The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 21, 2009, 10:28 PM   #1
hknut

Full Auto parts

I was told by a friend that I can have 1 FA part in my Semi Auto gun. Is that true? I have a custom lower marked for FA and would like a FA selector switch for the look. I will also have antiwalk pins. Will this be a problem. Thank you in advance.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

It is generally inadvisable to have any full auto-capable components in your firing group. BATFE has and can say it is constructive intent.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
richmondtx

+1 to Ridge Runner. Any FA part in a non FA weapon albeit technically is not verbotten, but if someone with "authority" decides to confiscate said weapon and litigate against you, it could get expensive. It is better to have a vanilla version of something then to be in a "grey zone" open to interpretation. If you really want to add this part on, write to the BATFE and get clarification in the form of a letter sent back to you. If they OK it, keep it with your modified toy, that way if someone with "authority" decides differently, you will have some recourse.

oh also, this might be flame bait..so let me clarify...when I said a FA part in a non FA weapon...I didn't mean things like auto sears or parts that blatantly change the weapon to a FA MG. That is obviously a huge No-No.

Last edited by richmondtx; December 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarification...
Old December 23, 2009, 10:39 PM   #4
hknut

Thank you guys.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:06 PM   #5
David Hineline

Anti-Walk pins serve no purpose if your pins are walking you have your parts installed incorrectly as the trigger and hammer and j springs lock the pins in place.

Washington state law says the following.

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 421; 1933 c 64 § 4; RRS § 2518-4.]