The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 28, 2013, 06:18 AM   #1
Hal

Email this editor and tell him thanks

This article appeared in the Sunday edition of the Lorain Journal.
Please pay particular attention to what changed this editors mind - the emotion driven hysteria of the gun control side vs solid reasoning on the support for the RKBA side.

I've followed Tom Skoch for a number of years & he's always taken a gun control stance. I give him a lot of credit for having the guts to admit he was wrong.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articl...mode=fullstory

Quote:
It's not about guns; it’s about keeping control of your life.

The gun control “war” launched against American citizens and the Constitution this past week by the elites in Washington, D.C., is most certainly not about keeping little Bobby and Mary Jane safe in school.

Newtown was the perfect “crisis” that the Obama elites don’t want to waste in neutralizing opposition to their transformation of America into a utopian fantasy land. That sort of thing that has always evolved into a fatal disaster throughout the last century.

This past week, with great showmanship, Obama squeezed the kids like triggers; he fired them like little emotional bullets into America’s heart to disrupt your ability to think clearly about what is happening to our country.

As a journalist, I lived on the anti-gun side of the national divide for most of my life without questioning. Finally, in editing a daily Opinion page, I saw all the pro- and anti- arguments and statistics. Eventually, the truth became crystal clear: the pro-gun side was right by weight of fact and reason over the anti’s torrent of emotion and feelings.
Read the full opinion at the above link.

Last edited by Al Norris; January 28, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: copyright restrictions
Old January 28, 2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Closing The Gap

Just like the emotional rhetoric, if you repeat them enough even facts will sink in eventually. We need to keep repeating the facts until the rest who can be swayed by reason and logic have been.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
USA SHARK

I just sent him a message. Now if he could only influence his peers in the media...

I have sent so many letters as I really just don't understand the media and liberals reasoning (other than their pure emotional and irrational responses to tragedies), but maybe they don't understand ours either. I find it hard to believe their is a big conspiracy to take away our arms so they can then exterminate us, so I am hoping that at some point they become open to reality, much like this journalist.

Continue to fight the good fight.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Hal

Bump...

The guy is taking a lot of heat from the gun control people.

A simple email of thanks would go a long way...

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 31, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Sent.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:02 AM   #6
USA SHARK

I sent him a message a few days ago, and he responded. He needs to stand strong for what he believes in.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:44 AM   #7
P1090

Quote:
He needs to stand strong for what he believes in.
That's the nice thing about a logical argument. Even if you're out yelled, out emotioned, fired from your job, etc. You know you are still right. Once someone is convinced by logic and reason, it is infinitely harder to get them to change their minds back. An emotional appeal no longer works. Anyone attempting to change someone's mind will have to offer facts. That's the best part of the 2nd Amendment fight; once someone is convinced due to reasoning backed up with factual evidence, they stay convinced. They may not have the nerve to stand up and defend it to others, but they still will support it in a voting booth alone.

Emailed him and got a letter of thanks.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:09 AM   #8
win-lose

Just sent a very sincere thank you to Tom...
Old February 2, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Magnum Mike

I sent him a thank you!