The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 19, 2016, 11:58 AM   #1
ditchpanther

Heavy Caliber Revolver Recommendations

I currently own a 9mm M&P Shield, a Daniel Defense AR15, a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 30-06, and a Remington 870. I am always looking to expand my collection. I am currently looking for something different than what I have, and that is fun to shoot.

I think I came to the conclusion that a large caliber revolver would be a fun thing to have. I love shooting revolvers.

I would use this revolver for mainly target shooting and fun shooting, but might look at using it for hunting whitetails in MN. Mostly under 20 yard shots where I hunt. Any recommendations for a heavy caliber revolver? So far I like the looks of a Ruger blackhawk/redhawk.
Old July 19, 2016, 12:02 PM   #2
BarryLee

I had a Ruger .44mag and it was a lot of fun.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod.../overview.html
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 19, 2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Wheelie_Fan

I've been enjoying my S&W mod. 69 for about a year now (more or less) and have found it to be a very accurate and high quality handgun.
while it's .44 mag., i tend to run .44 special through it most of the time. i will say it handles the magnum round without much fuss though.... just my .02

good luck with whatever you decide!
Old July 19, 2016, 12:30 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Very few people don't think a 357 mag is humane for white tail inside 25 yards.
On the other end 460 SW seems like the most versatile cartridge in the large bore category. Inside 20 yards the short cartridge options should be plenty accurate for white tail.
SO many in between.
Old July 19, 2016, 01:46 PM   #5
TomADC

I have two Rugers both with 5.5 inch barrels a 45 Colt & 44 mag. They are just fun to shoot, and both calibers offer a reloader many choices, as would one in .357.
Old July 19, 2016, 01:55 PM   #6
sandbag

44 Special

You might consider 44 Special.
It is extremely versatile-you can load it mild to nearly low end 44 Mag levels.
Easy on the hand in sturdy revolvers.
Suitable for hunting with hotter loads.
Do not used hot loads in a Charter Arms Bulldog.
Old July 19, 2016, 02:03 PM   #7
ligonierbill

If you load your own, seriously consider a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. If not, since most of the time will be on the range, look at a Blackhawk or GP-100 in .357 mag. Minimum 5 1/2 barrel, and 6 1/2 or even 7 1/2 are better. You'll save on ammo, and I agree that the .357 will drop deer at appropriate range. If you gotta have the .44, realize that ammo will cost more, and you may find .44 Special particularly rare and expensive.

I like Smiths, too, but they'll cost more.
Old July 19, 2016, 02:42 PM   #8
AL45

I've got a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt that I reload for. You can shoot very mild loads all the way to loads that will surpass a .44 mag. Or get a .454 Casull and shoot weak .45 Colt loads all the way to elephant stomping .454 Casull loads. Nothing like versatility in a firearm.
Old July 19, 2016, 05:36 PM   #9
DaleA

Disclaimer: I have not owned or even shot the .460 S&W Magnum but the big X frame revolver has certainly has enthralled me. Like johnwilliamson said you can shoot . 45 Colt, .454 Casull or of course the .460 S&W Magnum. It's on my someday list (not high on it but it is on it) and for your purposes maybe deserves a look.
Old July 19, 2016, 06:16 PM   #10
gwpercle

A Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 45 colt / 45 acp would offer a lot of reloading possibilities. 45 acp for target , plinking ....45 Colt for larger things.
Gary
Old July 19, 2016, 06:16 PM   #11
jackmoser65

I'd suggest starting with the .357 and working your way up.

Quote:
You can shoot very mild loads all the way to loads that will surpass a .44 mag.
Similar but it won't surpass the .44 Magnum without exceeding Ruger only pressures.
Old July 19, 2016, 06:36 PM   #12
Targa

Love my 5.5" .44mag Blackhawk, favorite handgun that I own or have shot.
Old July 19, 2016, 09:33 PM   #13
black mamba

I recommend a 44 magnum, and if your budget will allow it, a Smith & Wesson. The Rugers are a little stronger, but most people don't shoot them enough with heavy loads to need the extra margin of strength, and the S&Ws have such better triggers. A 629-5 Classic is my current favorite, and it is superbly accurate with almost every load I've ever put through it.

Old July 19, 2016, 09:44 PM   #14
Crunchy Frog

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley. I have a friend who hunts with a handgun and he swears by the Bisley grip frame for heavy loads.
Old July 19, 2016, 09:55 PM   #15
Ocraknife

I think a .357 mag would do all you want and more.

-Jimro
Old July 19, 2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Ocraknife

Quote:
I've got a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt that I reload for. You can shoot very mild loads all the way to loads that will surpass a .44 mag. Or get a .454 Casull and shoot weak .45 Colt loads all the way to elephant stomping .454 Casull loads. Nothing like versatility in a firearm.
I had know idea that a .45 Colt could do that! Awesome. I want one even more now! It always seemed like a great handloader's round.

-Jimro
Old July 19, 2016, 10:11 PM   #17
tallball

My favorite large-caliber revolvers are definitely my Ruger Blackhawks. I have a 45acp/45 colt convertible and a 44 magnum Super Blackhawk. They both have 7.5" barrels. They are accurate and fun to shoot. Either one would be good for hunting.

45acp and 44 special are generally mild and easy to shoot. 45 colt and 44 magnum can be loaded awfully hot.

I would highly recommend either one of those revolvers.
Old July 19, 2016, 10:53 PM   #18
Sequins

If you want a big bore revolver and you haven't got much experience with them then you want a .44mag

Ruger is my preferred brand, though some prefer Smith. Both are good but Ruger I'd bigger and heavier and when I want big bore I want big everything.

Ruger Super Blackhawk is the right choice if you want single action, and the Redhawk is the solution for a double action fix. Super Redhawk is fine too but I prefer the regular Redhawks because it's even bigger and heavier.
Old July 20, 2016, 07:47 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

If your a reloaded don't rule out the .41 Mag. Plenty of power and very versatile to load for, and your not just another gun in the crowd.
Old July 20, 2016, 08:57 AM   #20
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I would use this revolver for mainly target shooting and fun shooting, but might look at using it for hunting whitetails in MN. Mostly under 20 yard shots where I hunt. Any recommendations for a heavy caliber revolver? So far I like the looks of a Ruger blackhawk/redhawk.
Howdy

I did not see any mention in the OP's post about needing a revolver that would put down an elephant. I also see no mention that the OP owns any revolvers yet, so I don't think one of the 'Super Magnums' is a good choice for a first revolver. Certainly not for target and fun shooting. Yes, you can fire 45 Colt in some of them, but they are really big and much more gun than is needed for informal shooting.

357 Mag is a great caliber, but it does not qualify as a 'large caliber revolver', which is what the OP specified. 44 Mag is great, but over powered for most target and fun shooting needs. Yes, you can shoot 44 Special in a 44 Mag, but try finding any 44 Special ammo over the counter locally. Great if you reload, not so great if you don't.

I bought this 45 Colt/45 ACP Ruger Blackhawk convertible way back in 1975. My first 'big bore' revolver, and one of the first revolvers I ever bought. Always fun to shoot, and ammunition is usually easily available locally, both 45 Colt and 45 ACP. If you are not into reloading yet, 45 Colt is a great cartridge to learn on, because the components are big and easily handled. I am not a hunter, but depending on what is legal where you live, there are plenty of factory 45 Colt loads that will put down a deer. 45 Colt is an extremely versatile cartridge. It can be downloaded so that it is a pussycat, standard loads are nothing to sneer at, and a large frame Blackhawk like this can handle the so called 'Ruger Only' loads too.

Today Ruger is only offering the blued 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible with a 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel, not the 7 1/2" barrel like mine, although you can find a 7 1/2" convertible at one of their exclusive dealers.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...le/models.html

Ruger does sell a blued Blackhawk chambered for 45 Colt only with a 7 1/2" barrel.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...ed/models.html

You can also find a Bisley model in 45 Colt.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...ey/models.html

Lots of choices.

P.S. Don't expect to pay $150 for one, like I did in 1975.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; July 20, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 20, 2016, 09:04 AM   #21
ZEBRARANGER

I've never really hunted much with a revolver. When I did, I used this 9.5" Super Redhawk 44 mag.
Its a heavy revolver and handles hot loads well. Because of its size and weight, I carried it in a bandolero style holster.
Old July 20, 2016, 09:44 AM   #22
22-rimfire

Baby steps up in caliber.... recommend a 44 mag or 41 mag revolver versus some of the larger more powerful big bores.
Old July 20, 2016, 01:51 PM   #23
jumpingeezer

If you reload, then I would definitely recommend a 41Mag. I own a S&W Model 57 and a Ruger Blackhawk in this caliber. I would recommend either of them. Do you want a DA or a SA? I love them both and shoot them both.

I would never have thought of purchasing either of these revolvers if the right deal hadn't come along when I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I always thought of the 41MAG as something that was an unnecessary compromise between the 357 and the 44Mags. After I purchased these 41Mag. revolvers and started shooting them I saw the light and changed my mind. Old Elmer got it halfway right! It was way too much gun for the average policeman to handle, but it sure made for a great hunting arm and it's accurate and fun to shoot.

Factory ammunition for the 41Mag is grossly over priced and I wouldn't recommend a 41Mag for anyone who doesn't reload. If you do reload, then the component parts are no more expensive than those for any other cartridge.
Old July 20, 2016, 02:09 PM   #24
kraigwy

A 4 inch 357 will do all that's needed, while still being able to control the revolver.

Both these guys were shot with a 4 in Model 28, 150 gr cast SWC bullets (Lyman mold 358477), 14.5 gr 2400,...............disregard the Rifle that was inserted for the photo.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 20, 2016, 07:58 PM   #25
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Different" and "fun to shoot"? How about a suggestion to go the opposite direction and try a good DA/SA revolver in (Shock! Surprise!) .22 LR? There are a lot of good K-22's around.

Cheap practice. Lots of fun. Ears remain in place without "muffs" the size of small cars. Then after you get used to a sporting handgun (the Shield is a self-defense gun, not a plinker), you can move to a more powerful gun if you want, something you can hunt with.

Jim