The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Mausermolt

1911 spring kits

im looking into buying a new set of springs for my 1911. ive replaced the springs once in my AO around the time i bought it. she was a bit tired when i bought it (bout 8k rnds), but heck, a 200$ 1911...who could resist right? so its been about another 5000 rnds down the pipe and im having some occasional FTE and erratic ejection issues, must be time to replace the springs. who makes the best spring kit for 1911's? the last recoil spring was a wilson combat, and i just replaced the leaf spring with a wilson about 100 rnds ago along with a worn out sear and disconnector (like i said shes been shot alot) any suggestions on a new recoil spring? Wolf, Wilson,....?
Old May 12, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
AFK

I've always used Wolff with good results.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Wolff.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Mausermolt

okie dokie WOLFF it is thanks guys
Old May 15, 2013, 11:27 AM   #5
RickB

Failure to eject and erratic ejection would suggest a problem with the extractor or ejector. Is the latter intact, and tight to the frame? Will the former hold a live round against the breechface as you rotate the slide around?
Old May 15, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
g.willikers

13,000 rounds, in a good quality, properly built 1911, is just getting warmed up.
What's with all the parts changing, already?
An occasional recoil spring maybe, but sears, disconnectors and such seems kind of over doing it.
Did they really need to be replaced, or were you just being overly cautious?
Old May 16, 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Mausermolt

well after cocking, putting the safety on, squeezing the trigger to make sure the safety functioned the then when i took the safety off the hammer would drop ....so yeah it needed replaced. Also i replaced the barrel because the barrel link hanggy down holder thingy had gotten damaged somehow and the link was pinched a bit keeping it from swinging freely.

"....a good quality 1911..." remember we are talking about a AO here :P

yes i have tweaked the extractor so it is properly holding the cartridge against the slide. as i remember it it is to hold it enough to keep it in place while rotating it, but if you give it a bit of a shake then the round should fall out.

side note:the round count could very well be MUCH higher, just sayin i have personally witnessed about 13K rnds go through the pipe.

Last edited by Mausermolt; May 16, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:40 PM   #8
RickB

Quote:
yes i have tweaked the extractor so it is properly holding the cartridge against the slide. as i remember it it is to hold it enough to keep it in place while rotating it, but if you give it a bit of a shake then the round should fall out.
I try an empty case first; the case should be held solidly enough that it does not move when the slide is tilted or rotated. Then try it with a loaded round; the round should "droop" away from the breechface from the weight of the bullet, but it should not fall off the extractor hook. That's a reasonable place to start.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:03 PM   #9
BigJimP

Wolf springs are ok ....but I use Wilson Combat springs on all of my 1911's.