The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 4, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Kreyzhorse

Help with a Bianchi Should Rig X-15

Okay - I'm not a stupid man, well at least I didn't think so until I bought this damn shoulder rig, but can any one give me a few suggestions on how this thing is supposed to work?

I get holster and the leather shoulder piece, but what the hell do you do with the elastic band? Seems no matter what I do, the elastic band rides right against my neck and is far from a method of concealed carry.

Where should part of the leather upper (where the elastic attaches) ride? On top of my shoulder or more towards the front or back?

What's the best way to route the elastic band?

I'm totally confused and any help would be appreciated.
Old February 4, 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
AK103K

Mines an older one and doenst have any elastic on it, the strap is cotton with a slider. It does ride up high across the back of your neck and theres no give.

I tried looking at their site to see what the new ones look like, but they really dont show the whole thing. It still looks about like mine from what I can see though.
Old February 4, 2008, 07:44 PM   #3
DonR101395

Yep the band goes around you shooting arm and rides along the back of your neck and across your back about midway up from your belt line.
Old February 4, 2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Yep the band goes around you shooting arm and rides along the back of your neck and across your back about midway up from your belt line.
That's what I was afraid of.... I've been messing with the thing for the last hour and a half. The elastic band running aross the back of your neck isn't uncomfortable but tends show.
Old February 4, 2008, 09:48 PM   #5
AK103K

Pretty much every shoulder holster I've ever used shows at the neck, especially if your wearing something without a collar. Its one of the shoulder holsters weak points. Some are better than others, but all seem to do it at some point.

That strap may not seem uncomfortable at first, just give it time.
Old February 5, 2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
That strap may not seem uncomfortable at first, just give it time.
The strap doesn't seem bad now, but the leather holster seems like it could rub the hell out of you if you wear the rig for a while.

I figured this would be the occasional hiking or what not rig but I'll have to work with it to find where it fits in my CCW. Right now at least, I'm not real impressed with my options for CCW using the rig.
Old February 5, 2008, 09:32 AM   #7
bigbird34

x-15 Bianchi Holster

1st,They take a little getting used to,you put it on like you would a vest ....it should be snug ,but not tight ,the leather part of the holster should be comfortable around the shoulder ,if you have an X-15 with the belt loop,it should be secured,but not be pulling your pants up,and your shoulder down....the elastic ,should not pull,but assist,in securing the rig......I like the two I have ,but I will admit,they carry big guns ,and without a loose fitting coat ,they are not well hidden .....but they make driving easier .....give them times,and adjust them as necassary...BB34
Old February 5, 2008, 09:32 AM   #8
AK103K

As with any of method of carry, you really have to give it a good try. They all seem a little off at first, especially when your not used to it.

The only way to figure out what works best for you is to try each method yourself, and again, give it some time.

The shoulder holsters have a lot of latitude for adjustment, and you can spend a lot of time trying to get it just right. The strap issue will never go away, even when you do get it adjusted, its just one of their weak points.

I'd try getting it as close to comfortable as you can and wear the hell out of it over the next week or so, adjusting it as necessary, and then see where you are. If you really have to have a shoulder holster, maybe one of the other types would work better for you.

What kind of gun are you carrying in it again?
Old February 5, 2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
What kind of gun are you carrying in it again?
I'm carrying a Smith snub nose Airweight. This isn't my primary mode of carry but I thought it might have some merit for hiking and whatever. I wore it for about 4 hours last night and really spent a lot of time working on the adjustments. I suspect that I'll have to continue to fine tune it each time I wear it.

When I get home tonight, I'll slip out of my work closes and slip into the Bianchi and continue to work with it.

It certainly takes a little more getting used to than a simple IWB or OWB holster.
Old February 5, 2008, 01:11 PM   #10
AK103K

Your holster probably weighs more than your gun.

Keep at it and see how it goes. You may find that spot and really like it. If not, welcome to the club. I sold most of my old holsters off on EBay. Bought a number off there too, and at real reasonable prices.

I have a Galco Executive for my J frames. So far, its my favorite for the smaller guns. They are a little pricey, but you can get them for a good bit less than retail if you shop the web.

I also have a Ken Null thats a little different, but works OK. Its more of a hanger than a holster, and has a strange method of use, but it does work. I picked it up off EBay for around $15.
Old February 6, 2008, 07:34 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Your holster probably weighs more than your gun.
You know, I had that exact same though and I think that it actually does out weigh the Smith.

I had it on for a bit yesterday and made a few minor adustments. It's getting better, but certainly not my favorite method of carry. This weekend I'll try to live in it and see if I can get it just about perfect.

I've been lucky so far and other than an IWB for a Glock, all of my holster purchases have worked out pretty well. I've been carrying for a couple of years now and most of that time has been spent carrying a Galco OWB that works very well.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and first hand knowledge about my Bianchi.
Old February 17, 2008, 06:36 PM   #12
FM12

I wore one back in the 1970s, but it was way easier to reach back then! I had the medium size and could carry several different guns, most any 4" mid framed revolver and BHP, 1911, etc. Take care that your gun dosent fall out when you lean over...mine didnt have a snap in strap, add one if you need to, it's worth it!