The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2006, 12:46 AM   #26
prater

I agree with you there, I prefer to have a sidearm while hunting as well. I carry my S.A. 1911 Mil Spec on my right hip while in the bush, I've never had the need to use it, but for close range I feel more comfortable with it than my 30.06. I usually shoulder my rifle while walking into and out of my hide/stand and keep my pistol accessable until I get into position at which time I switch to my rifle. I think the .45 ACP has plenty of stopping power for most problems you might encounter, if your in big bear country a 44. Mag or higher might be desired, but for your average coyote, snake, or wild boar or bad guy a .45 is plenty of gun and perfectly legal (at least in Texas).
Old September 25, 2006, 03:08 AM   #27
moose fat

Carry a pistol, you can hunt with it too.

I live in Alaska, a small Yupik Eskimo village and its Moose Season for seven more days. My wife,sister in-law and I went out for a boat ride late this afternoon, moose hunting.
We were putting up this slough and came around a bend and finally surprised a Bull, not a cow or a cow and a calf like we've been doing. None of us got off a shot before he ghosts back into the willows and alder bushes. Here alders are bushes, not trees.

I park the boat and start off after him, sometimes they fade back into the brush for ten or twenty yards. I got into alders and willow and find his trail and beds, he's been hanging around there for a few days. I'm carrying my 1917 Enfield/Winchester and its almost four feet long, I felt very reassured that I also had my S&W MG .44mag on my hip. The willows and alders would have prevented me from swinging around with my rifle not so with with my pistol.

Luckily it has been extremely mild weather wise and the bulls are going their separate ways, two weeks ago they were still hanging out together. The cows are showing up and the bulls right behind, just the very begining of the rut. No Mad Moose out looking to stomp on you.

No moose yet, maybe I'll be lucky tomorrow.

Last edited by moose fat; September 25, 2006 at 03:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 25, 2006, 08:29 AM   #28
SCcdp

I carry a 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk in 41 mag when I deer hunt here in South Carolina. We are overrun with hogs in the areas that I hunt and it sure is fun to stalk a hog and kill it with a pistol over a rifle when the deer aren't moving to well.

Matt