The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 1999, 10:08 PM   #1
Dorsai

Shot a 3 gun match this weekend and most of the autos were Benelli's. One couple shot at the SOF match in Las Vegas and said the Remingtons couldn't hack the dust and had a lot of malfunctions. I'd like an auto and had thought of getting a cheap 1100 and doing some work on it, but not if it isn't reliable (I'm moving to LV). Any practical experience out there?

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Old November 23, 1999, 09:32 AM   #2
CMOS

Your observations about seeing many Benelli's are for good reason. The M1 SuperDuper 90 is a tried and proven shotgun in the tactical and hunting arena.

IMHO, you cannot ever go wrong with an M1 Super 90.

I've shot Winchesters, Remington's and the Benelli's. I own an M1S90. I am still amazed at the cyclic rate this shotgun has.

(I do like my Remington 870 Marine Magnum however...)

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.
Old November 23, 1999, 02:54 PM   #3
oberkommando

Ditto CMOS.

I love my m1s90, but if you want lower recoil you might want one of the rem autoloaders just have it worked at one of the specialty shops, then I think it would be reliable enough. Dont know for sure but maybe Tanks, I have been very happy with Hans Vang, or LARROCA cutom 1100 or 11-87.
Old November 23, 1999, 04:54 PM   #4
CMOS

BTW, I put a Pachmyer (sp?) Decellerator Pad on my Benelli. Muuuuuuuh better .

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.
Old November 23, 1999, 08:14 PM   #5
hksigwalther

Or...if you're shooting light loads, get an M3SuperDuper90 and use the pump mode.

I just got an 11-87 too and it seems okay. Haven't really had a chance to fire it yet but will do so this Thnxgiving weekend. Hard to beat that ten round extended mag.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old November 24, 1999, 10:19 PM   #6
Edmund Rowe

I've shot my M1 Super 90 Benelli Tactical in 2 shotgun training classes. My impressions:

-Ghost rings are fast
-Action cycles fast
-Benelli is very light (believe me this helps while you're holding on target with one hand while topping off the mag for 3 days)
-Sights or sight hood (front and rear) want to vibrate loose
-Factory stock a tad too long
-Mr. Benelli HURTS for extended shooting training. I mean one mag load for a competition or a defensive situation isn't bad. Shoot a variety of slugs and buckshot over 3 days and OUCH that hurts.

One of my shotgun instructors said a major metro police dept replaces their tac team Benellis every 2 years because they wear out with intensive training. I believe it since all that weight savings has to come from somewhere. I don't know what wears out first but I know that receiver is aluminum. Now, whether a civilian will ever shoot that much that they need to worry about replacing their Benelli is debatable.

I got an 11-87 to compare how I like it to the Benelli. Verdict still in deliberations. I think that a good shooter will do well with either and it's really up to personal preference.

Edmund

Old November 25, 1999, 07:48 AM   #7
Jaeger

Try a Beretta 1201FP. Same cyclic rate as the Benelli. It's light, fast and utterly reliable. Mine has never malfunctioned and will work reliably with low brass target loads. You should be able to find one NIB for under $500. This is a much overlooked and underrated combat shotgun and is at least the equal of if not superior to the Benelli! IMHO Try one. I guarentee you will not be disappointed.
Old November 27, 1999, 07:32 AM   #8
STEVE M

Jaeger,
Can the Baretta's chamber be unloaded/reloaded while the magazine is full? And will it still cycle if a shell has slipped onto the lift plate? These are two features of the Benelli that I have heard about (don't own either) that have me leaning toward it.

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!
Old November 27, 1999, 04:50 PM   #9
fumank9

I saw a company on the web that would cut down (with the approval of ATF and proper tax stamp of the Benelli to the 14 inch entry gun configeration. But ... I did not book mark it can anyone help me find them again ?
Old November 27, 1999, 11:13 PM   #10
Ankeny

Don't know much about tactical shotguns, but I hunt geese and predators a lot with my Super 90, 11-87 and Super Black Eagle.

I hunt in stubble fields during extremely cold weather. My actions are full of sand and dirt most of the time.

I have had the same number of problems with both shotguns. The Benelli doesn't work well with dry lube so I use Breakfree. Of course lube, dirt, and cold don't mix.

The Remington will run when it is dry and the only real problem comes when the gas port is plugged. The government trappers out here gun predators from aircraft with 12 gauge shotguns and they just plain abuse them to pieces. Their gun of choice is the 11-87.

By the way, the Beretta recoil operated shotguns use the same action as the Benelli.

Get which ever shotgun you point the best then keep it maintained and you won't have any troubles.
Old December 1, 1999, 08:19 PM   #11
Beano

Hi Dorsai,

MOO, its chalk and cheese and Benelli's the cheese. The M1 super90 is magnificent and especially with loads of 1 1/8oz or above are virtually unstoppable. I have seen them work straight out of the box with 24g (gram) loads. However, a simple recoil spring change that allows light loads will solve any ejection problems if they crop up.

There is a reason that Beretta Recoil Semi-Auto's have Benelli internals. Benelli actions are the simplest and FASTEST around. Beretta has just bought the company. No doubt they will pirate all of Benelli's technology, just like they did with Perazzi, before getting rid of it.

The 1201f is a carbon copy of an early Black Eagle and the Pintail is an Exact, Precise, Carbon Copy of the early Benelli 121sl80's. One thing is to be said for Beretta. When they copy, they copy good. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either the 1201f or the Pintail.

MOO, there is no gas operated semi auto, as reliable as a recoil operated semi auto. However, if I had my choice of gas guns, first would be the Beretta's and second the Browning Gold. The 1100/87's are too finicky for me. I don't like o-rings and things of that nature. With my Benelli's I don't need to walk around with a tool kit and parts, or to have a spare in the car.

Another thing, balance, Benelli's and Beretta's are so much better balanced than 1100/87's. They are a joy to shoot for extended periods. When they used to come with a butt plate only, some people thought the felt recoil was a little heavy. Improved shooting technique, especially on moving targets, will help eliminate felt recoil. Also, Benelli's of today come with nice big recoil pads. These help a lot too. An 1100/87 is an nice shooting gun, when its working, but hurts the left hand a bit too much.

MOO, Benelli's are the best semi autos in the world.

ENJOY SHOTGUNNING and try ISSF Skeet.
Old December 1, 1999, 11:26 PM   #12
hksigwalther

Don't forget Beretta copying Walther's P-38 for their 951/92.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old December 2, 1999, 04:12 PM   #13
Jaeger

Sorry for the late reply, Steve M. I've been away hunting.

The Beretta's chamber can be loaded and unloaded with a loaded magazine. It will also cycle with a shell on the lift plate. There is a small button at the base of the lift plate that must be pushed to release a round from the magazine. Beretta calls this a "cruiser safety". It works very well and with a bit of practice becomes second nature. Copy or no copy the 1201 is a helluva shotgun! And the price is right.