The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 23, 2009, 12:38 AM   #1
essohbe

Stupid AK magazine:

I have a WASR10, one magazine for it I got is seized up.
I think it's the spring but I can't check because I don't know how to get the thing open (apparently). It won't budge, the bottom plate won't come off. I'm out of options.

It's a double-stack magazine, and it is so seized that it won't even budge so I can snap in one round even.

If anyone has come across the same thing and figured out a fix, I would much appreciate it if you have any suggestions.

I'd rather fix it if it can be fixed, instead of throwing away.

:barf:
Old May 23, 2009, 12:50 AM   #2
B. Lahey

I got a bogus mag with my WASR too. I think it was buried in Africa for a few decades. Rusty. Dented. Wouldn't feed.

Chuck the rusty dentmobile. There are lots of decent mags out there, and they are cheap.

You probably can't fix it, it must have been run over by a tank or something. Get some new mags.
Old May 23, 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
smoakingun

I've never seen a disfunctional ak mag. Wow. If you really must salvage it, and it is rust siezed, I would start by putting the mag in a vice. Spray the mag with pb blaster or similar penetrating oil. Let it sit 15 to 20 minutes. Get a brass drift that just fits inbetween the lips of the mag, and give it a few good whacks with a large hammer to free up the follower. Turn the mag over in the vice. Usinthe same drift and hammer, give the floor plate taps in each direction untill it moves, then dissasemble and clean the mag. But if it were me, I'd spend the 30 bucks on 4 surplus ones from cheaper than dirt or elsewhere.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:20 AM   #4
chris in va

...and wear eye protection.
Old May 23, 2009, 02:32 PM   #5
essohbe

I finally got the thing apart today. I managed to free the bottom plate and SHEESH! The amount of rust that was in the thing... The spring is rusted, the top plate I had to free up with a hammer and punch, there is rust caked on the inside wall, I bent the top plate trying to free it ....

This is going in the garbage. It's beyond fixing. I can't imagine what happened. It must have been buried or full of mud somewhere.

I can see it USED to be a good mag. It has the raised part so that the bolt locks back after the last round in the mag is emptied.

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Old May 23, 2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Csspecs

you could probably use a rust converter to clean it up... Mags are not that expensive either.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Que

I understand about fixing something rather than throwing it away, I'm the same way, but for $20 you can have a perfectly functional and reliable mag. I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to jeopardize a weapon as legendary in terms of reliability to save a few bucks on a mag. I could see if the mags were diffiuclt to obtain, but they aren't.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Csspecs

I tend to fix or at least stop the deterioration of things like rifle mags. I figure if a new ban went into effect that mag may be worth 50.00 to me, in that case I'd have no problem cleaning it for a couple hours.

I do have a box of junk mags that I've picked up for next to nothing. If at some point its worth it I can fix them. Until then they are good for spare parts or to practice rapid reloads with (like when you drop the mag to the ground to save time). And I've been known to practice with mags that are faulty to replicate failures. With practice you can feel a jam happen and know how to clear it fast.

But always make sure to keep your junk mags in a junk box away from the good ones.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:59 AM   #9
IZZY

www.aimsurplus.com has excellent AK mags for 15 bucks + shipping.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/S...pe_Rifles.html

Mine looked new spanking excellent.

Tags
ak-47 , broken , magazine , seized , wasr