The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 3, 2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Deerhunter

How many of you are from VA?

Who all here hunts in VA?

Opening day of archery season tomorrow. Going to be a little rain up in the Northern part, but clearing after 0600.

Good luck to everyone headed out.
Old October 3, 2014, 03:37 PM   #2
scottycoyote

im in southwestern va
Old October 4, 2014, 09:40 PM   #3
redrick

Good luck to all you bow hunters .

My season starts in Nov. with a muzzlerloader and I can't wait .
Old October 6, 2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Deerhunter

I only got out for a few hours Saturday morning. Had to get ready for my one daughter's birthday party. Rained all night Friday. Thought it would be good Saturday morning since they were calling for it to clear by 6. I was in the blind by 6, no rain. Then we got about 5 minutes of rain and then it really cleared up. Didn't see a deer. Had to be out of the blind at 9 though.
Old October 13, 2014, 03:52 PM   #5
e-bear

Successful so far

I hunted opening day, Oct 1st, in VaBeach. (I call it work the bugs out day.) Next day I shot a nice fat doe in the morning. Then the following Monday I harvested 2 nice does at the same place. They are feeding on soybeans and are right healthy. I hope to hunt other areas of Virginia throughout the season.
Good luck to all-a-yoos.
e-
Old October 13, 2014, 07:21 PM   #6
LOUD

Im from south central Virginia, been out a couple of times with the crossbow but haven't found any shooters. But I have seen some mighty big tracks.............LOUD
Old October 14, 2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Deerhunter

I was out yesterday evening. Got in the stand just before 3.

Had 3 doe come down from a neighboring property. They crossed the creek and hung up in some bushes before coming out for a shot. Bad spot for them to come across as I have to stand up and do almost a 180 to shoot. Tough to see them with so many leaves on the trees.

Saw to spikes and later saw a doe with a yearling. No shots, but it was nice being out and seeing deer.

Temperatures were up higher then I would like 65 when I got back to the truck. Humidity in the creek bottom was bad too. Then the fog rolled in about 6:15-6:30 and pretty much killed the last bit of time
Old October 15, 2014, 01:54 PM   #8
e-bear

!!!! Bonus tags !!!!

I shot a nice doe yesterday evening at my favorite hunt property. Being I have already shot three does this season I ran and bought some bonus tags so I could check her in. I have never had the need for them before and I am elated. Last season I failed to harvest any deer at all so I feel pretty good about this seasons start.
Good luck to yoosguys.
Old October 29, 2014, 09:17 PM   #9
SARuger

Roanoke VA here! I hunt during rifle season with either my 20ga Wingmaster slug gun(rifled and cantilever scoped) or my Super Black Hawk .44 mag(10" barrel).

I have a 100 acre track in Ferrum and I have hunting rights on a 54 acre track in Roanoke County.

I'm hunting for meat this year the freezer is empty.

Good luck everyone!
Old October 29, 2014, 09:19 PM   #10
tahunua001

no longer located there, I was stationed in hampton roads for 3 1/2 years, minus a deployment.
Old November 2, 2014, 11:43 AM   #11
e-bear

Odocoileus virginianus

I love hunting in Virginia for the odocoileus virginianus. They are beautiful to see in the woods and they are beautiful with a nice brown gravy.
Old November 3, 2014, 06:53 AM   #12
Deerhunter

This weekend was pretty wild. Friday evening I had a 6 pointer walk up as I was climbing in my stand. He didn't care about me being there. He walked up to about 20 yards away and then cut down the hill and walked past me at 25 yards. Saw a 4 pointe and a spike also

Saturday mornign I looked at my phone to check the time. It was just legal shooting light. Still to dark to see much. Had a deer behind me about 60 yards away that looked like a shadow. Then I saw a doe but she was too far away to shoot. Later saw a wide 4 pointer. Had a spike cruise by at 10 yards. At some point I had a fox come by at 15 yards. About 9:10 3 doe came from behind me walking a trail that was down a hill from my stand. They were 15 yards from the bottom of the tree, but about 30 feet below me. 3rd one was the biggest and she got an arrow. She only went about 30 yards. Later I had another spike cruise by. It sure was a fun morning in the woods.
Old November 20, 2014, 02:57 PM   #13
Drhc116

Lets keep this thread alive.

Hampton Roads area here. I've been a handful of times this year but still waiting on "shooter" to come into range. Seen him a few times but either a little too late and sketchy or way too far for me to be comfortable. Thankfully i have a lot of land to hunt so have been hunting since september and we also have an early swamp season that the rest of the state does not. Will be hunting hard from here on out and intend to do well but we all know how that goes. Good luck everyone. Be safe and enjoy your time in the woods.
Old November 21, 2014, 07:33 AM   #14
Ibmikey

I am a Life member of the VFW and have VA benefits does that count? :-)
sorry the devil made me do it.
Old November 21, 2014, 09:49 AM   #15
mxsailor803

Hampton Roads area here. I haven't been able to do any hunting this season with my work schedule. Thats why I'm taking 2 weeks for christmas and heading to SC and see if I can get one back home.
Old December 8, 2014, 06:48 PM   #16
SARuger

I didn't get to hunt at all this year. I tore the subscapularis muscle in my left shoulder 3 days before rifle season. I'm just now able to steady a rifle again but the season has passed. Oh well, next year! I'm gonna miss having that deer meat in the freezer this winter
Old December 9, 2014, 07:37 AM   #17
Deerhunter

Man that sucks sorry to hear that. Hope it heals up fast. Season is over already in Roanoke? Man that is rough
Old January 14, 2015, 11:06 AM   #18
Deerhunter

SARuger

Is there a late urban archery season near you? Could always get a crossbow and shoot you a doe