The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
viper1216

WST Powder Smokey?

I loaded up some .45ACP rounds the other night and went to the indoor range. After firing a few rounds, I couldn't see a damn thing. Is this normal for this powder? I am shooting un-plated lead rounds. Could that make much of a difference? Is that lead I'm seeing.

Viper
Old January 25, 2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Mark whiz

WST is kind of a wierd powder. I can be a little smokier than others and it seems to leave a real "sweet" smell in the air as well.
But another problem with smoke is that it can be caused by the bullet itself. The lube used on the bullet can cause extra smoking and so can the lead - if you are pushing it too fast. Check your load against several manuals and make sure you aren't pushing them a little too hard. Another indicator can be if your bullets are leaving a lot of lead deposits in the bore after a day of shooting.
!
Old January 25, 2007, 02:20 PM   #3
viper1216

I'm using the starting load from the Lee manual so I don't think I'm puching them to far. I picked up some copper jacketed round. I'll see if I see any difference.
Old January 25, 2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Most of the smoke is from the bullet lube. Velocity doesn't matter much, it does not take a lot of fire to make wax smoulder.
Old January 25, 2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Thesenator

I started off reloading for my subguns in 9mm and .45acp several years ago using lubed lead bullets. I got tired of standing in a thick cloud of smoke after a thirty round mag dump real quick. After the first box of 500 of each caliber bullet I switched to FMJ and have never fired a lead bullet since. The guns are a lot cleaner also, no gummy wax lube buildup in the action or chamber and slots in the compensator of the Thompson stay clean rather than almost plugged with vaporized lead and lube deposits.

No more lead for me, jacketed bullets only.