The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 2, 2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Mikeyboy

Us Yankees need a lesson on how to to kill a gator

Weird news story about a 5 foot gator found in a lake in Montana. I kind of felt bad for the critter, since the locals tried to kill it with was a deer hunting bow and a knife. It is unclear why Law enforcement or animal control were involved so late with this, but I'm assuming a firearm used sooner would have put the gator down a lot quicker.

My question is if somehow a large gator shows up in my backyard, where exactly do you shoot it?

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articl...ews/news01.txt

Last edited by Mikeyboy; August 2, 2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old August 2, 2006, 09:52 AM   #2
davlandrum

I actually saw a video of bowfishing gators. Looked like quite the adventure. Can't recall the name of the video as it was several years ago.
Old August 2, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
shureshot0471

No crap right between the eyes that is the best place.
- Ted Nugent
Old August 2, 2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Clayfish

I laughed through the whole thing. Come down here and see just how big they get here. 5 feet is just a baby gator. The best I've seen is when my best friend dives in after a gator that was about the same sizeas that one and comes up holding it in it's middle. That was one mad gator! He was whipping my buddies back with his tail and trying to bite his head off with his mouth.
Old August 2, 2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Mannlicher

most of the guys and gals down here that hunt gators kill them with a bangstick. I have often used a single shot 20 ga with foster slugs. Most anything will do, even a .22 LR if you hit the right spot.
I find that a shot behind the eye lobe, angling toward the snout, or has been mentioned, right between the eyes, work for me. Heart shot works too.
I have probably killed more with a noose and blade though, than with a gun. No noise that way...............

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 2, 2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Scorch

How did a 5-foot 'gator get into a lake in Montana? And don't tell me it's global warming!
Old August 2, 2006, 06:18 PM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Thats a fine question. I would also like to know. Maby it was some ones pet and when it got too big they let it go in the lake. I have heard stories of this but never actualy seen it.
Old August 2, 2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Anthony Terry

Them gators are'nt that hard to kill boys. Just grab em around the throat and choke em out. The sleeper hold will take em out quick, then when they get woozy, stick a blade in em. Then throw em over your shoulder and take em on home!
Old August 3, 2006, 02:11 AM   #9
samsmix

Not in these here parts, pilgrim...

Actually it was North Dakota, not Montana. I've got family in FL who is a rural LEO. He says betwix the lookers also.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 3, 2006, 05:01 AM   #10
maas

i don't care how easy people think they are to kill, if i saw one of those things in my back yard it would have four 338 bullets in it. but then again how would i make boots out of it if its full of hole.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 3, 2006, 09:10 AM   #11
john in jax

Bigger is better

A 12ga or 20ga slug to the head gives you a pretty good margin of error. There was a story floating around a couple/few months ago where one of our FL LEO's whipped out a Mini-14 and put 4 rounds of .223 into a gator's head from +/-15feet . . . it made the gator REALLY mad.
Old August 3, 2006, 10:22 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Between the eys, if the angle isn't flat. Even .30-30s have been known to ricochet if the angle was wrong. My understanding is that after a head shot, a gator will float for a while. A body shot is not likely to be DRT, and they'll be hard to find after they're dead.

From reading; no first-hand knowledge...

Art
Old August 3, 2006, 10:38 AM   #13
dave0520

Don't they sun themselves with their mouths open? Aim for the big ol' pearly whites.
Old August 3, 2006, 11:59 AM   #14
Anthony Terry

I thought I'd make a joke above, no one got it so seriously, you want to shoot either haed on between the eyes or a broadside shot right behind the eye. Whether you use a shotgun or rifle, thats where you want to hit him. Just use something big enough to make a big hole. I seen a guy on TV kill one with a S&W 500.
Old August 8, 2006, 10:03 PM   #15
dan20703

On a broadside view you aim just behind the eye. Shot this 10'-1" one with a .22. Legally of course. Season is coming up soon (Sept)

gator email.JPG

"The gun is not the answer to all of your personal protection problems, but when you need a gun, you really need a gun."
Old August 9, 2006, 11:38 AM   #16
Dirty_Harry

17.5 foot Boa in Cicero, Indiana

Here in Indiana yesteray, there was a 17.5 foot boa found dead. Obviously the owner got tired of feeding him and just turned him loose. They think he got hit by a car I think.

All I know is if I saw that thing in my back yard.....he would be rather peppered by 00 Buckshot. The thing was plenty big enough to eat my dogs....and nothing messes with my dogs. Wish I could find a pic.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 9, 2006, 12:22 PM   #17
FirstFreedom

I was gonna ask, Montanans are yankees? But you said N.D. I can believe Dakotans are yankees, since S.D. did elect Daschle for those many years.
Old September 15, 2006, 07:19 PM   #18
Meatco1

Hello:

I curious, is Gator tail any good to eat?

Thanks,

Richard
Old September 15, 2006, 07:35 PM   #19
Trip20

I've had fried gator and it was yummy. Not sure if it was the tail though. Actually, I've got no idea what parts they used.
Old September 15, 2006, 08:15 PM   #20
CrustyFN

Between the eyes. My Dad told me that when he was young his Dad would hunt alegators for a living and he would go with him. My Dad grew up in Florida, Lots of gators there.
Old September 16, 2006, 08:12 PM   #21
katana8869

My Grandfather swore by shining them with a light and then bringing the boat up close and shooting them in the head with a 12 gauge. I've seen them shot effectively with lever guns in both 30-30 and .357.

My ex father-in-law shot one in the head from shore with a S&W Sigma in 9mm which worked just as well. This was done after the gator moved into a pond behind his neighbors house and ate the family's dashund. Placement counts more then caliber. This is as true for gators as it is for goblins
Old September 16, 2006, 08:51 PM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Gator tail: I've had it cut into small chunks, rolled in batter, and fried like chicken. A bit chewy, but good tasting.

Among other places, Al T's restaurant just off I-10 at Winnie, Texas, serves it.

Art
Old September 16, 2006, 08:56 PM   #23
22-rimfire

Any of you guys see that episode of Dangerous Game on OLN where the hunter shoots a Crock? Tough reptile!!! The guy was using something like a 375 too. Took him three shots and they had to "track" it down stream to finish it off.
Old September 16, 2006, 11:03 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Us Yankees need a lesson on how to to kill a gator...
Good news! It will be easier for you since you have lots of bait handy.
  • Ask a Yankee if he wants to go swimming with you. (Keep trying 'til one says yes.)
  • You and a bunch of friends take him to the place you last saw the 'gator.
  • Ask him to get in first and test the water.
  • When the 'gator appears, you and your friends open up on the 'gator.
  • You will need to take along more bait if you have more than one 'gator--it's unusual for the bait to be good for a second try.
Old September 17, 2006, 08:45 AM   #25
katana8869

That sounds about right. However after the outing, you might suggest an evening of snipe hunting and cow tippin' to make the "bait" feel better