The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Surgical Precision

Single Stack 9mm Akin To A 1911?

Hi all. I'm interested in a single stack 9mm and while I would love to have a 1911, finding a good one for CCW may be out of my price range ($700). What are some options out there that still offer a full sized grip and still have a good sight radius? I've shot the M&P Shield but
A) I can't find one and
B) it didn't really impress me as I thought it would.

What single stack models are out there? I plan to carry IWB so slimness is a must.

Thanks!
Old January 6, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Officer's Match

You might check out Kahr's.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
BGutzman

I would look at the Bersa PPCC It just got some great reviews in the gun mags and is in your price range.

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/BPCC.html

I have never fired one but I have a Bersa 380 Thunder that is worth every penny...
Old January 6, 2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Laz

You could probably order a Kahr T9 just within your price range (plus tax of course). All steel. Single column eight round magazine. Very thin. Four inch barrel. DAO. Around 28 ounces w/ empty mag.

You could get the same thing, thinner through the grip, lighter, and cheaper by ordering a TP9. Essentially the same pistol with a polymer frame.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Mercenary

Not sure how slim it is, but you may want to check out the Sig P239. Single stack and close in size to a Commander 1911. Additionally, its hammer fired.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
springer99

If you're looking for IWB carry, 9mm and single-stack, why don't you look at the SIG 938? It's certainly in your price range and would even fit in your pocket. If you like the 1911 manual of arms, you'll be right at home with this one.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Venom1956

Ill second the T9. It is a fantastic pistol.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 7, 2013, 12:45 AM   #8
AndyWest

Also consider a Ruger LC9. I don't personally own one (closest is my LCP) but you might find it to your liking.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:21 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Rock Island Armory (Armscor) has a 9mm 1911 that should be well under your $700 limit.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:47 AM   #10
WoofersInc

Quote:
Rock Island Armory (Armscor) has a 9mm 1911 that should be well under your $700 limit.
This. I just picked one up not long ago for less than the $700 you posted. That is after taxes and NICS.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:51 AM   #11
carguychris

Although it's DA/SA and has a "backwards" slide-mounted safety, the S&W 39-series full-size single-stack pistols have ergonomics modeled after the M1911, and are approximately the same size as a Commander.

The full-size versions come in several basic flavors in 3 generations. The 1st-gen basically consists of the Model 39; the most common variant is the M39-2 ("thirty-nine dash two"), which has an improved extractor design and an alloy frame in blue or nickel finish. The 2nd-gen models added a trigger-actuated firing pin block for drop-safe DA/safety-off carry, and an optional RH-side decocker/safety lever. There were 3 models: the M439, basically an updated M39-2; the M539, which has a steel frame, but was unpopular and is quite uncommon; and the M639, which is all-stainless. The 3rd-gen models added several design refinements, the RH-side decocker/safety became standard, and the later-production pistols have improved sights. There are two models: the M3904, basically an updated M439, and the M3906, basically an updated M639. However, most late 1980s buyers wanted "hi-cap nines" and were not interested in these pistols, so they were dropped after only 3 years. They're somewhat hard to find.

More info and pix here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478540

OTOH have you looked at the RIA 1911 Compact Tactical? It seems like what you're after, although it's Officers ACP size rather than Commander size; I'm not sure what you consider "good sight radius".

https://us.armscor.com/products/1911...t-tactical-9mm
Old January 7, 2013, 10:55 AM   #12
MLeake

If the primary 1911 trait you want is thinness, Kahrs are fine.

If you want a 1911 type trigger or ergos, Kahrs make no sense. They have a long trigger pull, with a feel much like that of the trigger on a nicely broken in DA revolver. I have owned a couple Kahrs. (Edit: I had a PM9, which a friend bought from me because his wife wanted it for CCW, and have an MK9, though a buddy may buy that one... Kahrs are very accurate little pistols, but since I can conceal larger guns, I normally do.)

In your price range, the SIG 938 makes a lot of sense.

(Edit: removed redundant references to RIA Tactical Compact, since two others had already mentioned it.)

The Springfield EMP would be perfect, but new ones are out of the range you mentioned. You might find a used one; in the used market, an STI Shadow might be found. I suspect even the used EMP, Shadow, and Dan Wesson CCO prices will still be over $700.

Last edited by MLeake; January 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Surgical Precision

Hey thanks for the input so far guys. I' really looking for something close in size to a Commander 1911. The Sig P938 resembles a 1911 as far as manual of arms, but its still a smallish gun. I would prefer something still mid to full size for the controlability under a stressful rapid fire situation.

I wasn't aware RIA made the compact tactical 1911. Does anyone have any experience on them, say 2000+ rounds?

The Sig P239 may be another consideration, although their web specs makes it seem a bit thick for a single stack. I'll have to look at one the next time I visit my LGS.

Is the Kahr T9 the same size at the CW9?
Old January 7, 2013, 11:13 AM   #14
MLeake

What you have described, to a virtual T, is an older Dan Wesson CCO. Officer frame, Commander slide. Probably more than $700, used, but perfect for what you say you want.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Pilot

HK P7 PSP. You can still get the German surplus pistols for close to your price range if you look around. It is a single stack 9MM (8+1) with a very nice single action trigger. Very safe to carry, thin, a bit heavy but with a decent holster no problem. In fact I carry mine with a regular leather belt (not a stiff or heavy gun belt) on a cheap Uncle Mike's nylon holster designed for a small auto. It fits perfectly and works really great.

Old January 7, 2013, 11:17 AM   #16
MLeake

I have not seen a decent PSP sell for under $900 lately. (I own PSPs, and they are excellent.)
Old January 7, 2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Mercenary

You may be able to find a used Colt New Agent for $700 ish. Probably a little better than the RIA in quality.

Also, I know you said single stack for the thinness, but you may want to consider the Ruger SR9c. Watch Hickok45's review of it. It's thinner than a Glock and AFAIK its the thinnest double stack on the market. It was designed to have ergos like a 1911.

If you're not set on 9mm, Ruger does have their Commander 1911 line out now. It may be a tad over your $700 limit though.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:58 AM   #18
eastbank

hunt up a S&W 3913 in 9mm, single stack mag in ss. i have had one for years and got it at a good price as the hi cap magazine craze was the in thing then. eastbank.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Don P

Rock Island, Taurus, STI, to name a few. I know some will be all over me for posting Taurus, I have one, shoots great, accurate and in one weekend put 800+ rounds through it without issue or cleaning. Magazines from Taurus leave much to be desired.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:10 PM   #20
carguychris

The OP said...
Quote:
The Sig P239 may be another consideration, although their web specs makes it seem a bit thick for a single stack.
eastbank said...
Quote:
hunt up a S&W 3913 in 9mm, single stack mag in ss. i have had one for years and got it at a good price as the hi cap magazine craze was the in thing then.
FWIW in length and height, the SIG P239 more or less splits the difference between the full-size S&W 39-series (see my prior post) and the compact 3rd-gen M3913 and M3914.

The P239 and M3913/3914 offer 8+1rd capacity. With the original mags, the full-size single-stack S&Ws are also 8+1rd, but they will accept new flush-fitting 9rd mags.

The major advantage of the full-size Smiths is price: in my area, a slightly but visibly worn example will typically fetch $300-$350, vs. $375-$450 for a 39-series compact and $475-$550 for an equal P239.

None of the above are super-thin or particularly lightweight compared to many newer designs, but they're comparable to many traditional 1911's if you take the safety levers into account. YMMV.

Last edited by carguychris; January 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: fixed error!
Old January 7, 2013, 02:13 PM   #21
BigJimP

If you can't find a 1911 in 9mm in your budget range....then I think a Sig 239 in 9mm is the perfect choice.

I'm a big 1911 fan ...and own 1911's in 9mm, .40S&W and .45 acp ...and it is certainly my "go to" platform...and while I was skeptical of the Sig 239 .... I picked up one in 9mm and a 2nd one in .40S&W, over the last few years, --- both in DA/SA triggers - and they are both surprisingly easy to shoot even though I have pretty big hands.

With a good Kramer horsehide leather holster, IWB, the Sig 239 is a really easy gun to carry ....( and so is a 1911 in 4" or 5" )...
Old January 7, 2013, 02:36 PM   #22
ClydeFrog

Para-USA, SIG-Sauer, S-A EMP....

There are a few well made, sub compact 9x19mm pistols out there.
Springfield Armory sells the EMP models. Para USA has the Stealth line(LDA system & Ionshield surface). SIG Sauer has the popular P239 DAK in SASII.
This is a melded design that removes sharp-rough edges. The SIG P290 9mm is good too. It's hammer fired & DAK(DA only). The P290 has a small laser aimer add-on too. CT grips can be added to the P239 line.
Kahrs could work for IWB carry but I'd buy a SIG-Sauer first.

If you'd want to see a .45acp model sub compact, the Glock 36 may meet your concealed carry needs.
I like the .357sig over the .40 or 9x19mm for defense but there are a few good selections out there.

For sales see; www.gilbertsguns.com www.gunsamerica.com www.jgsales.com .

Clyde
Old January 7, 2013, 06:19 PM   #23
Brian48

My ultimate choice in a single stack 9mm is a Sig P210. Once day I'll be rich enough to get one (maybe).
Old January 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Technosavant

Single stack 9mm for a 1911 person?

Sig P938.

Very thin, small enough to be a pocket gun, capable enough to be worth hanging on a belt. 7+1 capacity (sounds familiar).

I'm loving mine, and I heartily recommend it.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:51 PM   #25
Gary L. Griffiths

IIWY, I'd look for a used Star Model B. 1911-style, slightly downsized, accurate and reliable.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)