The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 2006, 12:39 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Chomp at the bit much?

Next Sun, week from today, deer archery season opens. I'm looking up the 7-day forecast, hoping the predicted wind direction for that day will be accurate, and thus trying to decide which stand to get in first. Frustrated because the 7-day right at this moment only runs through next Saturday. As if the weathermen ever get it right that far out anyhow. Washing all clothes in scent-free detergent today.

Anyone else engaging in similar activities in anticipation?
Old September 24, 2006, 01:04 PM   #2
nico

Compared to the 3 previous years I've been going out in the field (haven't actually hunted because I haven't been able to get into a hunter's safety course til this year), I'm much more excited about this deer season. I'll be going out with my muzzle loader on October 21 and my rifle the Saturday after thanksgiving and can't wait. The worst part is that school has kept me from being able to get out to the range to sight in the guns.
Old September 24, 2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

Chomp Chomp Chomp Chomp Chomp- I'm like you are FF, I'm wetting down one leg and wiping it down the other.

Mrs.WBB , says I'm like a kid, waiting to go to grandmas house.
Old September 24, 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Yep, this, and sometimes gurls, makes us feel like kids again. Ahhh, grandma's house - good analogy - g'ma did treat us right, din't she?

Practicing the bow later today some more. Plan to sight in the ML prior to this weekend. I don't want to have to sight in at a time when I *could be* hunting (with bow) instead of being at the range. If I'm at the range, then by definition I have free time - so why am I not in the woods?!

Hunting....Hockey....Oct 1 through the spring, makes life worth living. That and good food and good ummm, 'relations' with women. And the fam, of course.

And thank goodness for the recent rains, eh WBB? Here ya go....

http://www.newsok.com/weather/7day
Old September 24, 2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

Thanks FF,
Finally got my bow back yesterday. Been nursing a busted lip for 2 weeks, when the string broke and it swarmed on me. Looks like might get some good weather for first week. I took off work the first week, so maybe I'll get lucky. ( been practicing this morning, trying not to flinch, everytime I pull the bow back.)
Old September 25, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6
NRA4life

I know when hunting season is getting close when I start to crave tomato juice in my beer. The old timers at my dad's deer camp used to drink the combo and it always reminds me of deer season. I REALLY need to go out and kill something. Season's still 3 weeks out though. Dang.
Old September 25, 2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Scorch

I know what you mean. Out running around this morning and I started thinking about hunting season when I noticed wood smoke in the air, a definite sign of hunting seasons back when tents and sleeping bags were required (before the newly-hatched motor homes were adventurous to venture that far off the asphalt). Not only am I getting antsy, apparently I am also getting nostalgic.
Old September 25, 2006, 01:46 PM   #8
springmom

I have to wait another month

....because I can't pull a bow to 40 lb However, the hubster is ready. And I have been doing my part by going out scouting during the week when he's slaving away downtown, and we went out yesterday for me to point out all the cool treestand spot I'd found So hopefully by this time next week we'll have a deer at the processors and need to make more room in the freezer...!

Springmom, looking forward to VENISON

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 25, 2006, 01:58 PM   #9
NRA4life

SpringMom,

That's funny because every year right about now, I open the freezer and think "OMIGOD, hunting season's 3 weeks away and we got no room". The pressure canner and the dehydrator (jerky making) are going to be going full time for the next couple weeks.
Old September 25, 2006, 02:19 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Springmom, you rock! It's a rare man that has a good enough woman to scout for him while he's working! Why can't you pull a bow back - is it a simple strength thing, or a disability/health issue of some kind? If you were interested, you could get a doctor to issue a note saying that you were unable to, and thus you could use a crossbow - I believe TX works just like OK in that respect. Some crossbows have a crank you can use to cock them.

NRA4, same here - last night I took 2 deer quarters out of the freezer, and into the fridge, to defrost, and make deerburger from, to make room in case I am successful in bow season. GOT to buy another freezer....
Old September 25, 2006, 02:47 PM   #11
springmom

thanks

I don't actually know the answer. I have fibromyalgia, which creates spasms and pain...but I don't know that anything has been published regarding strength limitations as a result of it. I'm working out three times a week now, hoping that by next year I might be up to it. For now, years of battling arthritis and fibro have taken a toll strength wise, for sure. We shall see if strength training works over time.

If I get there, I'll use one of those releases that allow you to pull back the bow without using your fingers on the string, so my arthritis doesn't muck it up too.

Thanks for the kind words. Archerandshooter was pretty excited. I found a spot that looks like Deer Superhighway in a little out of the way spot. All he has to do is decide which tree to hang the stand on.

Meanwhile for me...one month, nine days to go.....

Springmom

home on the web:

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 25, 2006, 02:58 PM   #12
NRA4life

FF,

We're living parallel lives right now. Just ground up about 25 lbs of burger a few weeks ago. Trouble for me is that I had a REALLY good season last year and I'm hunting 3 states this year again. 2 of them are serious meat hunts also. I've been trying to upgrade my freezer to a larger one, but it doesn't seem like any manufacturers make those really big chest freezers anymore, or at least they don't sell them at Home Depot or Lowes.
Old September 25, 2006, 03:03 PM   #13
springmom

If you really run out of room....

...don't forget that most states have some sort of "hunters for the hungry" program and you can donate extra meat to feed poor folks. If you don't really need it it's a nice thing to do.

Springmom

home on the web:

Old September 25, 2006, 03:13 PM   #14
NRA4life

Don't those places require that the meat has to have been commercially processed? Thought I read that a few years back. We butcher and process everything on our own.

Just did a simple search :

Meat from game animals may be donated to a charitable organization if approved by the local health agency and if donated by a law enforcement officer or a person with a valid hunting license issued by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. A meat cutter approved by the local health agency must process the game meat. The meat needs to be labeled: “UNINSPECTED WILD GAME MEAT, THOROUGHLY COOK TO 165º F INTERNAL TEMPERATURE.”

So it looks like I cannot donate to these places.
Old September 25, 2006, 03:47 PM   #15
springmom

I think that's required here too. The processors here in Texas don't charge full price for the processing, though.

Ah well, you can always make your friends and family happy with gifts to them!

Springmom

home on the web:

Old September 25, 2006, 04:13 PM   #16
NRA4life

I've been told I make some of the best venison jerky in the history of the world. I usually turn about a half-a-deer's worth into jerky before the season starts. Good munchies for the day pack. Until a certain one of my elk hunting partners finds the bag. I have personally witnessed an entire gallon sized ziplock bag disappear in a matter of a couple hours sitting around the fire.
Old September 25, 2006, 04:29 PM   #17
Ian2005

I think I spontaneously drooled on my keyboard when I read SpringMom's
"Deer SuperHighway"
Old September 25, 2006, 04:48 PM   #18
castnblast

I'm going nuts. I work for a financial institution, and I'm sure I'm going to get busted this week for all the hunting sites I've been surfing. I had a shoulder injury that I thought was going to put me out this season for archery. I even traded my 300 win mag for a 22-250 because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle the recoil. BUT...I got the all clear from the Doc on Sept. to start LIGHT but take it easy. I followed his advice, and I'm up to 60lbs and going to crank in another 5 this evening. I got deer sign all around my treestand, hogs have taken up residence all over the place. Yes, I'm REALLY chomping at the bit. My work output this week is going to be really lousy. Heck, all I can think about hunting. I does not hurt that temps have fallen a good 20-25 degrees in the a.m. from a week ago. For you northern folks, that's down from 80F to 60. It will be in the upper 50's tomorrow a.m., and that's awsome. I think I may be coming down with a bad case of buck fever...Dang, my neck's swelling too...Yup, I got the bug...Archery season will be here Saturday!!! BTW, where do you hunt springmom? I'm in Refugio County, Between Refugio and Goliad TX.
Old September 25, 2006, 07:33 PM   #19
FirstFreedom

Where are you, castnblast?
Old September 25, 2006, 07:43 PM   #20
springmom

WE hunt the Sam Houston National Forest north of Houston.

Springmom

home on the web:

Old September 25, 2006, 08:03 PM   #21
ArcherAndShooter

I'm a rare lucky man...

Quote:
Springmom, you rock! It's a rare man that has a good enough woman to scout for him while he's working!
Anyone remember the old song: "she can bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan..." ? That's my lovely Springmom! SHE brings the bacon home with her Remington 700!!

She found an awesome spot for archery opener Saturday, too. About 1/4 mile off the dirt road some 5 miles off the blacktop, a grassy mini-clearing at the intersection of two trails, the whole thing lousy with tracks and droppings.

Only thing is, it is on public land, so I have to get there by 0430 Saturday morning so someone else doesn't get to it first. OTOH, I have Friday as a day off, so I will hang my stand before noon that day and hope other hunters recognize and honor the claim.

Hey, first one to score this weekend, start a thread will ya? WITH PIX!!

Oh, for a job that had 3 months' annual vacation.
Old September 25, 2006, 10:33 PM   #22
FirstFreedom

Lot o' sign, eh - nice! Roll your butt outta bed and bag that deer and report back.