The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

groups count... no doubt... but sometimes being able to shoot helps....

I still have not found a load I'm totally happy with for my 40-65 rolling block...

... but I finally just had to say it's good enough ( I had a buffalo hunt side match at the state CAS match to shoot ) I was only getting about 3" groups at 125 yards ( the maximum distance for this shoot )

targets were 1/5 scale steel cutouts of buffalo ( 10 of them ) scattered around a gravel pit pond we had to run 1/4 of the way up the hill, position on a couple chunks of carpet & shoot the 10 targets using a max of 12 cartridges

I was hoping to shoot prone from the crest of the hill, but we were on the downward slope on the other side of the hill, so I shot sitting, I didn't have any shooting sticks ( which were allowed ) unfortunately, I forgot to put in my ear plugs before I started, so I had to pause long enough to get them inserted... ( this was my 1st shoot of this kind, so I was just doing it for the expirience )

I shot 10 for 10... & looked over to the time sheet, & was like 15 seconds behind the winner... I was worried about my group size, but on a 1/5 scale buffalo, 3" at 125 yards is easily managable with some shooting skill & a little luck...

definately will have the group size down by this time next year... & will have to make sure my ear plugs are in before the clock stops
Old September 19, 2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

Yep done good.