The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 26, 2011, 12:17 PM   #26
federali

Oops

In my previous post in this thread, I left out something important. A left handed shooter transfers the revolver to his right hand to open the cylinder and clear the brass. The gun is then returned to the left hand and loaded exactly as a right handed shooter would load it. If using speed strips, load two at a time in the chambers furthest away from the frame.
Old September 26, 2011, 02:30 PM   #27
ProShooter

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

There's probably nothing wrong with your technique or your speed strips. The problem is your brain - you are trying to load a revolver using a semi-automatic brain.

When we grow up in the semi-auto world, how are we taught to load our magazines? To the fullest capacity, right?

Think about your revolver. You have a 1 five-shot gun, right?

WRONG! You have 5, one-shot guns. How many rounds do you need to stop the bad guy? HINT - The answer is 1.

If you are in a SHTF situation and you use all 5 rounds currently loaded in the gun, why would you want to waste precious time trying to jam another 5 in there? Get one round in, quickly, efficiently, and effectively. Close that cylinder, and keep pulling that trigger until she goes boom, and make that one shot count. Rinse, and repeat.

You may also benefit from some private training. I offer private lessons here in Richmond and could show you a proper grip for reloading scenarios.
www.ProactiveShooters.com
Old October 2, 2011, 02:59 PM   #28
msb45

Looking at the pictures I think the problem is that you are reaching around the frame of the revolver to hold the cylinder. Instead wrap you fingers around the bottom of the frame "through" the window opened by the cylinder swinging out.

You can get your index finger and thumb to pinch and steady the cylinder. Along with the 2-2-1 method this will help. Google Mas Ayoob and the Stress Fire system to see pictures. I recommend the book.
virtue, and enjoy more happiness, than a thousand slaves."

- Samuel Adams - 1774
Old October 2, 2011, 04:04 PM   #29
Shadi Khalil

msb,

I'll check that out, I'm a big fan of ayoobs articles but have not read one of his books yet.