The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Big4Freedom

Do I really need .380 dies if I have 9MM?

I've read a mixed bag of comments, throughout the web, about, whether or not it's okay to adjust your dies from 9mm to load .380 or use different ones per the two calibers. I've read just as many stating that you absolutely need different die sets for the two calibers as the ones stating it's completely okay to use the same dies. Has anyone done both with 9mm dies? Or should I just buck up and order some new .380's that I can use in a short 3-5 months from now when they arrive from Dillon? Thanks so much
Old May 4, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Jim Watson

It will take dedicated dies.

The "once fired" 9mm brass I get from BrassmanBrass usually has a few .380s mixed in. If I don't notice the difference when I pick one up, I sure notice when I pull the handle on the press. It slams to the bottom because the 9mm sizer does not even touch the .380 case.

Of course if you have 9mm dies, you could have found this out faster than I could post it.

There are other brands of die than Dillon (unless you are on a SDB), check them out.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3
hodaka

I tried it and it did not work for me. Naturally, you can load .38's all day with .357 dies but it did not work, at least for me, for the 9mm and .380. I have loaded 9mm Largo with 9 Luger dies. Just order a set of Lee .380 dies from Midway or someone and go to town. They should work fine in your Dillon.

Yep, Jim answered while I was typing.
Old May 4, 2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Big4Freedom

Thanks, Guys. That helps. I was 90% in the direction of just ordering the addition die set, before reading your responses, so after reading, I feel good to go ahead and do it. I'll see what is out there, brand wise, for .380 dies. I have the 550B Dillon, so any dies should work, from what I've read, if I can't track down dillon ones. I've stuck with Dillon in the three calibers I currently load simply cause I was able to get them in a timely fashion last fall. I'm excited to start this caliber. Historically, I've shot less of the .380's on range than most other calibers simply due to what I thought was high cost, at the time...Now, $13-14/50 of fmj's sounds pretty good, unfortunately. Btw, the sig p238 ss is an amazingly accurate and fun .380 if you're ever in the market for something different.
Old May 4, 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
farnorthdan

The only other caliber I've been able to load with a 9mm die other than 9 is 38S&W. shot this caliber out of a 38 Webley, I sold this pistol though because it was just to anemic and just not that much fun to shoot. I use a dedicated 380 die for reloading said caliber.

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Wayne_E

You will also need the #3 shellplate for the 550. You can use the powder funnel and locator pins from the 9 though.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
hodaka

If you've got a .223 shell plate it is a #3 also.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:25 PM   #8
wrm

While the 38 is just a short 357, the 9mm short (380 ACP) shares pretty much only the bullet diameter with the 9mm P.

9mm P is a tapered case, so the case head is larger than that of the 380 ACP. This means you need two different sizing dies. You could potentially use the same neck expander and bullet seating dies I guess... havn't tried it though.