The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 1, 2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Clayfish

Thermacell

How many of you guys use a thermacell? I got one 2 years ago and boy has it been a life saver. I haven't been bitten by a mosquito in the stand in 2 years! Some ma say deer will smell them but haven't been made yet, even by the forkhorn that walked 10 yards under my stand downwind. Anyway FWIW if you don't use a thermacell get yourself to wallyworld and pick up this $20 gem. It's worth it's weight in plutonium.
Old September 13, 2006, 08:13 PM   #2
whiskey

Don't go to the woods without mine.

If you ever hunt south Georgia or Florida you better have one or you will need a blood transfusion by the end of the day. Off sucks! Thermacell rules!
Old September 13, 2006, 08:34 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Hrmmmmm. Perhaps it could even COVER your scent - the deer smell it, but don't find it worrisome.... interesting. You sure you don't just work for the chain stores or thermacell?
Old September 14, 2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Clayfish

Quote:
interesting. You sure you don't just work for the chain stores or thermacell?
Nope, I don't work for thermacell or any store, I'm a minister. I just want to let you guys know what works.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:51 AM   #5
john in jax

Hunted a swampy area in N.E. Florida last year and saw and almost everyone I talked to with a deer hanging or in their truck bragged on the thermacell. I've already bought one and will be using it this year.

I, however, did get one warning from a guy who hunted out of a box stand that said that he'd get one heck of a headache if the wind wasn't blowing enough.
Old September 15, 2006, 11:12 PM   #6
whiskey

It's probably not a good idea to sniff too much of the smoke that the thermacell lets off. It has never given me a headache and I have used it in a fairly enclosed stand with walls and a roof.
Old September 16, 2006, 12:59 AM   #7
bacardisteve

If i ever get back in to bow hunting it sounds like i may have to pick one of these up. Most of my hunting is done in cold weather so bugs are of no concern. Hey maybe ill get one for those all night fishing trips i take
Old September 16, 2006, 04:37 PM   #8
oldbillthundercheif

Last night I went to a bonfire / cookout / concert and did not douse myself with DEET. I figured the smoke from the fire and grill would drive off the critters and I did not want to reek of repellant anyway. Today I am extremely bumpy and uncomfortable as a result. These Thermacell things sound great. I'll have to pick one up.
Old September 17, 2006, 07:45 AM   #9
GMAN

Has anyone noticed if they work an other insects or just mosquito's?

Last edited by GMAN; September 18, 2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old September 17, 2006, 08:27 AM   #10
willsjeep

Buy One

I actually won mine two years ago as a door prize. If I lost it in some way, I would DEFINATLY buy another shortly afterwards!
I live in SouthEast Ga and the early season would be murder without it. It worked on mosquitos, sandknats, noseeums, and any other type of biting insect I used to have problems with. (I wish they had them back when I was in bootcamp on Parris Island! )
In short, two thumbs waaaay up!
Will
Old September 17, 2006, 10:06 AM   #11
whiskey

it does not work in biting flies. I.e. Deer flies, dog flies, yellow flies, horse flies...
Old September 19, 2006, 07:13 AM   #12
GMAN

How do they work? Bat. Propane? Can you use them for 4 hours, turn them off and the restart and use for another 4 hours? I see they use them on alot of hunting shows and swear by them.TIA
Old September 19, 2006, 07:35 PM   #13
whiskey

They use a propane tank to warm a blue scent pad that puts off a little smoke, very little smoke. The fuel cells runs for about 12 hours. The pads last about 4 hours. With a refill you get 1 fuel and 3 scent pads to last you 12 hours. If you leave the pads out in the thermacell they tend to dry out and are not good for too long. I found that putting the whole thermacell in a ziplock bag when not in use keeps the pad from drying out.