The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
bigfoot

dillon powder measure

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it so I'll ask anyway. Is there an easy way to empty the powder out of a Dillon powder measure without removing it from the die? Also I use the Lee shell holder with the Lee lock stud chucked in a drill for case trimming. When I use my deburring tool it "chatters" is there a way to avoid the "chatter" ? I've tried many different speeds, slow to fast and it doesn't seem to matter, i still get the buzz. my deburring tool is a RCBS. Do they all chatter or do I need to try a different brand?
Old April 2, 2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

No other way to empty the measure. Use the RCBS tool by hand as was intended. Chatter-free chamfer requires a single-flute cutter or a multiple flute cutter with unevenly spaced flutes. The former can be had at a machine tool supply, but they are not made inverted for case mouth deburring, AFAIK.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 2, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Wayne_E

With my 550, I just remove the fail-safe rod and slide the tool head out and dump the powder. Then cycle the measure a few times to get the last bit of powder out. Not too much trouble.
Old April 2, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
indiandave

Wane E has it right, It's not a big deal to take off your powder measure.
Old April 2, 2009, 03:44 PM   #5
jtravisbayne

Thanks Wayne E.

Bigfoot,

If you feel like a dolt for not seeing this obvious solution, don't feel bad. I've been trying out about 6 different powders for my 9mm loads and have removed the measure from the die everytime. All I had to do was remove the failsafe rod and 2 pins!
Old April 2, 2009, 05:08 PM   #6
bigfoot

thanks

thanks, i didnt even think of removing the tool head. duh!
Old April 2, 2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Rickenbacker53

What The Trick With The Spent Primer Build Up

What The Trick With The Spent Primer Build Up - Sorta Messy ..there Has To Be A Trick
Old April 2, 2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Wayne_E

I've not had much of a problem with spent primer issuse. Make sure the cotter pin on the primer chute is not bent which can keep it from opening and dropping the spent primer. I blow off any powder flakes and any other debris with compressed air occasionally, like during primer refills. What problems are you having with the spent primers on your machine?
Old April 2, 2009, 07:25 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I hadn't thought to ask which Dillon Bigfoot has? The 550B and the 650 tool heads are easily removable as described; just pull two pins and slide out. The measure positive operating rod linkage clip still has to be removed and the rod slipped out first. The Square Deal and the 550 predecessor 450 and the 1050 require taking the measure off or are simply assembled such that it is easier to take the measure off than the whole tool head. A look at the 1050 tool head shows why?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle