The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 26, 2008, 06:08 PM   #1
kyle663

Llama max 1 parts interchange

I have a Llama Max1 1911 clone, i have heard some parts will interchange , but, the slides and barrels wont. any info would be helpfull.
Old May 26, 2008, 07:46 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have looked at a couple of those guns, but never examined the parts closely enough to see what might interchange with the "standard" 1911. But looking at the Llamas with all their hand filing, I would be surprised if parts from another gun of the same make and model would interchange without fitting.

Jim
Old May 27, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
10-96

Wish I still had mine. I screwed up and listened to 'friends' who said it was junk, no re-sale, etc. So I traded it towards a Springfield Champion. Dang thing spent more time in a shop than it did on the range. Firearms should be ready to shoot right out of the box! Traded that towards a Brolin Arms- ran every bit as well as the Llama. Listened to 'friends' again and traded it towards a Para Ord, P-Whatever, basic, no frills. Went back to shop 3 times- another one that was not ready to shoot right out of the box. Told friends to p!ss off and bought a well used Sig 220. Still looking for a 1911 in my price range that won't p!ss me off and will shoot as well and often as my Llama and Brolin.

No, not many of the parts will interchange. If I remember, it stopped at the firing pin, extractor, springs, grips and grip screws, and magazines.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 27, 2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Out of the box

Sir;
Very, VERY, few guns of any kind are ready to shoot, "out of the box."

Charlie Shaner, master gunsmith called me one day and said, "Get your butt over here quick."
I did, and he handed me a new (out of the box) Winchester Mod 70 in 243 cal with all the proof-marks and NO CHAMBER!
Harry B.
Old May 27, 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
kyle663

Thanks all

My llama shoots and feeds just fine, the parts i am wondering about are a beavertail grip safety, spring kits and some wrap around finger groove grips( grips i know are the biggest problem finding) and mayby a better trigger.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:02 PM   #6
guncrank

No the parts will not interchange. Colt parts will work but not without a lot of "fitting". I know I tried and it was a big hassle, not worth the time or money for me or my customer.
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old May 28, 2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Rex B

most will fit

I have a LNIB Max-1 made in 2005. It appears unfired, and I haven't had desire to do so. I have tried a Ciener slide on it, and it worked fine. I see no reason that a 1911 slide would not work if you pull the firing pin block rod first. If you don't the slide gets jammed on there and will have you scratching your head and cursing (don't ask). Hint: release the grip safety.
Barrels are essentially the same, but probably took more hand-fitting. I'd be surprised if an open-minded gunsmith could not fit a barrel. I know the bushings will fit.

I also have a MiniMax 45 made in 2003. Save for barrel and slide length, and recoil guide/spring/ etc it's the same gun as the Max-1. I bought it non-working as a project, so I have swapped out a lot of parts. Here's the short version:

1 - grips are unique. the holes are further apart. Pachmayer used to make a wrap-around finger groove gripset, but it's long discontinued. If you find one, buy it!
2 - Plunger tube is attached by screws rather than staked. plungers & Spring are 1911 parts.
3 - Has a firing pin block that probably is different from that on a series 80 Colt, I don't know. It works fine, or it's easy to disable.
4 - Extractor is external, but then so are kimbers and a few others that are considered 1911s
5 - Mag release is slightly smaller on the left side on mine, easily enlarged to fit. The internal spring and catch work fine. I changed mine.
5 - Mainspring housing retention pin (lower rear of grip frame) is threaded , as is the MSH. You can make a Colt MSH work easily if you want to.

Everything else should work fine, with no more fitting than a Colt might require. For example, I've just changed out the MiniMax with parts from my spares box:
- Wilson sear
- RIA hammer
- Wilson 3-hole trigger (required fitting, blade thickness was oversize)
- generic pin kit.
- Generic thumb safety.
- Generic slide stop.
Works great, trigger pull is better.

I'll be trying a Wilson drop-in beavertail soon, if they make it in officer's size. I expect it will work fine. The non-drop-in variety require radiusing, so should work fine if you are going to have to do that anyway.

So go for it.