The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 6, 2008, 09:39 PM   #1
msmforever69

What is the best .30-06 rifle out there in bolt action??

Hello all! I am getting a rifle for some target shooting, not hunting. I want a bolt action in .30-06 because I want to have the recoil to add to the fun of shooting. For sure I'm getting it in .30-06. I looked at remington, ruger, tika, and new model 70 that they just came out, but savage was recommended by many people. But there are so many of them! Which of these would you recommend?

114 Classic
http://www.savagearms.com/114Classic.htm

114 American Classic
http://www.savagearms.com/114AmerClassic...

114 Euro Classic
http://www.savagearms.com/114EuroClassic...

111BTH
http://www.savagearms.com/11model_BTHlongaction.htm

111G
http://www.savagearms.com/111g.htm

110GXP3
http://www.savagearms.com/110gxp3.htm

Which one would u get and why? Looks wise I like the first 3 just because of that black tip at the front of the stock. Any recommendations?

Also if there are other brands besides savage in the same price range, feel free to suggest those. I want a wood stock with checkering, long bolt action in 30-06, and internal magazine is preferred. The new winchester looks really good, and the video on the winchester website made it appealing but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 300ish dollars. Is it true that winchester model 70 is the best rifle in that price range?

Another thing I wanted to ask is how is the scope that comes in the package series with savage? I have a centerpoint scope 4-16 x 40 already, how does that one compare to it? Because the centerpoint is not that great. And is it sighted in already out of the box?

I asked about savage but like I said if you have general opinions about what the best bolt action rifle in .30-06 is do tell! I'm not talking about anything too fancy like Cooper. Just around 1000ish is upper limit, but the lower the better of course. Seems like savages are all around 600ish.

Fyi, this will be my first firearm, but I don't want a .22 rimfire, i already had several air rifles that were more powerful than .22s (.50 caliber dragon slayer, .22 superstreak, webley patriot, etc). I figured if I'm spending so much on air guns I might as well get a centerfire rifle. The rifle will not be used for hunting, and because of this a lot of people told me that a .30-06 is over doing it for my purposes, however I want a .30-06 for it's recoil, and of course to feel cool about having such a powerful rifle

Thanks for any input!!
Old April 6, 2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Strauss

I can't answer all your questions, but I can chime in on the scope wonders. The rifle will come with a Simmons 3-9x40, which should be a little better than the Centerpoint. I had that exact scope you have on a .17HMR rimfire, no way in hell I would trust that scope on a .30-06. However, it did work great on the little .17. I would also suggest that you replace the Simmons if you go that route, as well as the scope rings that come with. There have been a lot of reports of those set-ups losing their zero's, due to the scope and or rings. As for which rifle, all I can say is Savage followed by Accutrigger. If it has those two words in it's description, you will be all set
Old April 7, 2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Heavy barrel and quality trigger would be two of the more important parameters for your stated use.

Savage and Remington seem to be preferred by most folks who post here.

Scope? Up to what range do you expect to expect to do the majority of your target shooting? If only to 100 yards, magnification is not as important as if you're concentrating on, say, 300 or more. You could do well with a fixed 10X with fine crosshairs, for example, at 100.
Old April 7, 2008, 01:01 PM   #4
finz50

Don't know what your price range is, but I'd suggest looking into the Browning A-Bolts. Through a Leupold scope on it and you can kill anything in North America with it.
Old April 7, 2008, 01:04 PM   #5
223nut

Best bang for the buck in the Stevens 200.
Old April 7, 2008, 03:15 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
I figured if I'm spending so much on air guns I might as well get a centerfire rifle. The rifle will not be used for hunting, and because of this a lot of people told me that a .30-06 is over doing it for my purposes, however I want a .30-06 for it's recoil, and of course to feel cool about having such a powerful rifle
If you want recoil as well as power I know where there is a .375 Rem Ultra Mag for sale. It blows away the little old .30-06 every day of the week.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:55 PM   #7
predator86

why not get a remington 700 ADL at walmart for 300 bucks?? that leaves you some extra money for a quality Leupold scope and rings with some left over for a few hundred rounds.....might want to get a .22 anyways for practice, shooting a .22 at 100 yards will hone your skills so you can make that 500 yard shot with the '06....besides, after you pay for a few boxes of ammo your gonna wish that you had something cheaper to shoot.....
Old April 8, 2008, 01:25 AM   #8
HOGGHEAD

30-06

IMO your cartridge choice is outstanding. The 30-06 is one great round. I have over a dozen of them. I wish I had another dozen of them.

Personally I like the military 30-06's like the 03A3, and the Garand. The 03A3 would make a great rifle for target practice. Though I will admit I would not put a scope on one of them.

If I was buying another modern bolt action 30-06, I would look real hard at the Remington CDL. This is a very good rifle. And it is affordable. I am not saying it will outshoot the Savage, but it will shoot with the Savage. I also think it is a much better looking rifle. The New Ruger Hawkeye is also a good looking, fast handling rifle.

I am not knocking Savage rifles, I have several of them. And yes they are great shooting rifles, and normally for a cheaper price. But I will admit I like the Remington's better, in the price range you are speaking of.

Go buy a 30-06. You can still find some good Lake City ammo for a decent price. Find some LC and shoot the devil out of it.

For the people who say the 30-06 is not a good long distance round. just tell them to go to Camp Perry and tell them to try and shoot with the "old timer's" in Camp Perry. Be careful cause those guy's will kick your ***. Tom.
Old April 8, 2008, 04:56 AM   #9
tuck2

For target shooting take a look at the Mdl 12 F Class 6.5X284 Norma or the Mdl 12 Long Range Precision Varmint Repeater 6 Norma BR .. The 6.5X284 and 6 MM Norma Bench Rest rounds are far better rounds for target shooting than the old 30-06...
Old April 8, 2008, 08:51 AM   #10
ryalred

To answer your question, I'd choose the Model 114 Classic if money wasn't a problem. If funds were a little tight, I'd take the Model 111G. I, personally, would not go with the package gun, because I don't think you'll get a very good scope that way. With the recoil of the 30-06 you need a good, solid scope. You could take the Model 111G and use what you save towards a decent scope.

I happen to like Savages, but as 223nut says, "Best bang for the buck is the Stevens 200" Stevens is made by Savage. I owned one in a .223 and loved it. Someone offered me more than I paid for it and sold it and haven't bought another one yet.
Old April 8, 2008, 10:25 AM   #11
Horseman

Do you want to know the best 30-06 bolt action or do you want to know about Savages? Nothing against Savage rifles, they are great shooters, but the best rifles they aint. Look at Kimber, Browning, Sako, and a host of others first. Sometimes people put all the value of rifles in the accuracy. While this is the most important thing, we must remember that nearly all modern rifles are capable of excellent accuracy. Yes the Savages shoot well, but so do other brands who are superior to Savages in almost every other way you can compare rifles. Savages are popular because they shoot well and they are relatively inexpensive IMO. If that's all you want then they might be right for you. But if you truely want the best as your thread title would suggest, look elsewhere.
Old April 8, 2008, 12:40 PM   #12
TPAW

Quote:
What is the best .30-06 rifle out there in bolt action??
It's the one that feels good in your hands, conforms to your shoulder when you take aim, line of sight is where you want it when you shoulder it, and eats the proper ammo it likes for accuracy, and hits where you want it to. Price or fancy names has nothing to do with.
Old April 9, 2008, 07:40 AM   #13
Horseman

I agree with TPAW. Price and names have nothing to do with it......if all you care about is group size and the way the gun fits you. If you value other things like; hand checkering, oil rubbed wood finishes, crisp glass rod triggers, 1" pachmayer decelerator recoil pads, smoothness of actions, etc. etc. than maybe you would be happier with other brands. If these things are meaningless to you and the Savage fits well then go for it.

Gun buyers are not snobs to appreciate fine things. In fact the gun industry survives on trying to make us believe there is something better than what we currently own. All too often I see a rifles worth boiled down to group size with little regard to other features.
Old April 9, 2008, 08:58 AM   #14
The Lovemaster

Congrats on your choice of 30-06. There's plentiful ammo everywhere. If you really get into it, you'll eventually start reloading for accuracy and to make cheaper ammo. Then you'll notice you can find brass everywhere.

My preference is the Remington 700BDL, I think it has a great receiver and action.

Also keep in mind that the scope you put on your rifle is almost more important than the rifle itself, except maybe the barrel. The optics are critical to accurate shooting. I'd recommend a Leupold but wouldn't go any lower in their line than the VX-II. Based on what I've read and my experience with a cheap lower end Bushnell, I'd also recommend a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 scope, you'll get potentially more value for your money.

Welcome to this great world of rifle shooting, and enjoy!

Scott
Old April 9, 2008, 09:43 AM   #15
UniversalFrost

personally, I just picked up a weatherby vanguard sub-moa in 30/06 (the black/tan model).

It has to be the best shooting factory rifle I have bought! This gun just plain outshoots all the other guns in the same price range and it handles like a dream. The action is super smooth, trigger is awsome, and the stock fits me perfectly!

I am a remington fan and own several 700's in 30/06 and I like my Browning A-Bolt SS in 06', but the weatherby beats them all. I wish I had discovered the weatherby vanguard sooner , but i am making up for time because my next purchase of a rifle will be another vanguard (thinking either the varminter in 308 or 22-250 or a plain vanguard in 308 to use as a project gun).

Also. if money is an issue I would look at the stevens and mossberg rifles.

I have a 200 in 06' that is a good truck gun and i was looking at the mossberg 100ATR (wally world had them for around 299 to make way for their new models).

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 9, 2008, 09:52 AM   #16
10-96

I know it wasn't on your list- but have you tossed around the idea of something like a 1903 or a 1903A3? Those are a hoot, they have historical significance, you can enter local Springfield matches if there are any in your area. Also, if you get the 1903- they have a definite challenge as far as the learning curve to figure out that crazy rear sight adjustment. I love the heck out of mine- and that steel buttplate will provide you all the recoil and thump one could expect from a .30-06.

Just offering a thought there, ya'll don't beat me up too bad for offering that- it's just as easy to ignor it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 9, 2008, 11:42 AM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:
Just offering a thought there, ya'll don't beat me up too bad for offering that- it's just as easy to ignor it.
Actually I like your suggestion, while a orginal 1903/A3 might be a little out of the price range of the OP, a sporterized one will usually sell for $300-600 and somtimes much cheaper. I have to 03 sporter rifles but they are not in .30-06 anymore. Other rifles to consider are 1917 Eddystone rifles as they are usually a little cheaper than the 1903's. Look for JC Higgisn model 50's as well built for Sears, but have very good Mauser 98 actions FN and Husquarvana. These rifle are usually very good shooters and don't cost a fortune used.