The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 22, 2009, 01:42 PM   #1
T B Good

Silencers in Washington state

Good day,

Can anyone let me know, can you own a silencer in Washington state, and if so, what are qualifications? Or where can I find the law online?

Thanks
Old December 22, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Tuna2o3

Yep you can own one but you cannot use it as defined by RCW 9.41.250 (1)(c) it becomes a gross misdemeanor
Old December 22, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
T B Good

That seems odd, to be able to own, but not use.

Is there anyone out there on the form who uses one?
Old December 22, 2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Yep. There are a few here that own and use them. We don't live in Washington... Actually I think there is a member who lives in Washington but close to the border so he can shoot the suppressed gun in another state.
Old December 22, 2009, 03:52 PM   #5
RAnb

WA state has no qualifications to own a silencer, they are not even defined as guns in WA. They just ban their use as a gross misdemeanor. At the federal level, anyone who can own a gun can own a silencer. The applications are routinely approved by the ATF for anyone who fills out the forms correctly. You need to be at least 18 to make or own one, 21 to receive one from a dealer.

I make silencers on ATF form 1's. I live near Seattle, far from any borders. Any time I leave WA for one of the 36 states where they are legal for unlicensed civilians to use, I bring as many guns, ammo and silencers as I can carry with me in the car or plane. Northwest Airlines limits you to one machine gun, one silencer and two rifles and pistols according to their website. They have not enforced this when I exceeded the number allowed. United has no limit, just get them into a locked hard case.

The law banning use is rather lame. I have heard the police and military are exempt from prosecution for silencer use, but have not been able to find any loophole in the law that allows this. I wrote to the WA AG requesting that he extend the same courtesy to those who own registered silencers and was told there is no exemption from prosecution for use by the police or military. Anyone know more about this?

Ranb
Old December 22, 2009, 07:17 PM   #6
T B Good

It seems not worth it.
I would love to have one, but, as you can guess I don't want to be in trouble.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:33 PM   #7
isanchez2008

If you hear of legislation coming up to vote to change the wording of that particular law, contact your rep. and ask them to make it legal to use. Last time I checked LE was not excluded from the ban on using them.
Old December 24, 2009, 09:37 AM   #8
RAnb

Quote:
It seems not worth it.
I would love to have one, but, as you can guess I don't want to be in trouble.
It is well worth it, as long as you have opportunities to shoot them legally.

Ranb
Old December 24, 2009, 10:54 AM   #9
hey you

I am living in Washington, but was born in Oregon. All of my family still lives there, so I go home quite often. I would like to purchase a suppressor. Seeing how I can not shoot through it here, what do I have to do to use it in Oregon?

Thanks
Old December 24, 2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Willie Lowman

Quote:
what do I have to do to use it in Oregon?
Take it to Oregon. Put it on your gun and shoot it. Take it off your gun and go home. Simple as that. There are no forms to take a suppressor across state lines. You should be sure that they are legal in a state before you take them across the border.
Old December 28, 2009, 04:11 AM   #11
hknut

If you want info on them. I can send you a link to a few dealers that will do all your paperwork with you. Let me know.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:16 AM   #12
hey you

HKNUT

please send info.
Old December 29, 2009, 03:32 AM   #13
hknut

PM sent.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.