The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1
imarkay

Starline .45 and .45+P brass comparison

I am in the process of setting up my new LnL AP press. I will be loading for my new Springfield Loaded Target 1911 .45acp. I was on the Starline Brass website looking for new .45 brass and noticed they offer the .45acp in 2 variations....the original .45 and a +P variation.

The site says "The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto."

I think it runs an extra 10 bucks per 500 for the stronger case. Would I be making any mistake buying the +P brass...? I plan to load a conventional .45 round like 230gr ball at 850fps or so. If the brass is stronger maybe it would last longer? Or am I being a Tim Allen about this, stronger, thicker must be better?
Old January 1, 2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

The 1911's leave an unsupported back underside edge of the cases. Even commercial hardball can get pregnant (bulge on one side) in them, so the +P brass is not a bad idea in them for case life. If the gun (I haven't looked it up) has an integral ramp barrel, though, which supports the case pretty completely, then I wouldn't spend the extra money.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 1, 2011, 06:13 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

Not worth the expense for your intended purpose.
Old January 1, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
That'll Do

I'd purchase the standard (non +P) version, based on the loads you intend to work up and use.
Old January 16, 2011, 10:42 PM   #5
jake556

whichever is cheaper, you can find once fired for $55 per 1000 IMHO this is where I would get my brass. No more new brass for me
Old January 16, 2011, 10:47 PM   #6
goodspeed(TPF)

Don't waste your money.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 17, 2011, 12:18 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Another reason not to buy the +P cases if you're not actually going to be loading +P rounds is because the internal capacity being less than a standard case, the pressure from published loads will be higher, all other things being equal. That means none of your .45 ACP load manuals will be correct. They may not be off by much, but the hassle and uncertainty isn't worth it.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:16 AM   #8
Clark

I called Starline about the 45acp +P brass and talked to the man.

He says +P brass is for hot loads in pistols with poor case support.

He says the 45 Super brass is for even hotter loads for pistols with good case support. He says it has some better heat treat.

He says that the 460 Rowland brass is the same as the 45 Super brass, but longer.

My experiments show that all brands of 45acp brass [including Starline 45 Super] fails at the same point in a work up, except Starline +P, which has thicker walls, and thus less case capacity.

Joe D'Alessandro at realguns has different conclusions than me, and he usually knows what he is talking about.

So either we got different batches to cross section or one of us made a mistake.

I built this 45acp 11 years ago on a 1903 Turk Mauser, and it has served me will for high performance testing and shooting groups at 100 yards.
Old January 17, 2011, 06:33 PM   #9
CherokeeT

For 1911 use, standard 45 ACP brass is what you want.
Old January 18, 2011, 11:59 AM   #10
overkill0084

^^^ what he said. If you were shooting hot loads out of a pistol that that doesn't support the brass, then maybe. Spend the extra money on something else.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 18, 2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Poodleshooter

This is why they make thicker web .45 brass:

(This is about 100+ rounds of an under maximum load of either Clays,Titegroup or Bullseye under a 230gr LRN in a Glock 30 that I no longer own).
Old January 18, 2011, 06:06 PM   #12
RickB

I'm currently running Clays at .3 over max recommended load, and have never seen any evidence of bulging in any of my guns or with any of my mixed commercial and G.I. brass. There's something very wrong with the gun that fired the rounds that produced the pictured cases.
Old January 18, 2011, 09:48 PM   #13
chiefr

I would like to add that I am very impressed with Starline brass of all calibers. This stuff will take a lot of abuse. You have made a great choice. I consider Starline a superior product.
Old January 19, 2011, 05:08 AM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

While the Starline does sound good. I use range brass. I have a 5 gal. bucket full of sized, and belled cases to reload .45 ACP with. If I had to buy brass I would probably buy the cheapest stuff I could find. I loose it long before it splits.