The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2001, 09:01 AM   #1
MR.G

clean stryker on S&W Sigma ?

Is it necessary to occasionally remove and clean, or lubricate, the stryker assembly on a S&W Sigma ?
Old August 4, 2001, 10:01 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would say it is not necessary unless the gun has been in the water or been abused in some other way.

Jim
Old August 5, 2001, 12:30 AM   #3
Gewehr98

Those darned Sigmas!

As a range officer near Sacramento, I witnessed a brand-new, out-of-the-box Sigma fail to fire partway through the first 50 rounds of factory ammo. Turns out the striker couldn't make a solid impact on the primers because of accumulated crud in the firing pin channel. I would've just chalked this up as a fluke, but not more than a month later, another proud new owner of a Sigma ran into the EXACT same problem at my range! If I remember correctly, S&W ended up warning owners to use only certain brands of ammo to prevent the misfires. (I'm thinking of the red primer sealant on such ammo as Winchester White Box) Perhaps a subtle striker/slide redesign since then, I haven't heard of this problem surfacing in a long time. But by then, I'd decided a Sigma wasn't going to be used by me for serious carry purposes...
Old August 5, 2001, 10:25 PM   #4
Charmedlyfe

The design of the Sigma's striker and channel make it a crud magnet. YES, clean it, but DON'T let ANY lube/cleaner accumilate. One of the problems was that solid lube that came on it from the factory (according to the S&W rep, we were supposed to leave it on) would flake off the slide and get in the channel. That was actually most of the problem -everything collected on the flakes of that stuff, and it got into the spring and damped it down. Light strikes. DON'T forget to clean the striker and spring.