The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 4, 2001, 02:08 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Who'd buy one of these?

It's not exactly original, but nobody's making one right now.

Lever Action Shotgun

-Solid top receiver, side ejection, feeds from the bottom, like a --standard pump or semi.

-5+1 Capacity, with +2, +3, and +4 magazine extensions available.

-Fine Walnut stock and rugged, good looking finish.

-Sling swivel studs included

-3" chamber, 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauge models. (I don't actually know the standard lengths of 16 or 28 gauge shells)

-10 Gauge version with 3.5" chamber and 4+1 capacity. (+1 and +2 10 gauge magazine extensions available.)

-Smooth lever action with tight lockup.

-Exposed hammer.

-Crossbolt hammer block saftey available on request.

-Well designed ventilated rubber recoil pad.

-About 8lbs weight (you want a little heft in a shotgun, otherwise it'll beat the snot out of you).

-Drilled & tapped for scope mounts.

Basic version would feature a 20" smoothbore, rifle sighted barrel with an improved cylinder choke.

-24", 26", 28", and 30" ventilated rib barrel versions with interchangable choke tubes available.

-22" fully rifled slug barrel available.

-18.5" cylinder bore barrel available

-"Terminator-Style" pistol-grip only stock available.

-Standard, square, or extra big "rifleman" lever loops available.

-Shortened LOP "Bantam" stocks available.

SO...

Who'd buy one of these? I suspect the price would be about the same as a good semiauto. It's not necessarily "better" or "worse" than a pump or semi, it's just something different. I happen to be a fan of variety.
Old July 4, 2001, 03:18 PM   #2
PJR

Two categories of people

Cowboy Shooters and Australians.

Cowboy shooters because there was a Winchester lever action shotgun that meets the criteria of SASS competition and this gun might also qualify under the rules.

Australians because pump action shotguns are banned but a lever action shotgun is legal.

Paul
Old July 4, 2001, 04:07 PM   #3
Nightcrawler

I don't know. I don't think the American gun buying public is as closed minded as that. You make a quality firearm, somebody will buy it.

Sure, there are those guys that have had the same few guns for 50 years and wouldn't try anything new, period, and their minds are made up, and that's their perrogative, I suppose. (even though a lever shotgun is hardly a new idea)

Then there are the folks who see something new and want it. These people wouldn't say, "Ah! A lever shotgun! Now I'm going to sell my 870 and replace it with this!". These people say "Hey, cool, and I can even share ammo with my 870!"
Old July 4, 2001, 08:05 PM   #4
Rottweiler

I'm one of those people Nightcrawler is talkin about.....When does it go into production?
Old July 5, 2001, 06:07 AM   #5
Deadman

" and Australians. "

Hehe, sad but true.
Actually pump action shotguns aren't illegal here, but in order to have one you must be a primary producer/farmer or have some other occupation where a pump action shotgun is necessary. In other words 1% of the population.....