than a new one, but only because they cost less generally. I just look for the one with the features I want for the lowest price.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 24, 2013, 09:39 PM   #19
UtahHunting

For a first .22 pistol I would go with a Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK series or 22/45. Either of these guns will do you great. I personally like the Browning better but have owned all of them. They never miss a beat and will eat any ammo you feed it.

I would stay away from the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22. Very picky about ammo if you can get them to feed at all.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Everyone should have a .22 pistol in their collection, or have 5 of them like myself