The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2009, 05:39 PM   #26
butta9999

Well hound hunting in Victoria is the most commited, hard, physical form of hunting i have ever seen and been a part of.

I used to think hunting off the dogs for Sambar was the easy way out till i saw it for myself. The dedication week in week out, and the physical side of it was unbelievable.

If any of you guys from the US ever visit Victoria in Australia and you want an extreme form of hunting. go on the hounds for a weekend.
Old October 10, 2009, 06:13 PM   #27
jgcoastie

I grew up hunting deer and rabbits with dogs down in central Mississippi (the REAL dog-hunting capital of the world). My dad and I raised some of the best rabbit beagles in three counties. The memories I've shared with my dad and granddad chasing rabbits are some that I hold most dear.

Most of the guys in our hunting club raised walkers and black & tans for deer. A few had beagles, but they were in the minority. Overall it was a good club, but sadly it has been almost shut down. Most of the land that they leased is from paper companies (GP, IP, etc) and they have issued new regulations this year prohibiting deer hunting with the aid of dogs. Of the 7,000 or so acres they hunt, the paper companies own roughly 5,500 acres right in the middle of the hunting grounds. Only the locals (and fewer of them than last year) allow dog hunting on their land. Because of that, fewer people have joined this year and it looks like they won't have enough $$$ to pay the leases.

It's sad, I remember the first deer I ever killed was with the club. A big-bodied doe popped out in the middle of an old logging road, looked around for the dogs that had been chasing her and by the time she saw me squatted down in the middle of the road, that .243 bucked and she never took another breath. I remember dad saying "Shoot her buddy, she's got a lot of meat on her." BOOM! "Good shot son, I'm gonna make a hunter out of you yet." We walked on down to her laying in the middle of the road with the dogs all sniffing around at her and he talked to me about how important it was to respect the game I'd just killed and we sat down right there and prayed, thanking the Good Lord for providing us with that meat. He still talks about that day, even though we've hunted together hundreds of times since then. In hindsight I think me harvesting my first deer was more important to him than it was to me.

Sorry for the lengthy trip down memory lane, but I hope the journey helped bring another prospective to hunting with dogs. Not all dog hunters are unethical pieces of crap, the bad ones have ruined it for the rest of us for the most part, just like everything else in this world...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 10, 2009, 06:25 PM   #28
rantingredneck

Quote:
Rougemont in your neck of the woods.
Rougemont isn't far from where I hunt at all. The folks who lease the neighboring property still dog hunt. We occasionally hook up with them for a big doe cull toward the end of the season. The landowners appreciate us taking as many corn and bean eating deer off the land as we can each year.

This year I'm lagging behind. By now I've usually got 2 or 3 in the freezer with the bow and I've been skunked so far.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old October 10, 2009, 08:32 PM   #29
shortwave

hogdogs,Thanks for the song. Been debating bout getting another Beagle. Sure miss the rabbit hunting. Someone posted about a guy rabbit hunting their deer lease at the end of deer season and sometimes not bringing his gun. I can definitely relate. The whole process of finding a good pup to the many hours of training is surely a true pleasure. Just taking a dog you`ve trained affield and watching it work, dog doing what you know it loves to do, the satisfaction is unexplainable. For those that have trained/hunted with dogs,you know what I mean. For those that have never(and your a dog lover), you don`t know what your missing. Don`t think there`s a stronger bond between animal and man then a hunter and his dog. Guess I`ll be looking for a good Beagle hunting bloodline now. Thanks for the thread roy reali.
Old October 11, 2009, 01:53 AM   #30
roy reali

Questions?

What is more natural, hunting with dogs or hunting with guns?

The first human hunters used dogs, they did not use guns?

Again, which is more natural? Humans probably learned their hunting skills from dogs. The whole team work and must have a pack leader mentality.
Old October 11, 2009, 04:43 AM   #31
CajunBass

Quote:
There's also something really cool about a happy dog who knows he's done exactly what you wanted him to do.
Ain't that the truth?

A quick dog hunting story. We got permission to hunt a farm we didn't lease, but the owner let us hunt a couple times a year. I got the assignment to go in on a place we leased and cut the drive off on the back side. I had the place to myself, just pick a spot and move around as needed.

I got in position and the drive started and the dogs hit right away and the chase was on. I listened and it sounded like the pack split up. Most went one way, but a couple were coming toward me. It wasn't long before I saw a deer, but it was too far away to take a shot (shotgun and buckshot). She went on over the hill and out of sight with two dogs trailing her. Before long I couldn't hear the dogs either.

I relaxed and listened to the chase in front of me. They weren't coming near me, but it was a good chase anyway. I'm sure I heard a shot or two from over there, but can't swear to it today.

About an hour later I spotted a doe coming down the hill toward me. She was just walking, and looking around. When she came in range, I dropped her with two loads of number 1's. It was the third deer I'd ever killed in my life, and I had just killed no 2 a week or so before, so man I was pumped.

Then I heard one dog bow-wowing, so I got ready again. Before long I realized that the dog was trailing the deer I just killed. He came right down the same track right up to the deer laying on the ground and gave me a "THERE IT IS! I knew I'd catch it. IT'S MINE!!" look. Man he was proud of himself.

It was one of the same two dogs (beagle's) that had come by me earlier. They had carried that deer in a big circle, just like a rabbit will do. I'm not even sure she knew the dog was behind her she was so far ahead. I had killed her before I even heard the dog. He was so tired I thought we'd have to carry him out of the woods, but he had never given up.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 11, 2009, 06:19 AM   #32
Hawg

We can hunt with dogs, even have two seasons especially for it but I don't. I know people that do and I have no problem with it. I just like to hunt alone.
Now if you really want some fun go coon hunting at night with a dog.
Old October 11, 2009, 07:45 AM   #33
TheNatureBoy

Dogs are allowed here in the state of Virginia. If I remember correctly there was an effort to prohibit the use of them a few years ago but it fell flat on its face. Truth be told, I enjoy watching and listening to a good pack of deer dogs work more than the actual hunt itself.
Old October 27, 2009, 01:10 AM   #34
bamaranger

deer dogs/dog deer hunters

Dog hunting deer is legal in my county.
So, technically, I have no basis for a gripe unless the deer dog hunters do any of the following:
-release the dogs on property closed to dog hunting, say before daylight so as to reduce the likelihood of being caught, then place standers along the boundary to shoot at deer being run out by dogs (examples, WMA's, parks, adjoining leases/clubs that do not sanction dog hunts)
-trespass, armed, and when confronted, claim to be attempting recover their dogs
-listen/stand for extended periods of time while dogs run on closed property and make no attempt to recover the dogs
-tell me that "dogs can't read" (the boundary sign, etc) like I can't figure that out myself, when confronted about any of the above
Old October 27, 2009, 02:11 AM   #35
jgcoastie

Quote:
Dog hunting deer is legal in my county.
So, technically, I have no basis for a gripe unless the deer dog hunters do any of the following:
-release the dogs on property closed to dog hunting, say before daylight so as to reduce the likelihood of being caught, then place standers along the boundary to shoot at deer being run out by dogs (examples, WMA's, parks, adjoining leases/clubs that do not sanction dog hunts)
-trespass, armed, and when confronted, claim to be attempting recover their dogs
-listen/stand for extended periods of time while dogs run on closed property and make no attempt to recover the dogs
-tell me that "dogs can't read" (the boundary sign, etc) like I can't figure that out myself, when confronted about any of the above
Just one more case of the few messing it up for the masses... I guess we should just ban it huh? Regulate it to the point of impossibility so that we are no longer annoyed...

Oh, wait... The government is doing that already, only they are targeting much more valuable things than dog hunting...

"Use your rights or lose them..." So the saying goes; I think the real problem is that ethical, law-abiding dog hunters are a dying breed, so there aren't enough voices in the defense box to be heard over the "ban it cuz it's mean!" box... It is we who have failed ourselves; we did not pass on the tradition to the younger generations... So the tradition is lost. Tragedy or not (IYO), it's a loss to the hunting community as a whole...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:30 AM   #36
Uncle Buck

Here in Missouri, you can't hunt with dogs, but you can track with them to find a down animal. My favorite tracking dog you ask? Why it is my miniature Poodle. Lol!
Had one last year I lost in a corn field. I found blood spots and I just could not find her. I took the poodle with me to give her some exercise while I was looking again. She got on the trail to something and I decided to follow her. She led me right to the deer.
If you see a dog running deer, you are supposed to contact the local game warden and let them him/her know. Most folks I know claim they just shoot the dog. I do not agree with shooting anyone's dog unless it is a repeat offender and the owner has been notified of the infraction.
I envy you folks that do hunt with dogs. I think it would be exciting and quick paced, reguardless of what you were hunting.
My biggest concern would be the hog hunters. I would be afraid the dogs would be hurt.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:09 AM   #37
DRice.72

I have never hunted with dogs. When I was a kid I hated dog hunters. Where we live, as redneck has said, you can't hunt deer with dogs, but you can dog hunt coon, and bear. Problem with that was, you can't tell a bear not to come on your land, and the dogs follow the bear. Now we were poor, I mean no electricity or running water poor, so we NEEDED the deer and I don't' care what you say dogs run off deer. Bear hunters would have one run across us, well you couldn't buy any wild game for a week! When you rely on something, anything that takes it away you look down on. As I have grown up I have learned more about hunting, and thus more about dog hunting. I have been invited to go on a bear hunt and I most likely will, when I get a gun suitable for it. As for hogs, I have wanted to do that for a long time. We don't have many hogs here in Western NC. I really don't look on dog hunting with a bad light anymore as I have come to learn that where you live has more to do with how you hunt than anything. Still hunting is great in theory, but I doubt anyone will have much success mucking through a swamp in thick under brush Your going to make far too much noise to be effective and in the small scrub that seems to grow there more than anything, a stand is also mostly useless. If I had to hunt there, I imagine I would use dogs to drive the deer to a place that was accessible to me. JMHO.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:43 AM   #38
jgcoastie

Quote:
we NEEDED the deer and I don't' care what you say dogs run off deer.
Thought you said you'd never shot a deer before... If you really did need them, I would venture to guess that you would've killed a few...

Old October 27, 2009, 10:56 AM   #39
DRice.72

I never have. I have seen many deer when I was a kid. I had the best hunting spot around. I got wedged into a rock crevice above an old abandoned logging road, it was through a low gap in the mtns, and everything passed by me. We only had one deer rifle, and I had a Win. .22 lr. I wasn't allowed to shoot a deer with it because if I missed the deer would only be wounded and probably die someplace else.
Old October 28, 2009, 01:56 AM   #40
bamaranger

hang on there

I never said anything about banning dogging deer.

Just so nobody else thinks I hate hounds. My Dad was a rabbit hunter and we had beagles. Heck I've got two myself, still. Other guys in town would offer to buy my Dad's dogs, but they were not for sale. My BEST memories concerning my father are hunting bunnies w/ my him.

But I have had many bad experiences w/ dog deer hunters.

If Dad had a kennel of deer dogs, I would likely be in there today. But we bowhunted deer (clumsily, in those days).

If the deer doggers I deal w/ just stayed legal, and had some manners I'd have a better opinion.
Old October 28, 2009, 02:09 AM   #41
rmocarsky

neither tried it, so no judgment but . . .

If the dog catches up to the deer, do they just bay it up, or try to kill it?

Rmocarsky