The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 1999, 09:13 PM   #1
leedesert

I just purchased a Winchester Ranger, model 120 youth, 20 gauge 2 3/4" & 3", with 22" barrel. I paid $139 and it's in mint condition.

Does anyone know anything about this gun? I know it's discontinued and I think it was replaced by the 1300. Can anyone recomend some home defense ammo for this gun? I bought one box of Remington express 2 3/4", 3 buck 20 pellets and one box of Federal Premium 3", 2 buck magnum 18 pellets. Are these good and what is the difference when shooting?

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Old December 23, 1999, 04:30 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I worked for the Md Dept of Public Safety for 20 years in the prison system,and we had some 1200s. They did not hold up as well as they should, unfortunately.

However, Correctional Weapons take much abuse.Take care of yours and you'll probably be OK.

As for HD ammo, practically any cartridge will work fine at typical HD ranges,striking as a solid mass instead of a pattern. To reduce the chance of overpenetration, I'd suggest smaller shot than buck, like #6 or 7 1/2.
Old December 23, 1999, 09:26 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Leedesert, I see you have done your homework. Excellent self defense loads. The obvious difference will be in felt recoil. The Federal 3", #2 buckshot will have more recoil. The Remington 2 3/4" #3 buckshot is similar but less recoil. Try both and see which you are more comfortable with.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.