The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 9, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
CharlieDeltaJuliet

HK MR556... Anyone have extensive knowledge of these..

To make a long story short due to chronically worsening back problems I am thinking of parting ways with my 50 BMG. I have been thinking of the HK MR556 as a replacement for smiles.. I just cannot lug a 34 pound rifle around much anymore.

If anyone has any substantial trigger time with the HK, please let me know what your opinions of the rifle are. I have put less than 100 rounds through one, but liked it just fine. I own a few AR's and this one would just be another to add to the collection. I just want something different than the norm. I love HK as a company, and really like the general look and feel of the rifle. I just want opinions of the community, I would like any pros or cons anyone has run into with these...

Thanks
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 9, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

I have only put about 200 rounds through one, but to me it was nothing really special. I too like HK as a company, but for the price of the MR556 I would pass.

If you want a piston driven AR, you can find them for close to half of that price.

Pros:
  • It's made by HK
  • It is not something that many people have
  • It is accurate
  • It is piston operated

Cons:
  • It is pricey...
  • Doesn't really do anything that "cheaper" ARs don't

Have you put thought into getting a suppressor for the ARs that you already have?
Old December 9, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have tossed the suppressor idea around. I love the short piston setup, but haven't had a great deal of experience with them. To be honest, the reason I want the HK is kind of vein. I want another top tier AR, and this one is just so dang sexy...lol. I know that one of the benefits is the way the piston system works when in fine sand and dust. To be honest it would probably never see it. I might use it for local three guns stuff while I am able. I hate to part with my fifty, but want to fill the void with something different than what most others have. I have even looked into a Knights Armament.

I know they are pricey, but mainly it would be an occasional shooter and an addition to a collection. Thanks though Allaround, this is exactly the type of opinions I want.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 9, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Quote:
To be honest, the reason I want the HK is kind of vein. I want another top tier AR, and this one is just so dang sexy...lol. I know that one of the benefits is the way the piston system works when in fine sand and dust. To be honest it would probably never see it. I might use it for local three guns stuff while I am able. I hate to part with my fifty, but want to fill the void with something different than what most others have. I have even looked into a Knights Armament.
And I don't want to sound like it is a dumb idea to get it, because it most definitely isn't! We all have that itch for a certain gun from time to time, and this is most definitely a fine gun and worthy of any collection.

It sure would turn some heads, and if it is a gun that you really want, then you probably would not be too excited over settling for something else.

If you do get one....please post pictures

If you get something else.....please post pictures

Good luck with this decision.....If I had more money I might try to work with you to get that .50
Old December 9, 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I didn't take it that way at all, allaroundhunter. I really do appriciate the input, it has me thinking more and more about cans for an AR. If I do part with the fifty, whatever I get has some pretty big shoes to fill for the fun aspect. To be honest, I just want something that is reliable, nice, and makes me smile to shoot it and proud to own it.

I might even look at the HK MR762.. It is quickly making its way to my firearm bucket list..lol
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #6
tahunua001

it's an overpriced, over hyped, piston driven AR15. a stag arms, Adams arms or just about any other piston AR could do everything that the MR556 can do for almost a third of the price. I have little respect for heckler and koch. true they are good guns but the prices that they ask are way beyond their worth IMHO.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:46 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I might even look at the HK MR762.. It is quickly making its way to my firearm bucket list..lol
How far do you shoot the fifty at?

The reason I ask is because I am wondering if you have another firearm that you can take out to a distance? Or if you have fun doing that?
Old December 9, 2012, 08:53 PM   #8
FALPhil

Quote:
allaroundhunter wrote:
Pros:

It's made by HK
It is not something that many people have
It is accurate
It is piston operated

Cons:

It is pricey...
Doesn't really do anything that "cheaper" ARs don't
Not to get into a spitting match about DI vs piston, but until piston-driven systems are standardized, I see piston driven ARs as more of a con than a pro. Parts are not interchangeable and if there is a problem, you can't go down to the LGS and get replacements.

If I was in the OP's position, I'd be looking at an ACR.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:07 PM   #9
CharlieDeltaJuliet

@allaroundhunter, I was shooting the 50 out to 1000( I know it was just starting to stretch out there)I was working my way up to the mile mark, but got derailed. It really hasn't even been broken in yet...lol. The carbine model I owned had hundreds of rounds through it, but the 30" model I currently own has only seen 30 rounds downrange.

@Tahunna001, As far as Stag or any other maker, I really am not interested. I own a few AR's from tier 1 down on quality. I just was thinking about the HK specifically because I have yet to own one. I know others make quality piston AR's I just like the idea of not having the same AR as everyone else. I am considering the HK to be different. Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 9, 2012, 09:07 PM   #10
kobes31

I have been reading up on some 762's and it seems the HK417 doesn't get the same reviews as the 416. Seems as though you'd be better off with a Scar 17 in both the performance and cost categories.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:09 PM   #11
CharlieDeltaJuliet

FalPhil, please, educate me on the ACR. This might be something I need to look into. I have only held an ACR, never fired one. My experience is only what you get from the Shot Show...lol.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 9, 2012, 11:23 PM   #12
globalsmack

awesome rifle. Match grade barrel. Some would rather have a lined barrel.

The only issue i have seen with it is a local owner put a wilson combat trigger in it and had problems. Put the hk tirgger back in and it was fine.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:48 AM   #13
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Awesome to know ,global, thanks. This is exactly the info I am looking for.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 10, 2012, 07:07 PM   #14
allaroundhunter

CJohnson, do you enjoy shooting out to 1,000 yards? And do you have another rifle capable of doing that with consistency?

I hate making you think of new things, I am just looking into things the .50 round does well and if you would be missing out on some of those things

Because you could make a pretty nice, custom bolt action rifle and enjoy shooting out past 1k (and even out to 1 mile). And if you use the same rifle scope that has been on the .50 you won't have to buy new glass!
Old December 10, 2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Patriot86

The plus side of the MR556 is that unlike other "Piston AR's" its Military counterpart (the H&K 416) has begun to see some military acceptance. As others have mentioned standardization between most piston AR's is non existent. In 10 years I imagine a lot of the lesser known and less popular brands/models of Piston AR's will be sidelined due to a lack of parts.

Plus side of the MR556 Many special ops groups around the globe are beginning to use it and the USMC has introduce a variant into service.
I am not an expert but I am guessing a lot of the parts are interchangeable. That means that in the long run; if you plan to have the gun 10 or 20 years from now parts might be a bit easier to come up with.

Look at the H&K G-3; it's been around for more than a half a century. Parts are mostly interchangeable with clones and are plentiful.

Then look at the AR-18/180. Cool gun back when it came out; now parts are tough to find and it is a novelty.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:15 PM   #16
barnbwt

Quote:
To be honest, the reason I want the HK is kind of vein. I want another top tier AR, and this one is just so dang sexy
Hard to get more sexy than Italian

ARX160; Sounds highly configurable, though you're basically stuck with Beretta parts . Looks good to me, though! Supposed to be coming available "sometime soon" so you may have to wait.

TCB
Old December 11, 2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Uncle Malice

It's a good gun... but as others have said, it's ridiculously overpriced just because it has the HK stamp on it.

If you want to pay a 50%+ premium just for those letters... then by all means, go for it.

I'm not a big fan of piston AR's either. I started with piston AR's because I bought into the hype of how much 'more reliable' they are.... Yes, mine were reliable... but so have been my Daniel Defense and ASA AR's. It was the non-standardization of parts on the piston guns that turned me away and the simplicity of DI that turned me on. Also, the lower felt recoil and accuracy improvements.

I don't think is going to tell you that the HK is a junk gun... it's not. It's just that it doesn't give you any benefits over a top shelf Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, etc... or even LWRC if you really want a piston gun - although the price difference there isn't quite as huge. I think LWRC is a bit over priced as well... still good guns though.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:12 AM   #18
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Thanks everyone. @allaroundhunter, yes, I still have a few long range rifles. The fifty is my favorite, I just am almost to the point of not being able to load and unload it. The last I shot it, I had to wait over an hour after setting it up before shooting, due to shaking so much and my breathing rate from the pain..

@Uncle Malice, I hope it is as reliable as my DD or M&P15. I know they are overpriced. I can get one for dealer cost. It is just something I have always wanted, as I feel soon I might not be able to shoot as much, I want to try to wear one out while I can. I am not expecting anything more than my current rifles, other than being heavier..

@barnbwt, I like that... You got me doing some research..lol. Thanks

@patriot86, thanks for the info. I have confidence in HK. I had even checked into the Hk416 upper and building a lower. If Hk would sell a lower separately I guess I would own both..lol.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 11, 2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Uncle Malice

Quote:
@Uncle Malice, I hope it is as reliable as my DD or M&P15. I know they are overpriced. I can get one for dealer cost. It is just something I have always wanted, as I feel soon I might not be able to shoot as much, I want to try to wear one out while I can. I am not expecting anything more than my current rifles, other than being heavier..
Sounds like you have a good understanding of the pros and cons and aren't expecting anything extraordinary.

I'd say go for it. It's good indulge once in a while.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:26 PM   #20
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Well I picked up the Hk today. I will upload some photos and a range report ASAP. Thanks again guys..
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 14, 2012, 09:32 PM   #21
allaroundhunter

Can't wait to see it!

Sent from my HTC One X
Old December 15, 2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Uncle Malice

Awesome. Pics for sure! Hope it runs well for ya! I'm sure it will!
Old December 15, 2012, 02:07 PM   #23
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Here is a photo I took this morning. I am hoping my back will ease off enough to get her out and see how she runs...

..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 15, 2012, 04:38 PM   #24
Coltman 77

Beautiful rifle OP, congratulations.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 15, 2012, 04:47 PM   #25
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Thank you sir. I am pleased with it so far.....
..." - Thomas Jefferson