The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Sixer

Up to $900 to spend... which 1911?

I know, I know... another "which 1911 do I buy" thread. My apologies, but I plan on buying my first 1911 before the end of the year and I'm not exactly an expert on the platform.

What I'm looking for -

- .45 ACP
- Full size 5" barrel
- traditional look (no rails, etc)
- Stainless finish
- Room to upgrade
- $900 or less OTD

Right now I've had my eye on a Springfield Loaded... I'd love to have a Colt, but it may not be in my price range.

Thoughts, advice, etc!?
Thanks!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

IMHO, there's a lot of good stuff that can be had in your range. First stop, bac1023's buyer's guide: http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts
Old November 13, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Jay24bal

Remington 1911 R1s

I also had an itch for a stainless, full sized, 45 ACP basic 1911 and I wanted to stay around the $800ish range. Just last week I finally ordered the Remington 1911 R1s.

I looked at several (Ruger, Springfield, and Remington were my top 3 choices), and had a chance to shoot them all by either renting them at my range or borrowing one from a friend that has one (the Ruger) and got to test them out. What I found was that the Remington felt the best out of the box IMO as all three were stock configurations. It had the best trigger of the three and judging by the different ones of each they had in stock, the Remington seemed to come with the tightest tolerances (although the Ruger was close).

Obviously, all three are from "quality" manufacturers and I doubt I could have gone wrong with any of them. After firing all three, the Remington just felt best in my hand.

Can't wait for it to come in!

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 13, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
JimDandy

Define basic.. there's the GI 1911, and there's the more currently popular version... the higher beavertail, and hammer combo, flared ejection port, and a few other bells and whistles aren't GI, but they're pretty nice to have.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Shoot45's

You could find a used Sig C3 and have change for ammo.
I've had one for years, never had any problems.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
blackamos

Sig Sauer 1911 SXO

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+XT+Extreme-Us
Old November 13, 2012, 07:49 PM   #7
erob3

I have to say Sixer for what you are looking for I would go with a Ruger SR1911. I got lucky and picked one up when they first came out, it was absolutely great right out of the box. And the really good thing is you can get one well under your $900 price point and that buys alot of ammo. If your interested a gun store in my area was selling them for $650 a few days ago. If your interested send me a PM and I will give the info. Anyway, not only does the Ruger meet your list it also is American made. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
fsmitka

Bought a new SA Loaded in SS recently. I am totally happy with it, accurate 100% reliable and nicely finished. The slide to frame fit is tight and smooth, trigger is crisp with a little play. $799. I looked at the Sig and Smith, both looked as nice as the Springfield. I went with the Loaded due to SA's customer service record. I don't want to get jerked around by a manufacturer if I have problems with the weapon down the road. Although, I have sent several revolvers to Smith and Wesson for service and repair and they have been great every time. Don't know about Sig Sauer.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:44 PM   #9
orionengnr

If you are wanting a new 1911, I think that the Ruger SR1911 is a very good choice.

For that same $900 (or a few bucks more), you can get some serious quality in used 1911s.

I recently bought an S&W Scandium framed Commander sized 1911 ($750). In the last three years I have missed out on two Wilsons (one for $999 and one for $1100) and snagged a Les Baer for about $1200.

There are some really good deals out there, but you have to keep your eyes open and strike while the iron is hot...
Old November 13, 2012, 11:32 PM   #10
JR_Roosa

You won't regret a Colt. I think you can even get an XSE for a little more than $900 if you really like novak sights and beavertails.

I like the traditional style though. You might even want to look for one of the series 70 stainless models if you really want to go old-school.

-J.
Old November 13, 2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Micahweeks

Personally, I wouldn't spend ~$900 just because you have $900. A great 1911 can be had for less. I've been very happy that I listened to the advice to spare some cash for a good carry set up. In my case, I have an STI Spartan (~$650), a great, no, amazing belt from Rick Garcia on this board (~$60 shipped @ http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/catalog_2.html), and holster from Tucker Gunleather with a double mag carrier (~$160 shipped). I've found that since I have the rig, I'm just not afraid to by more 1911s! I just recently picked up my third in nine months, a High Standard officer size 1911 for the wife (terrific so far at around 400 rounds). I say save cash for the full set up and some ammo. You won't regret it.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:06 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

colt gold cup is a great decision. i got mine for $800 new. good luck finding that price, but $900 shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 14, 2012, 03:01 PM   #13
RadioFlyer8

I've heard great things about the Ruger, leaves you some money left over for other goodies as well.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:59 PM   #14
Scotty45

My Colt has been on my hip as an EDC weapon and I've gotten lots of training on it. 100% still at 16 months and 600-800 rounds through it. It shoots 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards out of the box. I'll never go with anyone else unless I want custom but then if I had that much money to burn I'd probably get a base Colt and customize it up.

Oh yeah, and it's a Combat Elite (basically a two-tone XSE) and I paid $899. Good luck and enjoy your selection!

"I may be a slow walker, but I never walk back" -- Abraham Lincoln
Old November 14, 2012, 09:32 PM   #15
rcase1234

I've heard good reviews on the new Remington 1911 R1. Check 'em out they seen like a traditional 1911. Just what your looking for
Old November 14, 2012, 09:38 PM   #16
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase1234 View Post
I've heard good reviews on the new Remington 1911 R1. Check 'em out they seen like a traditional 1911. Just what your looking for
+1 I was impressed by the R1 I held, and the stainless R1S is beautiful.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:15 PM   #17
Mrgunsngear

I know I'm going to get crap for this but here goes

I'd get either a RIA, Springfield, or S&W. Reason being, all have great customer service & great warranties. It has been my experience that a relatively high percentage of production 1911s have reliability issues. (I define reliable as having less 2 or less malfunctions of any kind every 1k rounds)

I've sent at least one of all of the above brands back for service and have been 100% satisfied each time I got my gun back. That's what counts for me. Any company can put out a lemon or two from time to time but standing behind their product is what makes me buy another or recommend them in a forum such as this.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Fishbed77

Colt.

Everything else is just a copy.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:20 AM   #19
Sixer

Thanks for the input guys!

Every single one of the brands recommended sound great... I've been considering the Springfield, S&W, Sig, Ruger, and Remington and a few others... BUT I keep going back to the Colt!

Something about the pony... My grandfather had one and I remember thinking it was the coolest gun ever. I've wanted one ever since.

That may not be the best reason to buy a certain gun, and I may not end up with a Colt... but it's something to consider.

Is it bad that I've already bought ammo for a gun / caliber I don't own yet, hahaha!?

As far as the leather ... check my sig line (shameless plug).

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:41 AM   #20
rcase1234

If you want a Colt I'd get a Gold Cup. Nicest handgun I've ever shot. If I were you I'd also consider buying a cheaper 1911 and putting some $ into it to fit you. That was recommended to me when I was looking at 1911s. Never went through with the plan but didn't seem like a bad idea
Old November 15, 2012, 10:04 AM   #21
JimDandy

Well Sixer, if you keep going back to Colt, I'd say that means one of two decisions is best for you... buy one of the other ones, like the Sig, so that you still have that goal in the back of your mind of buying a Colt, or just buy a Colt. If it keeps coming up, chances are you won't be finished, though you may be happy, until you buy a colt. I went the first route, and picked up a Sig Nightmare for carry. I like the full size, and had more printing issues with the grip than the barrel IWB, so the fastback was the solution. Now I'm waiting to see what options Colt comes out with on their civilian release of the new Marine Corps pistol...
Old November 15, 2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Sixer

Quote:
Well Sixer, if you keep going back to Colt, I'd say that means one of two decisions is best for you... buy one of the other ones, like the Sig, so that you still have that goal in the back of your mind of buying a Colt, or just buy a Colt.
I think you are absolutely right. Even if I buy a nice Springfield, Sig, SW, Ruger, Remington, etc... I have a feeling I'm still going to want that Colt.

Old November 15, 2012, 03:51 PM   #23
JimDandy

So get the other one, to motivate you to save up for a Colt, then you'll have two
Old November 15, 2012, 04:44 PM   #24
Coltman 77

Get the Colt, it's obvious that it's what you want. If you buy something else you'll still pine for the Colt.

Here's a picture of my newest Colt Combat Commander to inspire you:

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 15, 2012, 05:11 PM   #25
Grant D

I bought a beautiful, polished, stainless steel, Springfield Armory Champion loaded 45, but still ended up buying a stainless Colt 1991A1 anyway,so buy the Colt and be done with it. lol