The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2001, 02:14 PM   #1
ATTICUS

another Rem 870 question

I disassembled my very wet and dirty 870 last night. After cleaning, lubing, and reassembling, the carrier hangs up on the left side action bar when cocking. It doesn’t hang up when cycling a shell (I was very carefull), only when the gun is empty. The carrier appears to be slightly off center. Any ideas?
Old November 28, 2001, 03:59 PM   #2
SDC

Is it hanging up slightly on the left shell stop? The carrier has to depress the shell stop at that point to release a new shell onto the lifter, so that might be it; your shell stop could be coming out of its groove, or be bent slightly.
Old November 28, 2001, 04:55 PM   #3
ATTICUS

No, it hangs up on the bottom of the action bar (it's actually the right hand side..sorry). I was reading another post today that mentioned straightening the bars, so I'll take a look at that tonight. Thanks.
Old November 28, 2001, 07:03 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Is it an 870 Express? My 870 Express HD did the same thing. The lifter's pivot holes were slightly out of spec, and the lifter was held to one side of the loading area.
I disassembled the trigger group, and bent the legs of the lifter slightly. It took several tries to get it more or less centered, and I eventually had to put a very slight "Z" bend in the legs.
I'm not sure, but this may be a problem with the plastic trigger plate of the Express.
Old November 28, 2001, 07:16 PM   #5
ATTICUS

Thanks, but no, it's not an express. I took it apart tonight and the problem was related to the TacStar side saddle shell holder. I tried loosening the bolts, but nothing seemed to work. It was on the gun before, but now it's throwing something out of kilter. I re-installed the original trigger pins and all was fixed. Oh well, I guess I can live with having ONLY seven shells on hand.