The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2002, 04:22 PM   #1
Tom B

NIB Ruger P90 Range Report

Traded for the two tone Davidsons special edition model that only comes with one 8rd mag. Put 80rds of 230gr FMJ range ammo of various brands and 9rds of Win 185gr STHP thru it. First off the mag was very tight inserting it into magwell even after some lube. Has loosened up some after range visit. Reliability was great with one exception. Shot the Win ammo last and chambering the first round by hand, I had the bullet jam against the feedramp. The ramp was very dirty by this time. All other rds chambered and fired with no problems. Accuracy was very good and sights were well regulated from the factory. DA trigger was poor and typical Ruger auto. SA was at best OK. After I returned home I took the dremel and polished the feedramp to a mirror shine. During shooting the brass ejection was about 9 feet which indicates that the Ruger could use about an additional 2lbs of recoil spring which I will do after break in. I am not a great 45acp fan (not as long as there is a 10mm round) but I do want one handgun in that cal in my collection. I think the P90 will fit the bill. As I placed the Ruger on the shelf beside my ebony beauty Glock 20 I could hear the Glock say "I have to live here with the likes of you?". The Ruger just smiled because it knew it had found a home. Sorry I digress.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:09 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks for the report. By the way, you said accuracy was good, but what groups at what distance?
Old April 30, 2002, 11:42 AM   #3
tonyz

My P90 groups around 1 1/2 to 2" at fifty feet, shooting offhand.
I sent the pistol back to ruger with the complant that the trigger was rough, It came back with about a 3 1/2LB S/A trigger pull and the D/A is smooth, light and sweet.

Tony
Old April 30, 2002, 12:28 PM   #4
J.R. Bob Dobbs

Ruger semi-autos are great guns, just a little rough around the edges My p95 has never failed, and is very accurate and fun to shoot. Maybe I'll just have to send it off to get a Ruger trigger job.....feels like there's sand in there (there's not). Years ago I had a p89 that also was 100%.