The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 29, 2013, 08:20 AM   #26
ClydeFrog

Much ado....

If you live in a "open carry" or 2A supporting area, I'd say live & let live re; holsters/carry options.
I don't really get how some license holders & armed citizens fret over other people's weapons/holsters/gear.
Some systems or methods work better than others but Im not going to be a safety nazi over it.

Years ago, while working on a armed security detail at a chain hotel in a urban area, I had a major call that required several sheriffs office deputies.
As I turned & followed 2 higher ranking sheriff's office supervisors, I heard a young rookie patrol deputy yell; "WATCH OUT". The 2 seasoned, veteran cops turned around scowled at the young deputy & their facial expressions were like; "REALLY?!?" "Are you serious?".
Thinking of that event always makes me grin.

CF
Old March 29, 2013, 07:49 PM   #27
Buzzcook

For the vast majority of people the decision to carry a firearm is a fashion choice. And thank goodness for that.

People that open carry are just more fashion forward.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:19 AM   #28
egor20

Quote:
People that open carry are just more fashion forward.
My wife would have to say "Fashion Back" to the late 1870s.

Then again she has about 20 pairs of cowboy type boots.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 30, 2013, 12:54 AM   #29
BIG P

I C.C. full size auto's most of the time,has nothing to do with fashion its what I prefer.I work in the public & feel sure sometimes people may get a peak but myself dont think its a big deal.
O.C may be ok but it does draw attention you may not want,and that takes attention away form ME & thats good for my team.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:42 AM   #30
Quadpod88

Why does it bother you, are you paranoid someone else is going to run up and disarm them for the $50 in the register? When you scan your surroundings you use more peripherals anyways, otherwise you look shifty and nervous(that's what draws attention). Camo? I wear camo all the time, I'm also in the sticks alot and frankly the jackets are much warmer. I agree with JimmyR on this one, stop being so judgmental. As a gun owner you should feel more comfortable in a well armed room. Next time strike up a conversation on what they carry. Who knows, you might make some new friends
Old March 30, 2013, 07:50 PM   #31
SauerGrapes

I was in one of my local Wawas last week. I saw a guy OCing. It was fairly cool so I had a jacket on. I just stood back and watched him and the other patrons.
As far as I could see, I don't think anybody even noticed him. I only noticed because I'm always looking around out of habit.

I don't understand the stigma about camo. Up at our club, there's always a half a dozon guys wearing camo jackets or pants. Maybe some of you only reguard camo as tactical wear. When I was younger and really into hunting, I wore a camo jacket quite often.

You know, we're all in the same fraternity. We should be sticking together. I guess some of you would be applauld at one of our open carry dinners.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 30, 2013, 08:05 PM   #32
BlkHawk73

In my opinion, these folks, the open carry ones are most often doing so for the attention and to achieve the "shock and awe". Add the camo clad factor and I see it even more of a "look at me" need for a testosterone boost.
Old March 31, 2013, 12:39 AM   #33
cheezhed

I conceal carry while I wear camouflage. In the cheese state it is so common for people including women and children to wear camouflage that no one
notices or cares. I have also seen open carriers and surmised that nobody was screaming or frightened so with me it is a live and let live situation. I accept the fact not everyone approves of open carry but I find it no more objectionable than same sex couples holding hands in public.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:17 AM   #34
MarkDozier

Quote:
At the same time why does it matter if they were wearing cammo, plaid, or even a pinstripe suit?
You must be joking, What kind if man open carrys wearing a pin stripe suit. That just ruins the whole look.
Old March 31, 2013, 09:26 AM   #35
ClydeFrog

Its not what you spew....

Its what you do.

CF
Old March 31, 2013, 10:10 AM   #36
peacefulgary

I don't open carry, but I don't have a problem with those who do.

Besides, who is going to try and snatch a handgun from the holster of a guy who is with a GROUP of armed camo clad buddies?!?

Walk up to a squad of soldiers and try to grab one of their weapons.
Let us know how that worked out for ya.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:15 AM   #37
deepcreek

I know a few people that open carry I always though it was stupid, mostly because is Wal-mart parking lot really that dangerous? I could see open carry in Colombia, El Salvador or other extremely dangerous places where the odds of having a shoot out is high but in the US?

Like a guy carrying a machete or a shovel in NY city because their is so much dirt and vines?

Seems like more of a fashion thing.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:57 AM   #38
FireForged

My only concern about OCers is that many business owners see it as some sort of activism and if they dont like it, post NO GUNS ALLOWED signs which ends up effecting even the CCWer. We have all seen this happen
Old April 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #39
CSG

As long as they're carrying a Concealed Weapons Permit badge on their belt, what's the big deal?

Old April 3, 2013, 10:26 AM   #40
jrothWA

For the question that have benn posted..

Having CPL'ed since the 80's.
Having read John Bianchi's book, where he stresses control and retention of sidearms.

I am not biased against any carry which presents POSITIVE attitude/picture.

There was no open night hunting season at that time.

I have "camo" for archery and turkey hunting, if I wearing any other time is because its retired to "grungy / dirty" work around the house.

The OC that I observed was on the thigh and I DIDNOT observe and retaining device employed, original holsters from the late 1800's had either hammer straps or like the "slim jim" carried in a deep holster.
Old April 3, 2013, 12:01 PM   #41
tahunua001

FWIW. I've been that guy the OP describes. I had good reason though. I was on my way out to the boon docks to go bear hunting and I had I rarely go hunting without a side arm and always wear camo.
Idaho is an open carry state and requires no blaze orange so I could easily be mistaken for nutbag militia wannabe...

however in Idaho, unless it's a government building(post office, court house, school etc) no guns allowed signs do not carry the weight of law so even if someone has no guns allowed they can't do anything about it. they can call the cops and report a disturbance if they want but by the time they get there I'll be well on my way to run another errand or head up the mountain...

just how I look at it... your .02 may buy something different.
Old April 3, 2013, 12:13 PM   #42
alex0535

We have open carry here in Georgia, It really is not a very common thing to see. Most people do a pretty good job of carrying concealed here.

When I get my carry permit, I plan to carry concealed everywhere except our own property. If on my own property, I don't necessarily mind that a trespasser can see I have a gun on my hip, it will probably encourage them to not want to start anything with me and wander back wherever they came from.
Old April 3, 2013, 08:55 PM   #43
Mr. James

Quote:
In my opinion, these folks, the open carry ones are most often doing so for the attention and to achieve the "shock and awe". Add the camo clad factor and I see it even more of a "look at me" need for a testosterone boost.
Really? "He's just compensating"?

I live in the urban confines of Fairfax County, Virginia, and have a fair amount of experience with open carry. Guess what? It's not an issue, even in gun-loathing Northern Virginia. Maybe that's because I'm a passably-groomed middle-aged white guy, who isn't given to wearing "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" T-shirts. Or maybe, as I suspect, 99.987% of our fellows go around in a state of near catatonia.

On the other hand, I have seen scrofulous young men open carrying, decked out in Armageddon black from head to heel, looking like they were out to pick a fight. No thanks.

Funny story from last Saturday: I was shopping in a Wegman's supermarket in Fairfax, and as I rounded an aisle, I was confronted by a stunning blonde, all, oh, about 6'1" of her. Forgive me, Lord, married man that I am, I just had to appreciate this wonderful example of God's handiwork. As the eyes drifted along the curving coastline, whoa! she was open carrying an HK30 (I believe). Now, that is rare in these parts. The holstered weapon, not the woman!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 6, 2013, 03:15 PM   #44
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Can we please not bash people for carrying a weapon legally and safely?
Yes please, be it OC or CC. I have no problem with OC and have done it occasionally here in Michigan where it's been legal since statehood. Especially, up north in the wild when I didn't have a CPL. Now that I do, I prefer CC, but reserve the right to OC whenever, without trouble from anyone.
Old April 6, 2013, 03:28 PM   #45
manta49

Open carry here would identify you as a of duty police officer or prison officer and quite possibly get you shot. So probably not a good idea it would also let terrorists know you were armed so when they came for you they would make sure you didn't get a chance to use it. Again not a good idea the only reason i can see for open carry is posing.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:28 PM   #46
BuckRub

I agree with last post. I am a LEO and only OC on duty. CC the rest of the time. Not saying not to if you're legal where you can. If its lega and you want to then its your right. Just saying it ain't for me.
Old April 8, 2013, 03:12 PM   #47
Tactical Jackalope

Open carry for permit holders is ridiculous. The option is good if you accidentally print, you don't get in trouble.

To walk around and just want to open carry to me is ridiculous.

Like these kids taking a video of themselves open carrying where it's legal..and getting all butt hurt when the police approach them accordingly. How they're trained. I think they're complete morons to be honest. That's asking for trouble.

The other who do it..I don't get it. Someone will know to either take you out first, or you may just be lucky and have unknowingly deterred a violent/criminal situation.

Your time will come though public carrying. Someone is always bigger and badder than you and has a superiority complex to want to show it, who better than the guy with the neon target sign on his hip?

Pardon the harshness. -__-
Old April 8, 2013, 04:02 PM   #48
bonefamily

Quote:
Open carry for permit holders is ridiculous. The option is good if you accidentally print, you don't get in trouble.
This could vary from state to stae, but doesn't OC need to be in plain view at all times when carrying?
Old April 8, 2013, 05:25 PM   #49
Tactical Jackalope

Open Carry concerns???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefamily View Post
This could vary from state to stae, but doesn't OC need to be in plain view at all times when carrying?
You know how some of these things are written. Florida has a funny version of that. Has to do with printing. So wind blows. You're open carrying. Wind stops. You're concealed. No foul.
Old April 8, 2013, 11:31 PM   #50
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
The other who do it..I don't get it. Someone will know to either take you out first, or you may just be lucky and have unknowingly deterred a violent/criminal situation.

Your time will come though public carrying. Someone is always bigger and badder than you and has a superiority complex to want to show it, who better than the guy with the neon target sign on his hip?
Any references for this statement? It seems to be "common knowledge," but I haven't seen anything beyond sparse annecdotes. Is there some well respected reference that I have somehow missed?
Closed Thread